• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bacteria in water off SW FL beaches (2014)

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Read this if you are traveling to SW FL and going to the beach. Bacteria levels are up this time of year. Here is a list of our local beaches with water quality concerns

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/26121317...ns-a-dozen-beaches-in-sw-florida#.U9Yn8_ldXTc

We've had various beaches off limits from week to week. There are many factors including of course run off from rains into estuaries, pesticides, bird waste, other animal waste, septic human waste, and others all contribute to the elevated readings. Here's a State of Florida link to beach water quality checks. We want the EPA money up here too :rolleyes:

I check before going to the beach about the water quality. Crystal clear and beautiful has been my experience. Glad they check it here.
http://www.floridahealth.gov/environmental-health/beach-water-quality/index.html

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Terrific resource - - thanks for posting.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lame reporting --- where's the beef?

A somewhat "detail-free" bit of reporting here, no?

Anyone genuinely concerned would likely want to know exactly what bacteria are being found to be present in excess. E. coli, for example, would plainly suggest significant sewerage discharge from somewhere --- a major (and disgusting) health hazard. Flesh-eating bacteria is still another even more dangerous possibility.
Red Tide, on the other hand, is not even bacterial at all; it's algae.

Has any of the local reporting been any more informative and detailed than this very vague and eminently uninformative NBC piece? :shrug:

Last edited:

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. We haven't been so far this summer for various reasons. Might have to just use the community pool. Hope that's cleaner:ignore:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
A somewhat "detail-free" bit of reporting here, no?

Anyone genuinely concerned would likely want to know exactly what bacteria are being found to be present in excess. E. coli, for example, would plainly suggest significant sewerage discharge from somewhere --- a major (and disgusting) health hazard. Flesh-eating bacteria is still another even more dangerous possibility.
Red Tide, on the other hand, is not even bacterial at all; it's algae.

Has any of the local reporting been any more informative and detailed than this very vague and eminently uninformative NBC piece? :shrug:

Thank you for posting this informative link which, unlike the lame NBC article referenced earlier above (and most likely written from a desk many states away from FL), this article actually contains some clear and factual identification (and further explanation) regarding the offending bacteria.

Geeeeze. These read to me like you're criticizing the OP for not having enough details to report. Just think, if LMD hadn't posted at all then other TUGgers (perhaps with better search skills?) might not have been given a heads-up at all.

Thanks, LMD, for making us aware. :)

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope...

Geeeeze. These read like you're criticizing the OP for not having enough details to report. Just think, if LMD hadn't posted at all then other TUGgers (perhaps with better search skills?) might not have been given a heads-up at all.

Not at all. With all due respect (and your "moderator" status notwithstanding), yours is a completely unfounded misinterpretation of both my posts and my clear intent.

I was crystal clear in directly pinpointing my criticism at the NBC article, which had too little (i.e., almost no) factual details and which was therefore quite thoroughly uninformative. No more, no less, no doubt or question.

Read more closely --- and then get over it. As a moderator, you can certainly intervene if I ever submit any inappropriate input (which would be a first for me), but this very clearly is not any such occasion. Geeeeze, indeed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Not at all. With all due respect (and your "moderator" status notwithstanding), yours is a completely unfounded misinterpretation of both my posts and my intent.

I was very clear in directly pinpointing my criticism at the NBC article, which had too little (i.e., almost no) factual details and was therefore quite uninformative. No more, no less.

Read more closely --- and get over it. Feel free to intervene on any inappropriate input I may ever submit (which would certainly be a first), but this clearly ain't any such occasion.

Could be something's lost in translation, sure, so I've edited my post to add, "to me" - not anything at all to do with moderation. But I will now say, as a moderator, that "get over it" isn't exactly the type of courteous discourse that's expected on TUG.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could be something's lost in translation, sure, so I've edited my post to add, "to me" - not anything at all to do with moderation. But I will now say, as a moderator, that "get over it" isn't exactly the type of courteous discourse that's expected on TUG.

Nothing there to be "lost in translation" IMnsHO --- and btw, courtesy is a two way street. 'Nuff said...

davidgreams

Reaction score
99.9% is nowhere near "virtually all" in almost any sort of bacteriological reduction testing. I run tests like these on a daily basis, and for most water filter testing, you aim for greater than log6 reduction (>99.9999%) before even thinking about pushing the filter for the next stage of verification. As for disinfectants, it is still a higher benchmark (a minimum of >99.99%) than what this article is boasting.

Viruses are typically more fragile than bacteria, and you will usually see viruses subjected to greater levels of reduction when it comes to disinfectants, but they are much smaller than bacteria, and require better filters to get them out.

The opposite is true for sporulating organisms, such as clostridium difficile, which are much larger than bacteria and viruses, but much, much harder to kill. Something that reduces bacteria by only 3 log would hardly touch c. diff.

Source: Google.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
What a coincidence that this get brought back from the dead. Just a day or two ago it was on the news that the beach on the south end of Sanibel was closed due to high bacteria count. Right at the Casa Ybel, where someone was just asking about.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
You guessed it. News tonight about dead fish washing ashore from Ft Myers to Bonita to Naples due to red tide. They say we are not getting enough rain.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Thanks for the info!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
We've owned a time share here on Marco Island for 30 years. Used to be a very busy place, even in early October. We are letting our son's family use the unit this week. Went to visit, and it was a ghost town. The streets had no traffic, the pool had 5 people in it, 80% of the pool lounges were empty, and the beach was empty. Between hurricane Irma 2 years ago and these constant water issues, people are going to other places. Don't think ANY Europeans come here anymore. We used to get a lot. The list of time shares for sale is long, and the prices are way down from what they used to be.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida Fish & Wildlife updates their red-tide maps daily and reports on most recent 8 days - a handy guide for FL trip planning - their website is here and the link to the map is right at the top:

https://myfwc.com/