• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CNN does not know much about the Hawaiian Islands

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Recently in the Travel Section of CNN online they had an Article about the 10 Best/Most Beautiful Islands in the World to visit. Number 10 was Kauai. As part of description of Kauai it said:

An active volcano keeps things spicy on Kaua'i, but Kilauea's smoking crater, lava flows and lunar landscapes are just the start of the island's searing-hot beauty.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
:eek::confused::wall:
Someone didn't do their research - hopefully CNN is being bombarded with corrections and has fired the author....

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
:eek::confused::wall:
Someone didn't do their research - hopefully CNN is being bombarded with corrections and has fired the author....

And the Editor that approved it for online publication.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It also annoys me when people (including Tuggers) call the Big Island of Hawaii, "Kona." Someone defended using "Kona," because that's where the airport is??? So I'm going to start calling Maui, "Kahului," and Kauai, "Lihue," because that's where the airports are. :rolleyes:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
News doesn’t need to be accurate, just entertaining. Therefore facts don’t need to be checked before publication. It’s why I all but ignore the news media anymore. Even the weatherman is more accurate with his forecast than the anchor desk’s reporting of the news.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
They have changed the story to read:

"With a red-hot origin story as an active volcano, Kaua'i's lava tubes and black-sand beaches are just the start of the island's searing beauty."

Though the picture still has a caption referring to Kilauea.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
They have changed the story to read:

"With a red-hot origin story as an active volcano, Kaua'i's lava tubes and black-sand beaches are just the start of the island's searing beauty."

Though the picture still has a caption referring to Kilauea.
And here's a picture of one of those famous Kaua'i black-sand beaches .....

Polihale-State-Park.jpg

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently in the Travel Section of CNN online they had an Article about the 10 Best/Most Beautiful Islands in the World to visit. Number 10 was Kauai. As part of description of Kauai it said:

An active volcano keeps things spicy on Kaua'i, but Kilauea's smoking crater, lava flows and lunar landscapes are just the start of the island's searing-hot beauty.

So is this a good example of "FAKE NEWS" ?

:doh:

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts International/Sheraton:
Kaanapali Beach Club, HGV-Max
Westin/Ventana/Marriott-Bonvoy:
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas NORTH

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
If CNN is this inaccurate in Print Online how can you trust anything CNN has to say? Obviously none of the CNN Writers or Editors have spent time on Kaua'i.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
If CNN is this inaccurate in Print Online how can you trust anything CNN has to say? Obviously none of the CNN Writers or Editors have spent time on Kaua'i.

Apples and Oranges. The online travel pages and stuff like that are most likely written and even edited by fairly junior staffers. The errors noted in the OP are likely more a window into the failings of the US educational system than an indictment of any news organization

The folks who are involved in the "hard news" and prime time roles at any of the major broadcast or cable networks are generally top journalists in their field, generally went to top schools, and are much less likely to make dumb errors like this. Even then, errors often happen in topics that require specialized knowledge. In my field of aviation, mistakes in mainstream media happen all the time - like an F/A-18 misidentified as an F-15 or something like that. To 90% of the Ameirican public they never notice it was a mistake, but to aviation geeks like me, we're appalled. Same thing with the Hawaii error - probably 90% of the American people don't know Maui from Kauai from the Big Island, so would never notice the error. I know many very smart friends who have never been to Hawaii and only think of Oahu when they think of Hawaii. I remember once telling someone who has multiple degrees and has a very good job about a trip to Maui and the reply was something like, "Oh. I love Maui. I always love seeing it on Hawaii 5-0. Diamond Head is amazing."

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Apples and Oranges. The online travel pages and stuff like that are most likely written and even edited by fairly junior staffers. The errors noted in the OP are likely more a window into the failings of the US educational system than an indictment of any news organization

The folks who are involved in the "hard news" and prime time roles at any of the major broadcast or cable networks are generally top journalists in their field, generally went to top schools, and are much less likely to make dumb errors like this. Even then, errors often happen in topics that require specialized knowledge. In my field of aviation, mistakes in mainstream media happen all the time - like an F/A-18 misidentified as an F-15 or something like that. To 90% of the Ameirican public they never notice it was a mistake, but to aviation geeks like me, we're appalled. Same thing with the Hawaii error - probably 90% of the American people don't know Maui from Kauai from the Big Island, so would never notice the error. I know many very smart friends who have never been to Hawaii and only think of Oahu when they think of Hawaii. I remember once telling someone who has multiple degrees and has a very good job about a trip to Maui and the reply was something like, "Oh. I love Maui. I always love seeing it on Hawaii 5-0. Diamond Head is amazing."

This post made me think about our trip to the Island of Hawaii in December. We have been to all 6 of the islands of Hawaii that you can vacation and have reservations for 2 weeks on the Island of Hawaii in December. We were talking to friends over dinner this summer who don't usually fly to vacations and have never been to Hawaii. We mentioned that we have a 2 BR condo for 2 weeks in Hawaii. (we usually stay in Studios on Oahu). They said they would love to go so we said OK. I don't know if they really know that they will be in Hawaii, on the Island of Hawaii, but they won't be where Diamond Head, Waikiki, Pearl Harbor are located. We will certainly invited them back for another vacation in Honolulu in the future at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Hopefully they will get over their reluctance to fly and come next year or the year after.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
This post made me think about our trip to the Island of Hawaii in December. We have been to all 6 of the islands of Hawaii that you can vacation and have reservations for 2 weeks on the Island of Hawaii in December. We were talking to friends over dinner this summer who don't usually fly to vacations and have never been to Hawaii. We mentioned that we have a 2 BR condo for 2 weeks in Hawaii. (we usually stay in Studios on Oahu). They said they would love to go so we said OK. I don't know if they really know that they will be in Hawaii, on the Island of Hawaii, but they won't be where Diamond Head, Waikiki, Pearl Harbor are located. We will certainly invited them back for another vacation in Honolulu in the future at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Hopefully they will get over their reluctance to fly and come next year or the year after.

