• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Increase rate of MF vs increase rental prices

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to timeshares and I am doing my research prior to making a purchase in Aruba. Looking at the average rate at which MF increases over time seems to be about 3%-5% annually. Surf Club is about 4.9%. How does the rate of rental prices compare? I know that not all resorts and time of season are created equal, but do you usually see an increase in what you can renti units for as well? Is there any correlation between MF fees and rental fees increasing? Based on some of the annual increase in MF I see out there, Aruba included, I would be paying around $2700 a year in 10 years time. Just wondering if the rental market rises as well, at least enough to cover MF cost if you cannot use your unit.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Rental prices are not really tied to maintenance fees, it's more supply and demand, which depends on general economic conditions.

If anything, the trend is for maintenance fees to increase faster than rental rates, which causes resale prices to decrease with time.

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rental prices are not really tied to maintenance fees, it's more supply and demand, which depends on general economic conditions.

If anything, the trend is for maintenance fees to increase faster than rental rates, which causes resale prices to decrease with time.

So renting may be the better option over buying a resale.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

It depends on the location, type of unit needed, supply/demand and desired season. If you are looking at summer or Feb/Mar whale season in Hawaii and consistently want a 1 or 2 bed Oceanfront then rentals spike vs. MF so there is a definite advantage to owning. This also might be the case at HHI and other high demand peak season resort areas.

I am not familiar with Aruba market so you would need to compare there. If you are flexible i.e. don't mind a studio, don't care about view, and are flexible about dates outside of school vacations then renting is probably a more economical option.

Last edited:

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on the location, type of unit needed, supply/demand and desired season. If you are looking at summer or Feb/Mar whale season in Hawaii and consistently want a 1 or 2 bed Oceanfront then rentals spike vs. MF so there is a definite advantage to owning. This also might be the case at HHI and other high demand peak season resort areas.

I am not familiar with Aruba market so you would need to compare there. If you are flexible i.e. don't mind a studio, don't care about view, and are flexible about dates outside of school vacations then renting is probably a more economical option.

Looking at Aruba Surf Club Gold season. May 1-Dec 15. Due to the kids and school, owning our own business, we are tied to that season. We would use the 1BR for sure and could lock off and rent the studio. Some years we would use the 2BR. If we could not go at all I would rent the 2BR.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
When I bought my weeks, I did so because rent was skyrocketing, soon the be out of my budget. So to be able to vacation there I purchased weeks. Weeks that seem to hold their value, but after 5 years they would owe me nothing, when comparing the difference between renting and buying. I think you need to do the math..ROI sort of comparison, and then determine if the resort holds any value, and assessing the risks when you want to sell/unload. Not sure if one is available, but consider a lock-off unit. We rent one side when we don;t need the two bedrooms.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly! If you're flexible on travel plans and book in the 60 day discount window. Many VIP owners will pass along the 50% discount and a possibleroom upgrade. I pay 50% less on a rental then what it would cost to pay my maintenance fees as a non VIP owner. Thats not including a possible room upgrade. I own a non VIP Wyndham accout and have rented many times from a VIP within the 60 discount window. Most VIP owners will charge $6/1000 on points rented.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Exactly! If you're flexible on travel plans and book in the 60 day discount window. Many VIP owners will pass along the 50% discount and a possibleroom upgrade. I pay 50% less on a rental then what it would cost to pay my maintenance fees as a non VIP owner. Thats not including a possible room upgrade. I own a non VIP Wyndham accout and have rented many times from a VIP within the 60 discount window. Most VIP owners will charge $6/1000 on points rented.

All you need is a straight man, Dominic!