• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Attending our presentation next week.

Pamona

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. We are scheduled to attend a sales presentation at Parc Soleil next week. We joined TUG some time ago after a friend had issues with buying a pressured contract. Anyway, we have researched and reviewed the many threads so we feel we have done our due diligence and are prepared. We are grateful that Hilton is allowing us to stay at Tuscany Village for a few days. That is why we agreed to attend. Visiting Tuscany Village in Orlando will be fun for us. We do want to thank all of the TUG people for their continued thoughtful comments and valuable information about developer vs resale situations. At the very least, we are happy that we found TUG BEFORE we attend the pressured sales presentation. It is sad to read some of the horror stories of people pressured into buying contracts that might have very little value. I have a small notebook with excerpts of pertinent threads such as the $1 per point price - the listings of the sales agents reasons not to buy resale etc. Even noted 6 recent resale ads on TUG for Parc Soleil dating this August to September. My little notebook has TUG written on the front cover. I do want to have the book with me for reference. Anyway, thanks to all TUG people for giving us the information we need to make a mature decision and avoid a potential problem. We will enjoy our days and nights at Hilton.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the very least, we are happy that we found TUG BEFORE we attend the pressured sales presentation. It is sad to read some of the horror stories of people pressured into buying contracts that might have very little value.

If you read here more you will find that, for the most part, HGVC are pretty low pressure. Most people who come here after purchasing (and, ideally, within the rescission period) talk more of making a mistake than being pressured. Certainly some of the presentations are not as low key as others, but pressure is not currently a common HGVC approach.

Nor is complete honesty, for that matter :)

Cheers.

Pamona

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you read here more you will find that, for the most part, HGVC are pretty low pressure. Most people who come here after purchasing (and, ideally, within the rescission period) talk more of making a mistake than being pressured. Certainly some of the presentations are not as low key as others, but pressure is not currently a common HGVC approach.

Nor is complete honesty, for that matter :)

Cheers.

Thank you for the distinction.

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
I attended a sales presentation at Parc Soleil shortly after buying my current property and found the saleslady to be particularly high pressure. She left me at the desk, saying she’d go get my file. I’m on my phone texting and all of a sudden she comes around rapidly and says “wait a second, it says you bought 8400 points! Why didn’t you just go straight to elite?!” And then she went on talking about RCI select for elite members and focused on Resortime access, which she said complemented HGVC very well.

Her manager came by and also got in on it but tried to play the “you look like my cousin” angle so “I’m going to present you a real to upgrade your account for a bargain price.”

They offered me Kohala Suites 8400 platinum point contract for I forget how much - $35-40k I believe. MF about $1900 and 36,000 bonus points.

I was 2 months in, more educated then when I first bought, but felt cornered. Bought. But went to post office next day with a letter to rescind. With what I know now, I’ll still go to these presentations but they ain’t gettin a penny.

They can be very high pressure at that site. Be warned. I don’t know if she’s still there, but she was from the Caribbean - Bahamas or Bermuda.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My suggestion: Pick out a nearby watering hole to which you can retreat for a drink or three after you are released by these goons. High or low pressure, they're gonna box your ears for a few hours and you will need a few to decompress and lick your wounds.

They'll say whatever lies it takes to make you think you'd be nuts buying resale. They won't take "no" for an answer and make it seem like buying is your only escape. You'll have to say something to the effect: "Fellows, time's up and I'm not buying. It'll be cold day in hell before I'd ever agree to pay you a dime for a lifetime of ever increasing MF's. It's not going to happen."

You could also go armed with printouts of resale listings from...
Redweek, the Marketplace here, eBay, and these reputable brokers:
www.sellingtimshares.net, www.judikoz.com, and www.timesharebrokersales.com

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
They may talk to you about Elite benefits that can only be obtained by purchasing direct from HGVC. I can assure you as an Elite Plus Member that the Elite benefits are not worth the extra money. They may offer you HGVC bonus points as part of the package. I can assure you as an Elite Plus member that the bonus points will not be worth the extra cost. That being said, we love timesharing and HGVC is a very flexible program. We have gotten our money’s worth after 19 years of timesharing but you could get you money’s worth from day one if you purchase resale.

Pamona

TUG Member
Reaction score
My suggestion: Pick out a nearby watering hole to which you can retreat for a drink or three after you are released by these goons. High or low pressure, they're gonna box your ears for a few hours and you will need a few to decompress and lick your wounds.

They'll say whatever lies it takes to make you think you'd be nuts buying resale. They won't take "no" for an answer and make it seem like buying is your only escape. You'll have to say something to the effect: "Fellows, time's up and I'm not buying. It'll be cold day in hell before I'd ever agree to pay you a dime for a lifetime of ever increasing MF's. It's not going to happen."

