• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Privileges: new Wyndham VIP Levels starting late 2020 [Merged]

davejulien

Reaction score
We don’t attend sales meetings. I have been tempted since they announced the changes coming but don’t go because like you I agree they will lie and say you have to buy more to retain current levels. They always had us sign we were rejecting stuff like PR so wouldn’t want to risk them saying we signed away rights lol

I was once told that if we never attended an update from 20 years ago that they would have had to honor the price as if it were 20 years ago. Reason being is because we never signed that paper that says we deny the sales presentation offer to kick us up to current day prices. I’m sure this is a lie also. Just thought it interesting.

If this is true then by you never attending then you can snag PR at the price you last attended a presentation. Again, I’m sure this is not true. Probably just told me that to make me feel guilty for turning them down.

Mr. Phil

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HHI
When the changes occur, you are grandfather in regardless of the level. Wyndham had increased the point levels in the past and everyone was grandfathered in.

I know the sales weasels lie!!! But when they share info without trying to sell me something, I get to where I can’t tell if they are really lying or are they just lost in the previous lies.

Went to an update today at Emerald Grande, Destin. Update part was normal except for where the presenter mentioned the new VIP levels that were announced (apparently only to sales) on 5/1/19 effective in 2020. In the individual meeting, I received a bit more detail.
300K for Emerald (15% in the discount window)
400K for Gold
700k for Platinum
1000K for Diamond
1400K for Titanium
Our salesperson even pulled out the note they received and flashed it in front of our eyes. It looked like it would be shared with Owners on 5/16/19. I had already had a bit of a contentious conversation with the weasel and was unable to snap a picture of the letter. I also was not given time to read any of the FAQs.

I am Gold so I asked about how this would impact me.
- Would I now be 'new' Platinum? Only if I bought 64K points.
- Well, what about my current Gold benefits? I’d be Grandfathered.
- Are New Platinum VIP benefits, at the new lower point level the same benefits as current day Platinum owners? Don’t know.

At this point we were lost in the weeds and the salesperson seemed lost as well. We never saw an option for buying more points and were rushed off to gifting. It was an odd ending to the update. Unless they were just totally BSing us, we are going to start hearing and seeing more on this change. Hopefully those attending update sessions in the coming days can gather a bit more info on this change.

Side note. The part of our individual session that got contentious was when the salesperson tried to tell me I'd missed the open enrollment period earlier in the year. What open enrollment period? For what new benefits? 5 things I was told. 1. New Perks (I have perks), 2. Club Pass changes (ie. 10 months for WorldMark reservations), 3. New Rewards Card (they wanted me to apply for a new Rewards card, I'm not doing that), 4. Plus Partners (have that, never saw any value for using) and 5. WWE or World Wide Exchange (I never understood what this was about and I'm sure it's a scam of some sort).

I always enjoy reading about updates. Thought I'd share this one, as odd as it was. The breakfast was good, BTW.

Mr. Phil

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HHI
Wyndham grandfathers in all point level status, they have done this in the past.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the changes occur, you are grandfather in regardless of the level. Wyndham had increased the point levels in the past and everyone was grandfathered in.
I can bet three more levels are added in the future. This is to daze and confuse the VIP members into buying more points then they can possibly use or need. Its called a marketing strategy. Then they can offer you a exit called Ovations. This scheme was offered to help owners exit but was really a way Wyndham helped themselves to take back what was sold at 20-30k for a price of $0. This was needed inventory developer could sell again at , yes you guessed it, 20-30k again.

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

davejulien

Reaction score
Then they can offer you a exit called Ovations. This scheme was offered to help owners exit but was really a way Wyndham helped themselves to take back what was sold at 20-30k for a price of $0. This was needed inventory developer could sell again at , yes you guessed it, 20-30k again.

The problem is Wyndham resales are nearly free. With this in mind it stands to reason that Wyndham will take them back for free. Why should Wyndham pay more then what people are paying on eBay? That really wouldn’t make much sense.

Through Ovatations Wyndham will offer direct purchase owners 3 years of maintenance for free in return for you turning in the points. This “in value” is more than you will get from eBay.

To me it sounds like Wyndham is doing the right thing with Ovations. It also fits the sales model you described so that makes it even a better fit for Wyndham as a company.

People should stop looking at owning a Wyndham timeshare like “property”. In reality it’s more like a discount book that you purchase with yearly maintenance. As long as you own “the book” and pay your dues you can get larger rooms with more amenities and better locations for a price cheaper then your your local hotel chain. Overall it’s not a bad deal but it does require a long term commitment to recover your initial purchase. Then you should ask yourself would you have been better served just banking and investing the money.

