• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of buying another week

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
You all are a wealth of timeshare knowledge so hoping to get some insight. I have a pre-2010 White week at Desert Springs I, of course bought in the secondary market, and have been extremely successful trading into nearly any Marriott we want - Maui, Kauai, Ko Olina, Newport, Phoenix, Vegas, Tahoe, others. We enrolled in the points program last year, retaining our week, but now have the option to convert to points, or just rent points when needed. With that, we are using a Marriott corporate Interval account, and have let our personal Interval account expire since we don't need both. I'm thinking of adding another week (not points), possibly again Desert Springs since I understand there is no ROFR, I can probably get in under $1,000, again secondary market, and my experience is that it's been a strong trader. Any thoughts? Would a different property be a better investment? Could I also bring that one into my corporate II account?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You all are a wealth of timeshare knowledge so hoping to get some insight. I have a pre-2010 White week at Desert Springs I, of course bought in the secondary market, and have been extremely successful trading into nearly any Marriott we want - Maui, Kauai, Ko Olina, Newport, Phoenix, Vegas, Tahoe, others. We enrolled in the points program last year, retaining our week, but now have the option to convert to points, or just rent points when needed. With that, we are using a Marriott corporate Interval account, and have let our personal Interval account expire since we don't need both. I'm thinking of adding another week (not points), possibly again Desert Springs since I understand there is no ROFR, I can probably get in under $1,000, again secondary market, and my experience is that it's been a strong trader. Any thoughts? Would a different property be a better investment? Could I also bring that one into my corporate II account?

You will likely not be able to bring a newly purchased resale week into your corporate account, without buying points. So, what you will end up with is the corporate account for your existing DSV week, and, you'll have to pay for another II account for the resale week. We own at DSV and it is definitely a good trader, for 20 years now.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted, you will not be able to add a resale week to your corporate account unless you pay to enroll it in some way. I wouldn't rule out other options just to avoid ROFR like Grande Vista, Harbour Lake, Willow Ridge or LV. Don't forget you'll have to pay the lockoff fee to do so and if you change or cancel, there is a fee here as well. You could trade it through an independent but I suspect this won't fit your other thoughts on trading. If you already have an II account, or one that you can resurrect, you might be able to avoid the fee to add the week to your account. Regardless I would not buy a white week. You'll already have possible closing costs and the actual price won't be that much different. IF you're comfortable with a white week at DS I then all of those I mentioned plus Gold Desert weeks should do even better for you for not much more cost. GV would also give you the likelihood of the FL Club.

ETA: I removed the info saying you could get the week for free. I was thinking white week like exchanges, not the same as Gold season at the other resorts there. Still should be inexpensive though and one might still be able to get one for free or about so.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Just a slight clarification...a post-2010 resale week can still show up in your same MVC account as your enrolled week, but as Steve and Dean have said, you can't trade that post-2010 week using your corporate II account. We have an enrolled Barony week, Trust points, and unenrolled post-2010 resale weeks at Maui Ocean Club and Waiohai, and all four ownerships show up in our MVC Account. We do not have a separate II account for the two unenrolled weeks because we have no plans to trade them in II, but if we did want to trade them, we would have to set up a separate account with II for those two weeks.

Edit: Edited to clarify reference to MVC account.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a slight clarification...a post-2010 resale week can still show up in your same corporate MARRIOTT account as your enrolled week, but as Steve and Dean have said, you can't trade that post-2010 week using your corporate II account. We have an enrolled Barony week, Trust points, and unenrolled post-2010 resale weeks at Maui Ocean Club and Waiohai, and all four ownerships show up in our MVC Account. We do not have a separate II account for the two unenrolled weeks because we have no plans to trade them in II, but if we did want to trade them, we would have to set up a separate account with II for those two weeks.
Jim you're saying your unenrolled weeks show up in your II corporate account but you still can't trade them there?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim you're saying your unenrolled weeks show up in your II corporate account but you still can't trade them there?
My unenrolled weeks only ever showed up in my personal Interval account, never my corporate one.
These are weeks we always use for home resort stays, so I cancelled my personal Interval account and they refunded pro rata the remaining period of my subscription.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My unenrolled weeks only ever showed up in my personal Interval account, never my corporate one.
These are weeks we always use for home resort stays, so I cancelled my personal Interval account and they refunded pro rata the remaining period of my subscription.
That's my experience other than I've only had the weeks show up in my personal account when I had an II interaction. New account, paid to add them, paid to extend to enroll or bought a retail week. The only time I'd think it possible for the non enrolled weeks to show up in the corporate account would be if one enrolled part but not all of the weeks, even then I'd think it unlikely. I responded to Jim with the question because previously my answer has always been they don't show up in the corporate account unless enrolled, if that advice is not 1000% accurate, even though it still is functionally, I'd prefer to know.

