• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

These wireless earbuds can translate languages as you hear them

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
So does it whisper in your ear what to say back in return? If so, why have I gone back to college three days a week to learn Italian????:confused::confused:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
So does it whisper in your ear what to say back in return? If so, why have I gone back to college three days a week to learn Italian????:confused::confused:

In Italian or French mode, Glynda, it may just whisper sweet nothings in your ear!!! :D:p:D

So at least you won't have fully wasted your lessons! At least you will understand what they are whispering into your ear. LOL!! :)

So now, in addition to finally having the Dick Tracy wrist communicator (Apple iwatch), we now have the Star Trek instant translator/communicator. I now stand amazed. These buds are a big improvement over my 10-year-old electronic dictionary/translator. :clap::clap::clap:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Italian or French mode, Glynda, it may just whisper sweet nothings in your ear!!! :D:p:D

So at least you won't have fully wasted your lessons! At least you will understand what they are whispering into your ear. LOL!! :)

So now, in addition to finally having the Dick Tracy wrist communicator (Apple iwatch), we now have the Star Trek instant translator/communicator. I now stand amazed. These buds are a big improvement over my 10-year-old electronic dictionary/translator. :clap::clap::clap:

Oh my, Bob! I read your response at the same time NBC was showing a new robot turning front and back flips and wondering what people will use their minds and bodies to actually do in the future! I'm just hoping my sitting in a classroom with 22 freshman, three days a week, will help stave off dementia and also come in handy in Italy someday. At least, I'll be better able to read menus at Italian restaurants! I'll skip the buds. :eek::eek::eek:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Oh my, Bob! I read your response at the same time NBC was showing a new robot turning front and back flips and wondering what people will use their minds and bodies to actually do in the future! I'm just hoping my sitting in a classroom with 22 freshman, three days a week, will help stave off dementia and also come in handy in Italy someday. At least, I'll be better able to read menus at Italian restaurants! I'll skip the buds. :eek::eek::eek:

Hey Glynda, I hear you! :thumbup::thumbup:

I am relatively fluent in French and can get along in both German and Italian, but only a smattering of Spanish. It does come in handy when travelling and not just for reading menus, although sometimes my little electronic dictionary/translator has saved the day, so won't give that up. :)

As to robots doing flips, I may have to let them do that, since my arthritic knees no longer let me do them!! The technology is amazing as to what it can do now, but agree it's still no substitute for personal knowledge and skills IMO. So keep up the studies. Besides, it is fun being able to directly communicate with someone in their own language. If electronics can help...great. But being able to do it yourself, I think comes across as more genuine and engaged. :D

I remember sitting in a restaurant in a town up in the hills on the Adriatic coast of Italy. The table next to us asked where we were from when they heard us speaking English. There were two couples, none of whom spoke much English. I chatted with one couple primarily in German and the other in French, plus a smattering of English and Italian.

We were able to understand each other and had a good conversation for the rest of the evening and even repeated it, at their invitation, the next night. So I am a big supporter of knowing multiple languages, even if it is just to be polite with basic greetings. And this is just one example of many that I could give over the years, where we got to interact because we could find a way to communicate. :whooopie:

Last edited:

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

I am relatively fluent in French and can get along in both German and Italian, but only a smattering of Spanish. It does come in handy when travelling and not just for reading menus, although sometimes my little electronic dictionary/translator has saved the day, so won't give that up. :)

As to robots doing flips, I may have to let them do that, since my arthritic knees no longer let me do them!! The technology is amazing as to what it can do now, but agree it's still no substitute for personal knowledge and skills IMO. So keep up the studies. Besides, it is fun being able to directly communicate with someone in their own language. If electronics can help...great. But being able to do it yourself, I think comes across as more genuine and engaged. :D

I remember sitting in a restaurant in a town up in the hills on the Adriatic coast of Italy. The table next to us asked where we were from when they heard us speaking English. There were two couples, none of whom spoke much English. I chatted with one couple primarily in German and the other in French, plus a smattering of English and Italian.

We were able to understand each other and had a good conversation for the rest of the evening and even repeated it, at their invitation, the next night. So I am a big supporter of knowing multiple languages, even if it is just to be polite with basic greetings. And this is just one example of many that I could give over the years, where we got to interact because we could find a way to communicate. :whooopie:

If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart. Nelson Mandela.

Once again, Star Trek on the cutting edge of technology. What imaginations they had for the 1960s!

Nice way to reach out CanuckTravlr! Making everyone's experience that much richer.

Not to mention that it is simply respectful to at least attempt to communicate with people in their own language. Years ago, in Greece, my suitcase was broken during our flight. We arrived at a luggage store as the owner locked the door and walked away. We said, "please!" in English but he shook his head. Then my husband asked him in his halting, just-learned Greek that we desperately needed a new piece of luggage. The owner's face opened up with a smile and he unlocked the door and let us in. We bought the bag and went back to our hotel. Our tour guide was flabbergasted that we had gotten the shop re-opened but then we explained and she nodded sagely. All it takes is a little communication; travelers from the US (of which I am one) don't typically read that memo. Also for the record, I am nearly incapable of learning another language. Took Latin in high school and squeaked through Spanish in college. I think I got a "pity" grade for trying so hard.

Judi

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart. Nelson Mandela.

Once again, Star Trek on the cutting edge of technology. What imaginations they had for the 1960s!

Nice way to reach out CanuckTravlr! Making everyone's experience that much richer.

Not to mention that it is simply respectful to at least attempt to communicate with people in their own language. Years ago, in Greece, my suitcase was broken during our flight. We arrived at a luggage store as the owner locked the door and walked away. We said, "please!" in English but he shook his head. Then my husband asked him in his halting, just-learned Greek that we desperately needed a new piece of luggage. The owner's face opened up with a smile and he unlocked the door and let us in. We bought the bag and went back to our hotel. Our tour guide was flabbergasted that we had gotten the shop re-opened but then we explained and she nodded sagely. All it takes is a little communication; travelers from the US (of which I am one) don't typically read that memo. Also for the record, I am nearly incapable of learning another language. Took Latin in high school and squeaked through Spanish in college. I think I got a "pity" grade for trying so hard.

Judi

Very cool! Thanks!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do not think I could ever learn German. The romantic languages, yes. Though I think I'll stop at Italian and the 4 years of French I had between high school and my first two years in college. It's funny how I can't say much in French anymore (can read a bit) but often when I'm trying to think of an Italian word, the French equivalent just pops in my head all these years later and I'm stunned because I probably couldn't have remembered it had I been asked. I agree that even attempting to speak in someone's language is the polite thing to do. Just knowing a few phrases of greeting and thanks goes a long way. But then there are the Parisians who snicker. :(

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm reminded of an incident in Pompeii.
We were dining in the cafeteria when another couple approached our table.
The guy pointed at the salt+pepper shakers and clearly an American, said:
"We borrow this, si?" DW replied in Southern accent: "Why sure, hon. Si."