You could also go armed with printouts of resale listings from...
Redweek, the Marketplace here, eBay, and these reputable brokers:
www.sellingtimshares.net, www.judikoz.com, and www.timesharebrokersales.com

Yes...thank you....and I just printed out the resale listings as you suggested. Quite a few of them. I will include them in my TUG notebook to brink to the presentation.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Yes...thank you....and I just printed out the resale listings as you suggested. Quite a few of them. I will include them in my TUG notebook to brink to the presentation.

Your salesperson will most likely misstate the truth concerning resale. A resale purchase has the same benefits as a developer purchase except the purchase will not count toward elite levels. The first elite level starts at 14K points and really isn’t worth much anyways. You will get all other benefits and save a ton of money.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your salesperson will most likely misstate the truth concerning resale.

Certainly disappointing. We've never had anyone make this claim in maybe 7 or 8 presentations. They did claim, at times, that resales were "hard to find," but have never claimed differential benefits.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I find the Florida and Vegas reps to be higher pressure than NYC or HI. But tolerable.

Notebook is not bad. Perhaps easier is to pull out article about HGVC for sale and Apollo takeover bid. How can anyone make a decision for thousands with so much uncertainty?

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find the Florida and Vegas reps to be higher pressure than NYC or HI. But tolerable.

The one high-pressure one we had (actually, was not really high pressure, just a dick) was in NYC. Vegas has been fine.

On a trip to Orlando, where my brother's family were staying on our points, he did a tour for an additional room for friends. He mentioned that they do things on our points. The guy apparently said something to the effect that "it must be embarrassing to mooch off their points." My brother, a second-degree black belt from New York with a relatively short fuse did manage to restrain himself :)

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
One common misstatment:
Resale buyers won't be able to use club bookings, only the week where they buy.

Udder hogwash, of course. But the retort is:
Why would I buy something that I couldn't sell to someone else?

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
DON’T enter into a debate with the sales person unless you want to be there all day. Don’t tell them why you don’t want to buy, they’ll start trying to overcome your objection and it will drag out longer. The more you talk, the more ammunition you give them.

Sit quietly and know what they’re telling you is a lie. Nod your head but just answer no. If they ask why just tell them you don’t see the value for you. It’s vague, it’s arbitrary and leaves them reaching for a way to overcome a vague objection.

Pamona

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your clear and intelligent advice. My wife and I will be prepared for this coming week's presentation.

Hsahota1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
I used to pinch my kids at around the 45 minute mark in hopes they would cry, scream and annoy the sh*t out of everyone. It worked pretty much every time

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
DON’T enter into a debate with the sales person unless you want to be there all day. Don’t tell them why you don’t want to buy, they’ll start trying to overcome your objection and it will drag out longer. The more you talk, the more ammunition you give them.

I was thinking the same thing. The more the prospect talks, the more purchasing pros/cons become suitable for discussion.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

I also agree with that advice and is the approach that I would use.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If we go to one of these in the future maybe we should rent if kids?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
One idea: Tell them you need to know where the nearest BR is
located becuz you have diarrhea and may need to go very quickly.
Be surwe to jump up 3 - 4x and run off.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. The more the prospect talks, the more purchasing pros/cons become suitable for discussion.

Sometimes. It's certainly a personal choice. Maybe, because I'm a New Yorker, I like to argue, but I do engage. And, even with that, our last two presentations (in conjunction with very good packages) lasted a total of 35 minutes (15 and 20). I find that it's all in how you handle them. But that's me :)

Cheers.

Pamona

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I will certainly let you know how the presentation went. Thanks again !!! Maybe we can rent a few kids to pinch and scream on demand? Maybe not. I won't pinch my wife since she will likely just haul off and slug me. But, hey, that might help bring the presentation to a quick finish - as the EMS are responding. LOL...maybe the sales agent can continue with the EMT's. I suppose a good sales agent will never pass up on an opportunity. LOL. Seriously, thanks again for all the advice. This is one reason why TUG is such a valuable resource.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Luck. Let us know how it goes. Last presentation they were apparently shutting down the sales office.—Closing Kingsland and focusing on Ocean Tower. I think the sales guy didn’t have a new position at Ocean Tower. He seemed sad and kept us 12 minutes.

Time before that (Lagoon Tower owner update) I kind of got kicked out. Well I kept challenging the guy on all of his bogus points—Converting points and HHonors point inflation, etc.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
@Pamona Where did your post from today go? There was a lot of good information.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Yes, it is a great post to read.