On a side note I wonder if anyone has had the same week enrolled and unenrolled and tried to trade the unenrolled week with II like it was the enrolled week. Would Marriott confirm the week and not realize it was the wrong week? My guess is no but I haven't seen anyone say they've tried. The only opportunities I would have had are for my MGO weeks and I never trade them so I didn't get a chance to test it. And since I am enrolling those as we speak and thus have no unenrolled weeks left, I'll never have the personal experience. If I add any more weeks it'll be for me to use consistently (? Maui EOY even) so it still won't matter.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It may be possible to sneak a second, un-enrollable week, past the goal post in your corporate II account. If you add a second week at the same resort to an individual II account, II never really adds that second week to your online account. You just call them up and do a supplemental deposit. You only need one instance of a resort in your II account to deposit as many weeks as you want from that resort.

Now we don't really know how this works in practice because I suspect many people who have tried it are mum on that it may actually work. Better to stay silent than to have Marriott catch on and put an end to it somehow. But I have long suspected that one could actually add a second "identical" resort to their enrolled ownership and use the corporate account to do their deposits. It would likely be possible you could elect points with the enrolled week and exchange the second unenrolled week through the corporate DC account. I don't think Marriott's system of deposit verification is sophisticated enough to know the difference between enrolled and unenrolled and what II account is being used to deposit.

I suspect we probably will never know for sure if this works until someone is willing to share that it does, or I just try it myself.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be possible to sneak a second, un-enrollable week, past the goal post in your corporate II account. If you add a second week at the same resort to an individual II account, II never really adds that second week to your online account. You just call them up and do a supplemental deposit. You only need one instance of a resort in your II account to deposit as many weeks as you want from that resort.

Now we don't really know how this works in practice because I suspect many people who have tried it are mum on that it may actually work. Better to stay silent than to have Marriott catch on and put an end to it somehow. But I have long suspected that one could actually add a second "identical" resort to their enrolled ownership and use the corporate account to do their deposits. It would likely be possible you could elect points with the enrolled week and exchange the second unenrolled week through the corporate DC account. I don't think Marriott's system of deposit verification is sophisticated enough to know the difference between enrolled and unenrolled and what II account is being used to deposit.

I suspect we probably will never know for sure if this works until someone is willing to share that it does, or I just try it myself.
But Marriott would still have to confirm the week, that is where the holdup could be. I wouldn't be surprised with mixed results in this area but I am curious as to whether anyone has tried and either been successful or not. If it's happening I suspect Marriott is aware at least in general. I do understand that publicizing the option may increase the volume.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
But Marriott would still have to confirm the week, that is where the holdup could be. I wouldn't be surprised with mixed results in this area but I am curious as to whether anyone has tried and either been successful or not. If it's happening I suspect Marriott is aware at least in general. I do understand that publicizing the option may increase the volume.
I do agree that Marriott has to confirm the week, but that is all automated and is their system intelligent enough to know the difference? At least right now, I suspect it isn't.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

No. My unenrolled weeks are both in my MVC account alongside my enrolled stuff - that’s all consolidated and is what I meant. Was trying to clarify for the OP that they will still have just the one MVC account but will have to have two II accounts if they want to trade an unenrolled week.

Only my enrolled Barony week shows up in my II account, but going forward even that is irrelevant to us since I don’t plan to trade in II with any of my weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do agree that Marriott has to confirm the week, but that is all automated and is their system intelligent enough to know the difference? At least right now, I suspect it isn't.
I would guess the opposite, that the system is set up to know the difference but without any experience one way or another, there's no way to tell. Even if they tell us one thing, it may not be accurate. If it's completely automated though it's likely all or none. If it's automated but someone has to click OK or not, then it may be hit or miss.
No. My unenrolled weeks are both in my MVC account alongside my enrolled stuff - that’s all consolidated and is what I meant. Was trying to clarify for the OP that they will still have just the one MVC account but will have to have two II accounts if they want to trade an unenrolled week.

