• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suite Night Awards or Free Night?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
???

Doesn't quite make sense since the SNA process is automated from Corporate and will not be accepted or declined until five days prior to arrival.

And 5 days isn't before the day I get there and get my second upgrade? "A while" isn't specific". I certainly don't have the notice handy as it was months ago, seemed longer to me. It was an email saying I got upgraded to the ocean view bure, which was the choice I picked online for the SNA. Then on checkin, I got the second upgrade. It was before the 1-2 days I think the Marriott website quoted me.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Contrary to what a couple of others have said here, I was told that it is the individual hotel that decides and assigns the suite upgrades. I have read that there have been some problems with individual hotels violating the spirit of the SNA rules, especially among the brands in the old Marriott side as opposed to the former Starwood hotels.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get upgraded to suites without using the suite night upgrade so somewhere or another they aren't being used that often.

I generally get upgraded too without any mention of suite night awards. How do you earn these? My husband has 20 (107 nights) and I have none (32 nights). When I was managing accounts to get us both Platinum each year I had to really watch how many reservations were in his name and how many were in mine. Then we both became Lifetime and I quit watching them so close. MVC reservations default to his name and rewards number.

I just made a couple reservations in NYC. I used points from his account for one reservation and he was able to ask for upgrade request. On the reservation made with points from my account I wasn't able to put in a request for an upgrade.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I generally get upgraded too without any mention of suite night awards. How do you earn these? My husband has 20 (107 nights) and I have none (32 nights). When I was managing accounts to get us both Platinum each year I had to really watch how many reservations were in his name and how many were in mine. Then we both became Lifetime and I quit watching them so close. MVC reservations default to his name and rewards number.

I just made a couple reservations in NYC. I used points from his account for one reservation and he was able to ask for upgrade request. On the reservation made with points from my account I wasn't able to put in a request for an upgrade.

Staying 50 nights per year earns the 5-nights upgrade award, IF you elect it over the other 3-4 options,
and staying 75 nights earns another 5 (again, a choice of about 4 options)......

Potentially 10 per year, with 1 year expiration.

The choice depends entirely on whether you'll be using hotels of sufficient size to offer
a wide range of room types and suites. Many hotels might not have upgrades that make much of a difference.
There's clearly a good reason if one uses the right types of hotels. Suite night upgrades are a waste
if you don't plan on using hotels that offer good-better-best type room options.

The normal upgrades given from Marriott status are many times sufficient to get
moderate upgrades, but the suite night upgrades are a bit more special.

Last edited:

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just used my 5 SNA in Germany with a 5 night travel package last week. We got upgraded to a 1BR suite with a large living room and a separate BR. It was on top floor close to executive lounge.

I got upgraded about a week before checking in. It was great as lounge had nice amenities. The 5 SNA was worth it.

Last edited:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying 50 nights per year earns the 5-nights upgrade award, IF you elect it over the other 3-4 options,
and staying 75 nights earns another 5 (again, a choice of about 4 options)......

How do you elect these?

Once again I'll need to manage our reservations to get all nights credited towards suite awards. As it stands the 32 nights in my account aren't working for us. We have 23 more nights reserved this year. I still need to look to see whose rewards number is on each of the reservations.

Do you put all reservations under one rewards number?

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
After you sign in scroll to benefits for your elite level. Scroll to the bottom to choose your benefit.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
How do you elect these?

Once again I'll need to manage our reservations to get all nights credited towards suite awards. As it stands the 32 nights in my account aren't working for us. We have 23 more nights reserved this year. I still need to look to see whose rewards number is on each of the reservations.

Do you put all reservations under one rewards number?

Yes we make all reservations under one number.
When the level for an award is reached (50 nights), Marriott sends an email acknowledging it,
and offers a page with 4 options to choose from....you get to pick one award for the next year.
You choose by clicking on the box which identifies/describes each award.......Suite Night upgrades, Free night,
can gift a "Gold level" to another, and I think 5 Elite Nights credit that will count toward your total.

If you don't get the email after reaching 50 nights, you can check your account online to see if it's there,
maybe hidden or not yet posted, or you can call Marriott Rewards and inquire.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the email from Marriott for award choice and chose SNA for 2020. It immediately showed up in my Marriott account so hope I can make good use out of it in my upcoming trips.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think we got emails. But 20 SNA showed up.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Another good use of these rewards is for Residence Inn properties. We toured a college for our daughter earlier this month and booked a room using points (1BR for 15K points) and then requested an SNA for the 2BR which was granted five days before check-in. Using the cash rates for that night the SNA was worth about $100, an all-in 15K Bonvoy points and an SNA zeroed out what would've been a $280 room bill with taxes.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised to have gotten a SNA to go through for a SAT night at the AC Hotel in Cincinnati during "Blink." It's a pretty big festival they did 2 yrs ago and seems to be heavily hyped for this upcoming weekend. Reserved a room and put in a SNA request when we did so. Using a free night as well. Got a notice that we were upgraded today (5 days out). Had looked for reservations and these rooms were going for an outrageous amount ($700?) for that night. Guess the didn't have many takers.

Hope it works out.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Anyone have luck rolling SNAs to the next year? Have 5 SNAs in 2019 that I thought I would use in Europe, but our resorts didn’t accept. Do I just lose them if not used?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Anyone have luck rolling SNAs to the next year? Have 5 SNAs in 2019 that I thought I would use in Europe, but our resorts didn’t accept. Do I just lose them if not used?
Per T&C it is use them or lose them. Tried 4 times to use up our 10 SNA this year and am now 0 for 4 tries. I tried to use it for residence inn at Gillette Wyoming this past Aug and was told none available. So will probably lose the 10 SNA for 2019. But have made good use of the free 40k nights. Maybe we will have better luck using SNA in 2020.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Pleasantly surprised to have gotten a SNA to go through for a SAT night at the AC Hotel in Cincinnati during "Blink." It's a pretty big festival they did 2 yrs ago and seems to be heavily hyped for this upcoming weekend. Reserved a room and put in a SNA request when we did so. Using a free night as well. Got a notice that we were upgraded today (5 days out). Had looked for reservations and these rooms were going for an outrageous amount ($700?) for that night. Guess the didn't have many takers.

Hope it works out.
I would take a screen shot of your revised room type in your reservation listing just to make sure the local hotel does not try to pull any shenanigans.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

They won't extend them. I assume you received the SNAs in 2018. If you earned the SNAs in 2019, they won't expire until 12/31/2020.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
They won't extend them. I assume you received the SNAs in 2018. If you earned the SNAs in 2019, they won't expire until 12/31/2020.

Yes. Earned in 2018, for use in 2019.

Bummer on extension. Assume the same for switching to an alternate option?

If no luck, I may just have to book a trip before year end :)

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too get upgraded to suite nights as an Ambassador without ever using my SNA's. I now have 10 SNA's in my account that I have never used and will expire on Dec. 31 this year. I would like to give them to my daughter who is staying at The Ritz Southbeach but they seemingly are not transferable.