• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

10 safest cities in the world

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Southeast Asia & Europe lead the list.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I’m guessing these are areas where the laws are actually enforced

In the US there’s no real punishment for crimes
Just the other day in Murderapolis there was this going on

https://kstp.com/news/robbery-victi...minneapolis-suspects-arrested-police/5488467/

We need to give parents the right to discipline their kids, hold parents accountable for what the kids are doing, and bring back holding court in the streets and then some of this might dissipate

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
No surprise that USA hasn't a single entry.
Not surprising, but very disappointing. I’m a little surprised an Australian city didn’t make the list.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Okay, hold on here - a couple of points worth noting:

The article itself says: "....Unfortunately, crime exists in all parts of the world and it can sometimes be difficult to avoid. However, book your holiday in one of the 10 cities listed below and you have extremely good odds of enjoying a peaceful and incident-free adventure. Check out some of the safest cities in the world that also double as excellent vacation destinations...."

That distinction is important - it does NOT mean these are the 10 safest cities in the world.

Also from the article (commenting on Tokyo): "...The bigger the city, the more dangerous it is? Not true for Tokyo. This city has a population of over 13 million and it’s still one of the safest cities on the planet. In terms of how well your cyber security is protected, Tokyo is ranked on top. This means identity theft is super rare and digital privacy is highly respected and protected. The low crime rates are probably related to the fact that the majority of the Tokyo residents are considered “upper-middle class.” What’s more? Tokyo boasts a world-famous nightlife scene which can be enjoyed worry-free!.."

When it comes to security concerns, while not meaning to discount cyber security entirely, personal security is a far more important consideration to most people.

This article appears to be one author's opinion - for what that may be worth.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of it is cultural. We noticed in Tokyo, a parking structure with 10's of thousands of bicycles near the train station- and most of them unlocked. And out walking around very late at night- no traffic, and the Japanese pedestrians would wait for a 'WALK' light before crossing a street. It is quite simply a law abiding society.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tokyo
The murder rate of 0.3 per 100,000 people is among the lowest in the world.... Gun-deaths rarely rise above 10 a year.

Virtually the one rising criminal fraternity is the elderly. Senior citizens now account for about 20 per cent of arrests and detentions. As the population ages the over 65s commit nearly four times more crimes than they did two decades ago.

One result is that Japan’s jails are filling up with the infirm: more inmates need help with walking, bathing and even using the toilet. The government recently allocated a budget to send care workers to about half of the nation’s prisons.

Yet, Japan has more than 15,000 more police personnel than it had a decade ago, when crime rates were far higher. The density of officers per population is particularly marked in Tokyo, home to the world’s biggest metropolitan police force. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...oo-many-police-not-enough-criminals-1.3451997

Singapore
Singapore is increasingly using harsh laws to severely restrict freedom of speech and assembly, Human Rights Watch said Wednesday, urging authorities to let people publicly debate matters of national interest.

A report from the New York-based rights group said that while the financial hub was an economic success, it was time to relax tough regulations which are not in line with international human rights standards.

“Singapore promotes itself as a modern nation and a good place to do business, but people in a country that calls itself a democracy shouldn’t be afraid to criticise the government or speak out about political issues,” said Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch (HRW).
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/sout...e-getting-even-tougher-free-speech-says-human

Amsterdam
Holland and other countries have offered clean needle exchanges for 35 years. Pennsylvania still has a ban on such programs," she said.

Two other significant differences between Holland and the U.S. relate to heroin addiction and the increasing popularity of recreational drugs such as Ecstasy (MDMA), said Ruben Boers, co-founder of EduTravel and an anthropologist and lecturer at The Hague University of Applied Sciences.

Boers said the Netherlands does not have an opioid crisis and, in fact, heroin addiction has been declining in Holland.