Only my enrolled Barony week shows up in my II account, but going forward even that is irrelevant to us since I don’t plan to trade in II with any of my weeks.
OK, thanks for the clarification. Your post suggested otherwise.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
OK, thanks for the clarification. Your post suggested otherwise.

When I referred to "corporate MARRIOTT account" in the referenced post, I was referring to the MVC account, not the II account. I can see where using the term "corporate" my have led to confusion. I've edited that post to clarify.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I referred to "corporate MARRIOTT account" in the referenced post, I was referring to the MVC account, not the II account. I can see where using the term "corporate" my have led to confusion. I've edited that post to clarify.
I think my confusion was the OP was asking about the corporate Interval account.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think my confusion was the OP was asking about the corporate Interval account.

I understood that. I was just adding a clarification to point out that while he would need a separate II account for a new resale week, he wouldn't need a separate MVC account. I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been on that.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just purchased another Marriott resale week at the same resort I own my first resale week. Just to be be clear, the additional week gets added now as a supplemental week when deposited and would have no difference in trading power otherwise?
So no need to pay the $69 to Interval to “add” another resort?
Thank you in advance for anyone’s input.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Melissy -
You may add the new week you purchased. To avoid the fee, you may extend your II membership for X years.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Melissy -
You may add the new week you purchased. To avoid the fee, you may extend your II membership for X years.
And if you can get a discount code like 2 for 1, you can do that as well.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess what I was asking is that can I deposit weeks from this other ownership at the same resort I have in my account, without paying a membership fee or any fees.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess what I was asking is that can I deposit weeks from this other ownership at the same resort I have in my account, without paying a membership fee or any fees.
Unknown. Many here think so but Marriott could reject it. As a minimum the week would have to be transferred to your name though it sounds like it might have been already. As long as you haven't deposited the week from the week listed already you could give it a try and if it fails, list the week in your II account then try again. It'll be a great test for a situation we've discussed over the years. Just make sure that the reservation has been reassigned to you, you'll likely have to call in to do so if you have't already.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've owned the new week now since June 2019. After getting ownership of the new week, I made a reservation for July 2020. I wanted to deposit that into Interval. But yes, I have already deposited into Interval a June 2020 week from the week that I had already owned at the same resort. Y'all think this July 2020 deposit would fail?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've owned the new week now since June 2019. After getting ownership of the new week, I made a reservation for July 2020. I wanted to deposit that into Interval. But yes, I have already deposited into Interval a June 2020 week from the week that I had already owned at the same resort. Y'all think this July 2020 deposit would fail?
If you've already deposited you won't be able to do so online. Thus I doubt it'd go through. The situation we've discussed has been where you had an open spot and the only question was what ownership it was coming from. In this case they'd have to manually do a supplemental week. I personally doubt that would work out for you and if it didn't you could lose a month or 2 of deposit power if not careful.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you can rent points for less than the maintenance fee does it really pay to purchase a unit even for $1?
For example if it is 2000 points than you can rent points for around $1200 which is usually lower than the mf's/
That way you can go as often or as little as you want?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
If you can rent points for less than the maintenance fee does it really pay to purchase a unit even for $1?
For example if it is 2000 points than you can rent points for around $1200 which is usually lower than the mf's/
That way you can go as often or as little as you want?

Only if you could book the week you want for 2000 points or less. Sounds like the OP wants to use the week as an II trader, so there are not too many places/times in the MVC system where 2000 points can get a full week, unless all you need is a studio. If someone is flexible and is willing to deal with the limitations and hassles of II trading, that cheap white week can get nice trades. Can't do that with just 2000 rented points.

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only if you could book the week you want for 2000 points or less. Sounds like the OP wants to use the week as an II trader, so there are not too many places/times in the MVC system where 2000 points can get a full week, unless all you need is a studio. If someone is flexible and is willing to deal with the limitations and hassles of II trading, that cheap white week can get nice trades. Can't do that with just 2000 rented points.

I was looking at it the other way--but you are correct---the week could be used to trade.
I was thinking a week that receives 2000 points and costs $1800 in mf's is hardly a bargain.

However even if the week is 3000 pts for a 2BR I would rather rent the points as I need them for $1800 than own the week.
Sometimes you just cannot trade for what you want, or something comes up.
With so many timeshare weeks out there, it is easy to rent a week or use points.