Overall I don’t think the Wyndham program is a bad one. Unfortunately it’s the sales team that lie through their teeth to get the sale. Wyndham could fix this problem but they don’t seem to really care which I don’t understand. I constantly hear the same lies coming from different locations. When I enquire they say this is how the corporate trainer has taught them. So, bottom line, you are certainly very correct... this ecosystem is very much self perpetuating.

jercal10

Reaction score
Had the misfortune to attend an update @ Clearwater( 2 BR pres.-discount & upgrade).
Started @ checkin--"Oh didn't u get the e mail about changes?"(first of 7 times that I told them no I did not).

So i went to update--John my"host" gave the robotically delivered general presentation. Then we went with John.
Lot of double talk about priveleges. Supposed to take effect 10/1? Showed us the first and second cut at levels. Not a darn thing about new benefits--other than computer changes make it "better"

Called Matt the boss over who tried to get me to go from gold to platinum. Told him to go away.

John told us WYN will no longer sell contracts less than 400K points--Ha- Ha!

They tried to sell us on some program where WYN uses our points and gives us credit-seemed like I was going to spend $40K to get points for them to use in their rental business. Didn't hear an acronnym for this program.

Finally told John to let us go.

Got $100,plus free parking for 2nd car($25).

Reminded me why I had given up on updates!

jercal10

Reaction score
After e mailing WYN HQ for clarification--received word back that priveleges program still in formulation, and would not be in effect til mid or late 2020. Not to worry.

Those people at checkin and sales @ Clearwater are jerks and deserve all I gave them. Program definitely going into effect 10/1 this year.What a group!

violetcat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Green
What about the loss of value for a VIP with the ending of cancel and rebook as it was sold to become a VIP?
That is why I got out. I lost a lot of money and points but I got fed up with Wyndham. I loved it for almost 30 years and was Diamond. But the loss of book and rebook along with "Become Diamond and you will have unlimited guest certificates!" went to 9, YES JUST 9 a year!!!! I gave small trips as presents all time to friends and family. I gave several young couples honeymoon trip as presents!!! My son even used a timeshare week for his honeymoon. I also used most all of my points each years. Then Wyndham got greedy!! I gave up, took a huge loss, and moved forward. I loved my timeshare and was good at using it. That was the problem, the companies do not want you to be good at using it!!!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is why I got out. I lost a lot of money and points but I got fed up with Wyndham. I loved it for almost 30 years and was Diamond. But the loss of book and rebook along with "Become Diamond and you will have unlimited guest certificates!" went to 9, YES JUST 9 a year!!!! I gave small trips as presents all time to friends and family. I gave several young couples honeymoon trip as presents!!! My son even used a timeshare week for his honeymoon. I also used most all of my points each years. Then Wyndham got greedy!! I gave up, took a huge loss, and moved forward. I loved my timeshare and was good at using it. That was the problem, the companies do not want you to be good at using it!!!
So true. Change the terms and what was promised is a kick in any owners teeth. Sorry about your loss. Making peace with the past is Moving forward and putting it behind you.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the loss of value for a VIP with the ending of cancel and rebook as it was sold to become a VIP?
Cancel and rebook was never a written policy of a spelled out benefit, however, it is still an option. It just doesn't work the same as before.

Baby Jane

Reaction score
We did in room survey at Nola Saturday he had the paper from website and told us we would lose benefits because people had grandfathered next to name if they were grandfathered in. Our account didn’t. Like we all don’t talk to each other and they will grandfather some people and not others. The fact they think we are that stupid never ceases to amaze me.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancel and rebook was never a written policy of a spelled out benefit, however, it is still an option. It just doesn't work the same as before.
Not the option it was sold as. No it does not work as it did before Wyndham changed the way they sold it and said it was going to pay for all maintenance fees using it.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did in room survey at Nola Saturday he had the paper from website and told us we would lose benefits because people had grandfathered next to name if they were grandfathered in. Our account didn’t. Like we all don’t talk to each other and they will grandfather some people and not others. The fact they think we are that stupid never ceases to amaze me.
You would have to be Brain dead or a agent of Wyndham to believe or to fall for the Wyndham sales pitch.