“Today, the government is helping the shrinking population of heroin addicts by providing shelters, minimal doses for those who cannot cure themselves and counseling to help them finally better their lives," said Boers. "One such shelter has been running successfully since 1998.”
https://news.psu.edu/story/567314/2...criminal-justice-students-visit-holland-study

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vacationed in Tokyo for the first time this summer . I absolutely loved it -- much more than European destinations. Part of it was the complete feeling of safety. As previously posted, no one locks their bikes. If I rode my bike to a Metra station near my house to commute it would most likely be gone within a week even with being locked. Felt complete safety from thieving , pick pocketing. Complete personal safety at night. This type of atmosphere / culture made me love it and would return in a second if I could.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vacationed in Tokyo for the first time this summer . I absolutely loved it -- much more than European destinations. Part of it was the complete feeling of safety. As previously posted, no one locks their bikes. If I rode my bike to a Metra station near my house to commute it would most likely be gone within a week even with being locked. Felt complete safety from thieving , pick pocketing. Complete personal safety at night. This type of atmosphere / culture made me love it and would return in a second if I could.
Us too. We'll be back in November as well as in Osaka and other Asian metropolises. It's very interesting to experience such an orderly society. Every working person wears a uniform of some sort, and obeys signs. Kinda reminds me of a hive of bees or a nest of ants. Every occupant has- and knows it's place in the society.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that the USA has many more prisoners per capita than any other country in the world, I doubt that's the problem.
At the risk of leaning on TUG rules, American laws are not equally enforced. If one is an educated, middle-to-upper income white person, they are MUCH less likely to experience jail time than if one is uneducated, poor and brown. The poor can't afford bail, or legal representation, so they remain jailed over even minor infractions. This is a societal issue.

Jim

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Given that the USA has many more prisoners per capita than any other country in the world, I doubt that's the problem.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Prisoners/Per-capita

Yeah
We lock up more than others but that’s usually a slap on the hand

There’s no real consequences for crimes
Many know they will get off or get little time

Places that have very strict punishments have less crime

I know hangings in the town square is a thing of the past. But I bet many would reconsider their actions if they thought for a minute that swinging downtown was a probability

There’s too many loopholes
I know I guy who regularly committed crimes. Even had tracks in the snow going right to his house from a crime scene. He walked every time as he always hired high profile lawyers

One time committed a minor crime and hired a cheap lawyer
They gave him the max as they were after him for decades

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Us too. We'll be back in November as well as in Osaka and other Asian metropolises. It's very interesting to experience such an orderly society. Every working person wears a uniform of some sort, and obeys signs. Kinda reminds me of a hive of bees or a nest of ants. Every occupant has- and knows it's place in the society.
OOOOOh -- lucky you. I hope you have a wonderful trip. I just loved everything about Japan , particularly Tokyo. It absolutely exceeded my expectations. The manners and civility are just so refreshing. And it's QUIET. I could go on and on. I hope someday to be fortunate enough to return. I do have a female friend, my age, who does business there a lot. She told me that I would hate doing business there, however.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Some of it is cultural. We noticed in Tokyo, a parking structure with 10's of thousands of bicycles near the train station- and most of them unlocked. And out walking around very late at night- no traffic, and the Japanese pedestrians would wait for a 'WALK' light before crossing a street. It is quite simply a law abiding society.

We saw quite a few bicycles not locked in Copenhagen and Stockholm too.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We saw quite a few bicycles not locked in Copenhagen and Stockholm too.
In Amsterdam they have to dredge the canals and regularly pull out 10,000 bicycles.

Brett

Reaction score
Yeah

I know hangings in the town square is a thing of the past. But I bet many would reconsider their actions if they thought for a minute that swinging downtown was a probability

I know I guy who regularly committed crimes. Even had tracks in the snow going right to his house from a crime scene. He walked every time as he always hired high profile lawyers

yeah, public hangings in the town square will solve crime problems in the US :rolleyes:

Cities in Japan always appear on top safety lists. I believe it's cultural and possibly something related with the ability to buy .... unmentionable weapons that start with the letter G

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
These lists are never totally accurate. They do spark conversation though.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
yeah, public hangings in the town square will solve crime problems in the US :rolleyes:

Cities in Japan always appear on top safety lists. I believe it's cultural and possibly something related with the ability to buy .... unmentionable weapons that start with the letter G

Public hangings would not solve anything IMO. Because Big, Big Money is behind the drug problems and crime in the USA. Drug use and the cost of buying drugs daily causes most crimes in our country. How many Big drug dealers have large commercial planes and boats to bring in drugs by the tons?? Some of the largest dealer in the USA are medical doctors and the manufacture of oxycontin. IMHO.
The largest supplier of drugs are from China. Finally, these drugs are delivered by
The USPS.

Why are the AG from over twenty states suing the maker of oxycontin?

Last edited:

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in the UAE for over a month a few years ago, stayed in 5 of the 7 Emirates. In all of them but Dubai, when you went to a mall you would see cell phones plugged in charging completely unattended, the owners of the phones nowhere in sight. Also noticed at all the eateries, people would just leave all their packages on the tables, including purses and go and order food. Nobody ever bothered anything. I have to say we became extremely lax ourselves, and never once did anything go missing. It was very nice, and you could come and go at all hours of the night and be completely safe. We had to do a complete reset when we came home.
Also, I saw on many occasions in the stores I saw ladies in line in front of me, and they would pull huge wads of bills out of their purses to pay for their purchases in cash. Apparently they couldn't count, so they would hand the wad of bills to the cashier , who would take the amount needed and hand the rest back. I am positive their was never a "mistake" in the change given back.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'll offer this point to ponder on this topic:

There was a time in the United States where unlocked doors, packages left on doorsteps (milk left on doorsteps), and community flourished.
We need those days again.
But on the path we're on, they aren't coming back anytime soon unless common sense returns first.

Brett

Reaction score
We were in the UAE for over a month a few years ago, stayed in 5 of the 7 Emirates. In all of them but Dubai, when you went to a mall you would see cell phones plugged in charging completely unattended, the owners of the phones nowhere in sight. Also noticed at all the eateries, people would just leave all their packages on the tables, including purses and go and order food. Nobody ever bothered anything. I have to say we became extremely lax ourselves, and never once did anything go missing. It was very nice, and you could come and go at all hours of the night and be completely safe. We had to do a complete reset when we came home.
Also, I saw on many occasions in the stores I saw ladies in line in front of me, and they would pull huge wads of bills out of their purses to pay for their purchases in cash. Apparently they couldn't count, so they would hand the wad of bills to the cashier , who would take the amount needed and hand the rest back. I am positive their was never a "mistake" in the change given back.

I would think the UAE is crime safe .. as long as you don't violate any "moral" laws - and certainly no G weapons allowed !

"the United Arab Emirates has a legal system based on a hard-line interpretation of Shariah law often lands foreigners in jail for offenses that few Westerners would dream were even crimes"
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/world/middleeast/dubai-crimes-united-arab-emirates-jail.html

Last edited:

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

I must have misread my own post

Still can’t find the word solve anywhere...

I did however find the word reconsider

Brett

Reaction score
Yeah

I must have misread my own post

Still can’t find the word solve anywhere...

I did however find the word reconsider

OK ... just misreading ... it's "word solving"

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think the UAE is crime safe .. as long as you don't violate any "moral" laws - and certainly no G weapons allowed !

"the United Arab Emirates has a legal system based on a hard-line interpretation of Shariah law often lands foreigners in jail for offenses that few Westerners would dream were even crimes"
You don't mention who you are quoting here, but the Framers of our Constitution were all too familiar with what happened when England and Italy, and Egypt (and other places Western Europeans fled to come to America) had a 'State Religion' dictated, and made second only to Free Speech/Press that there would be no State Sponsored religion in the United States.

I expect this post to be eliminated by a moderator for violating TUG prohibition against mentioning 'controversial' subjects, but I feel that there are factions who wish to make a certain religious belief the 'Law of the Land'. From Benjamin Franklin,
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Jim