Given the low inter island airfares, especially on Southwest, you may want to consider taking a day trip to Oahu, rent a car, and show them around, including Pearl Harbor. Just an idea.

Best regards.

Mike

Kapolei

Reaction score
The folks who are involved in the "hard news" and prime time roles at any of the major broadcast or cable networks are generally top journalists in their field, generally went to top schools, and are much less likely to make dumb errors like this.....

Journalist is nothing but a self-appointed label. Anyone can call themselves a journalist. And being backed by large corporate organization or have a diploma from a “top” school, does not enhance credibility in my opinion. Credibility comes from consistent accuracy and hard work. I find much more accuracy in subject area Internet forums than from any major broadcast or cable networks.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Journalist is nothing but a self-appointed label. Anyone can call themselves a journalist. And being backed by large corporate organization or have a diploma from a “top” school, does not enhance credibility in my opinion. Credibility comes from consistent accuracy and hard work. I find much more accuracy in subject area Internet forums than from any major broadcast or cable networks.

As a journalist myself, I have a unique perspective on this, particularly as it relates to specialty areas, since I specialize in a particular niche of the aviation industry. Journalists at the larger mass-market media organizations have to be something of a jack of all trades, especially when operating with topics that fall more into a specialty arena. That's where problems sometimes occur, in that people who don't deal with a topic every day have to report on it with authority. The major news organizations do have some reporters who specialize in certain areas, but the degree of their specialization is usually more limited than Internet sites that can become expert in a specific area. But Internet news can also be a bit of the wild west as many are so specialized or so focused on a particular point of view, that their accuracy and objectivity can also suffer. There is a place for both, and it's up to the reader/viewer to recognize the limitations of each source.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
As a journalist myself, I have a unique perspective on this, particularly as it relates to specialty areas, since I specialize in a particular niche of the aviation industry. Journalists at the larger mass-market media organizations have to be something of a jack of all trades, especially when operating with topics that fall more into a specialty arena. That's where problems sometimes occur, in that people who don't deal with a topic every day have to report on it with authority. The major news organizations do have some reporters who specialize in certain areas, but the degree of their specialization is usually more limited than Internet sites that can become expert in a specific area. But Internet news can also be a bit of the wild west as many are so specialized or so focused on a particular point of view, that their accuracy and objectivity can also suffer. There is a place for both, and it's up to the reader/viewer to recognize the limitations of each source.
Thanks, Jim, for the explanation. While I can empathize with the job a "jack-of-all-trades" travel reporter has to do in reporting with authority on a place he/she may never have actually visited before, it's so easy to do a modicum of research on the internet these days to ensure the reporting is at least accurate. The OP is right: it's pretty basic stuff to know that the Kilauea Volcano is on the Big Island and not on Kauai. I recognize that journalists have deadlines, but what happened to the Edward R. Murrow standard of journalism, which is--first and foremost--to get the story right, above any other priority?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Folks - Let's stick to the Hawaii topic here and stop trying to sneak political innuendo into the thread. It's tiresome.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Folks - Let's stick to the Hawaii topic here and stop trying to sneak political innuendo into the thread. It's tiresome.

I agree with this. The discussion shouldn’t go beyond travel reporting. The OP’s title seemed to drag this to politics because of the media outlet discussed. We all have our political opinions. But, I have zero interest in reading about other’s political beliefs here in this forum.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I agree with this. The discussion shouldn’t go beyond travel reporting. The OP’s title seemed to drag this to politics because of the media outlet discussed. We all have our political opinions. But, I have zero interest in reading about other’s political beliefs here in this forum.

It was simply a factual matter as to what News Service was involved. It could have been BBC. Another online news service I read every day. If simply reporting the name of the News Service involved is political we are in real trouble.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Given the low inter island airfares, especially on Southwest, you may want to consider taking a day trip to Oahu, rent a car, and show them around, including Pearl Harbor. Just an idea.

Best regards.

Mike

Best regards.

Mike
I thought of that but it would involve another flight and I am still holding my breath that one of them gets over their reluctance to fly. A second thought is that we are all in our 70's and don't move that fast getting up in the morning, getting ready, and traveling like we did in the past, so a day trip involving at least 3 car rides, and 2 flights, to go sight seeing may be too much for us to squeeze into a day. Furthermore, while your suggestion would give them a taste of Honolulu, we love Honolulu so much and find so much to do there that a few hours would not do it justice. Finally, we have shared a lot of time with these people over the years, since we bought a Condo in Honolulu our trips back East to see friends and family are going to be greatly limited and may stop altogether; therefore, we want future opportunities for them to come to Honolulu in the future.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was simply a factual matter as to what News Service was involved. It could have been BBC. Another online news service I read every day. If simply reporting the name of the News Service involved is political we are in real trouble.
First of all - if you have a question about moderation, the forum rules ask you to contact the Mod privately.
2ndly, you are making an incorrect assumption.