• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Putting Correct Benificiarys Down On Retirement Accounts

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure you follow thru as soon as possible. This was a 457 plan but it would also effect 401k's and other similar programs. They cannot go in your Trust so protect your loved ones.
My oldest brother was a bus driver and has a 457 plan. He put his 4 siblings on it years ago. He never listed others like wife's or kids so when he passed it created a real dilemma. Our youngest brother died a year before. The oldest who's account this was passes this past July.
When we went to check his account the total gets divided between the 3 of us remaining. His wife and kids get nothing because they were not listed. We will find a way with other funds to equal everything out but it becomes hard this this account was a taxable one.
Another account the court has to have a petition to the court to be put into his trust so we can keep it out of probate since he put no beneficiaries on it.
If you care about family please take the steps now to make it easier on them later.
Bart

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good common sense advice. When a number of years ago I had to be the borrower (and therefore the deeded owner) on my Son's house because of his lack of credit one of the first things I did was change my will so that his house (that was in my name) went to him if I died. Why people with changes in their relationships, marriages, divorces, etc. don't immediately change beneficiaries on life insurance policies, brokerage accounts, bank accounts, retirement accounts, etc. is beyond my comprehension...

George

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This touches a nerve...
Failure to change a beneficiary after a significant life event, such as divorce from the named-beneficiary, can have very unfortunate effects. In my family's case, 40 years ago, it meant that a divorced stepmother rec'd my dad's life insurance proceeds, instead of his 3 children. Her justification for keeping the proceeds: "He must've wanted me to have the money." -- No one except her thought so.

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it weren't for the taxable aspect of it, I would have just handed the funds to the wife and children - so I guess you are saying there is a lot of work involved to give it to the proper beneficiaries. Of course there would be and should be......for various reasons.

It's a great reminder. I told my sons the same thing when they married. Before they were married and working full-time, they did the same. They both listed each other (and my daughter) as beneficiaries. BUT, you have reminded me to make sure I mention this to them AGAIN (they are married with children).

The Trust and Will mean nothing and no one wants/needs to see it when it comes to handing money to beneficiaries.

My three kids are all listed as beneficiaries in our accounts, IRAs and annuities. When husband and I are both gone, all they need to do is go to the banks with the death certificate. They will each get their share listed (all even). I have done this already with my parents and my sister. The house is a different story.....need to take care of this soon too (should have already not to create extra work/hassle for them).

This is definitely a good reminder.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son in law died suddenly at forty. He was estranged from my daughter. He loved their three little boys. He didn’t do paperwork and passed the insurance form to his brother. His brother made himself beneficiary and kept the proceeds and refused to pay for the funeral.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My son in law died suddenly at forty... He was estranged from my daughter. He loved their three little boys... His brother made himself beneficiary and kept the proceeds and refused to pay for the funeral.

We would hope our dear departed would take more care with their assets.
But more so, that survivors would not behave like carnivorous dogs. <sigh>

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son in law died suddenly at forty. He was estranged from my daughter. He loved their three little boys. He didn’t do paperwork and passed the insurance form to his brother. His brother made himself beneficiary and kept the proceeds and refused to pay for the funeral.

:( Sad.........he should have paid for the funeral and given the money to the kids.........

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who knows what goes through a person's mind as end of life nears and who knows what others will do in their self interest. I solved the problem by essentially giving all my assets to my kids and ex-wife 19 years ago. Any money that is left over is in Bank Accounts with my kids JTWROS. When I die they own it. No estate, one small Life Insurance policy to cover my cremation and no beneficiaries to fight over the chump change I have left...

George

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Who knows what goes through a person's mind as end of life nears and who knows what others will do in their self interest. I solved the problem by essentially giving all my assets to my kids and ex-wife 19 years ago. Any money that is left over is in Bank Accounts with my kids JTWROS. When I die they own it. No estate, one small Life Insurance policy to cover my cremation and no beneficiaries to fight over the chump change I have left...

George
Hi George,

I'm curious, what happens to your horse(s)?

I might have asked you this before but if so, I forget your answer.

Best Regards.

Richard

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest take I would hope people would get from this is when my youngest brother passed away a year ago (suicide) it was totally unexpected. By not listing the next in line beneficiaries they get completely left out. This was not the intent at all but it is how accounts such as 401k's , 457s and other of these type accounts work. These type of accounts don't or shouldn't be put in Trusts either. So, the best way to avoid this would be to put a spouse down and if kids list them after the spouse so if the spouse Aldo dies it then goes to the kids. Do it in the proper order if you don't want it shared with all.
In my case it goes to my wife and if she passes it is split between my 2 kids and if they all pass it goes to my grandaughter. In California at least you want to keep things out of probate which cost a fortune and can go on forever before funds are released.
Bart

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, what happens to your horse(s)?
Richard

Three of them are in Partnerships. If something happens to me, all my kids have to do is call the Partnership Manager and ask him to sell my share which at the right price is easy. The two I own 100% are located at a Training Center in Maryland. I have introduced my Brother, who lives about 40 miles away in Southeastern Pennsylvania, to my trainer. Between them they should be able to get them sold if something happens to me. At distress pricing this too is reasonably easy. Thus I think I have this covered...

Note that race horses are much like a lot of TimeShares in that they are more liabilities than assets...

George

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I had one of my employees 3 days before her death calling me to add a beneficiary to her 401K and Life Insurance. No one should be worrying about that as they are dying.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I had one of my employees 3 days before her death calling me to add a beneficiary to her 401K and Life Insurance. No one should be worrying about that as they are dying.

Better sooner than later, but at least they got it done before it was too late.

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
DH is the primary beneficiary of my IRA and my 2 kids are the secondary (or contingent) beneficiaries.

Some years ago I had a client whose husband died. His former wife still was the beneficiary of his IRA. I talked to her, and she was willing to forgo the money but was very concerned about how she would be taxed for handing over a couple of hundred thousand dollars. It was a mess!