Jimag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Huh. Diamond status? Is there currently a VIP Diamond status? And, does any VIP status currently confer unlimited guest certificates? Are we talking about Wyndham?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Huh. Diamond status? Is there currently a VIP Diamond status? And, does any VIP status currently confer unlimited guest certificates? Are we talking about Wyndham?
This is probably a result of attending a Wyndham update. Diamond must have been the sales pitch of the day.

Jimag

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is probably a result of attending a Wyndham update. Diamond must have been the sales pitch of the day.
Maybe, but the post referred to Diamond VIP status in the past tense and I don't believe any present VIP status confers unlimited guest certificates, so I thought folks should be aware.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but the post referred to Diamond VIP status in the past tense and I don't believe any present VIP status confers unlimited guest certificates, so I thought folks should be aware.
If you sat through a few updates you would know anything is possible with the sales weasels trying to sell a chicken dinner

Last edited:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not the option it was sold as. No it does not work as it did before Wyndham changed the way they sold it and said it was going to pay for all maintenance fees using it.
A common theme throughout TUG is that sales weasels lie and will say anything to make a sale. That's what they did with "cancel and rebook." It was not a benefit nor a policy. It was a way to obtain an upgrade within the upgrade period and sales weasels used it to make sales - promise everything and deliver nothing.

Cancel and rebook still works, but it now works like this: if you need a two bedroom unit you book a two bedroom and a one bedroom and request a upgrade. When you are within the upgrade period check and keep checking for a one bedroom and two bedroom. If there is a two bedroom and you didn't receive an upgrade, book the one bedroom and hopefully you'll be able to secure the upgrade. If nothing comes available you still have the original two bedroom. Cancel the one bedroom within the cancellation peroid. You may get lucky or maybe not. It all depends on the time of year you want to travel and weather it's for at a high demand location or during a high demand timeframe.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Cancel and rebook still works, but it now works like this

Maybe as a non-VIP I'm missing something, but this is nothing like cancel rebook as it previously existed. This is just hedging your bets and hoping for an upgrade and/or availability during the discount period.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe as a non-VIP I'm missing something, but this is nothing like cancel rebook as it previously existed. This is just hedging your bets and hoping for an upgrade and/or availability during the discount period.
Exactly! It's a crapshoot...

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, we checked in for a one night stay at Great Smokies Lodge today. Lady at the front counter recognized me and welcomed me back (we do like this place!). Went to go get my "parking pass" and was asked if I received my email about my new benefits package and the free breakfast they offer the next morning. I said no, but I'm not interested. The guy then said, "So, you haven't opted in for your new benefit levels?" I said, "I'm Gold VIP, I know what my benefits are." He said, "But things are changing, do you know what you're being grandfathered into?" I said, "I'm on TUG...y'all dont even know what I'm being grandfathered into. One day the new levels are this, the next day they are changed. So, no, I'm not interested in going to any meetings to "learn" about levels that y'all dont really even know anything about."

He said, "Well, it's no skin off my back if you don't want to go." I said, "Good. Have a great day!" And that was it...grabbed my pass and left. Easiest "no" I've been able to give.

I could tell he was annoyed, but oh well. I'm here for one night and not spending the next morning with sales. However, we have had a great day in the parks!! It's pretty busy here this weekend. And yes, the outdoor park is still open on weekends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
So, we checked in for a one night stay at Great Smokies Lodge today. Lady at the front counter recognized me and welcomed me back (we do like this place!). Went to go get my "parking pass" and was asked if I received my email about my new benefits package and the free breakfast they offer the next morning. I said no, but I'm not interested. The guy then said, "So, you haven't opted in for your new benefit levels?" I said, "I'm Gold VIP, I know what my benefits are." He said, "But things are changing, do you know what you're being grandfathered into?" I said, "I'm on TUG...y'all dont even know what I'm being grandfathered into. One day the new levels are this, the next day they are changed. So, no, I'm not interested in going to any meetings to "learn" about levels that y'all dont really even know anything about."

He said, "Well, it's no skin off my back if you don't want to go." I said, "Good. Have a great day!" And that was it...grabbed my pass and left. Easiest "no" I've been able to give.

I could tell he was annoyed, but oh well. I'm here for one night and not spending the next morning with sales. However, we have had a great day in the parks!! It's pretty busy here this weekend. And yes, the outdoor park is still open on weekends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

She's probably the same lady who, after about a dozen increasingly emphatic NOs (make that "negative responses" -- see below), asked me if I was having a bad day. (What is the plural of "no"?)

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
She's probably the same lady who, after about a dozen increasingly emphatic NOs, asked me if I was having a bad day. (What is the plural of "no"?)

“Negative responses.”