• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruise fees go overboard. Here's what to watch for, from automatic gratuities to service fees

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
With the overabundance of cruise ships, there is too much competition for passengers. Many (most?) of those are shopping for cruises on consolidators' web sites. There is very little profit to the cruise lines in this environment. Remember the similarity to the airline industry of the last 15-20 years? So expect to be paying for what has been included in cruise fare. Already the 'premium' restaurants are charging exorbitant additional prices- and remember you're already paying for meals in the main dining room. Drinks costing far more than booze ashore- and an additional 18% on top of it. Expect to see charges for 'premium' seating in the show rooms, charges for 'kids clubs', admission charges to lectures, pay-to-play bingo games, etc. etc. etc.

You may get on the ship for a bargain price, but don't expect to get off it for free.

Jim

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thats the rub, once they get you onboard you and your wallet are a captive audience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thats the rub, once they get you onboard you and your wallet are a captive audience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Very similar to the Vidanta resorts in that regard.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, a lot of seniors cruising passengers are now booking inside cabins on a higher deck / mid ship to save some dollars to enjoy those extras (speciality restaurants and excursions).

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We have very frugal German friends who fell in love with cruising on the Queen Mary II. They've sailed on the ship something like 18 times. They traveled home on it this year after flying over and spending several weeks in CA, NV, UT, AZ, and are already booked for next year. They fly to NYC on April 20 and get on the ship April 25. Sometimes it only goes as far as South Hampton, other times Hamburg. They get the cheapest room and spend all day and into the evening up on deck doing things. Their idea of dress up is long pants with their T shirts, so we were amused to see they each had a big suitcase that just stayed in the car that had evening wear and cruise clothes. I am positive that they do not spend any extra money onboard.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
We cruise 1-2X a year and we always decline auto tipping
We tip each area or service accordingly and separately

We usually do get the booze package as well. My wife might break even but I can most definitely get my monies worth on top shelf drinks. Even on land in town where we live drinks are $7-10 each. It’s our entertainment

We will sometimes get a 2-3 meal dinner package at the paid for restaurants but not always. Depends on which ones are on that particular cruise

Even with all the added things we do we still see value in a weeks worth of shows, meals and lodging

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's just a matter of time before the cruise lines start charging for luggage like airlines do.