• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

BUYING A WESTGATE RESALE SECONDARY BUYER PLEASE HELP

Cal_florida

Reaction score
Hi
As the title states I am interested in buying a Westgate resorts timeshare resale from SellMyTimeShareNow
The resort is based in Kissimmee, Fl and there are 3 different types of Westgates all within a stones throw of each other, I don’t mind which one as they are all so close.
I have been staying in one of those 3 properties until today.
I went to the Westgate sales pitch with all intentions of purchasing a timeshare that day until I was blown away by the costs - the maintenance was within in my price range but the asking price was way off.
As I would love a place in Florida (im from the UK and visit once or twice a year) I searched for alternatives online to fulfill this ambition of mine. I came across SMTN with units with my requirements ( 2 bed/float/annual) for a fraction of the developers price I have to pay a title fee credit but it is still about 60-70% of what westgate showed me.

My question is after reading on here about resale purchases are their any restrictions for secondary buyers??
I have read that your account is flagged and westgate treats you like dirt
And that you are charged 3x the amount to switch your weeks.

Me and my wife are just below 30 and have a very young daughter that we’d like to enjoy our vacations as a family all we are looking for is a home resort (we have no desire to try or trade to any of westgates other resorts) and to split our 2 bed so that we can have 2 weeks a year in a 1 bedroom and enjoy all the perks of being a westgate owner every year we visit such as complementary activities on site discount park tickets and discount at on site restaurants etc

Thank you in advance

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Don't do it.

You can get a resale Westgate for free. There is a reason for that. It's worthless.

Do your research. A timeshare in a different system may be a much better fit for you.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I'll be posting tomorrow FREE here on tug (I know I said I would do it last weekend lol) 2 weeks at SVV , St, Augustine village at Sheraton Vistana Villages, both 2BR lockoffs easy to split.

Deed is weeks 37 + 38 mid September so it may not work for you. Not sure if you can book different weeks at SVV others on here are more knowledgable. They informed me that the ability to use points is lost on transfer.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
My question is after reading on here about resale purchases are their any restrictions for secondary buyers??
And that you are charged 3x the amount to switch your weeks.

Keep researching here and otherwise; you will learn that Westgate (known locally as "Wastegate") has a terrible reputation.

Stay away. You can do better.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anhyd that you are charged 3x the amount to switch your weeks.
You answered your own question. Wastegate as they are known here is best avoided like the plague! They overcharge rresale buyers. Floating week resale buyers can't book until like 2 months before move-in based on availability. Guess what? There is NO availability! Or what's left has a view of the rubbish bins.

Buy ANY other company's resale unit, but NEVER Wastegate!

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep researching here and otherwise; you will learn that Westgate (known locally as "Wastegate") has a terrible reputation.

Stay away. You can do better.

Yes, stay away from Wastegate. Take a look at the Marriott system. They have a lot of very nice resorts in Orlando!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, stay away from Wastegate. Take a look at the Marriott system. They have a lot of very nice resorts in Orlando!
They also have a couple of nice resorts in Spain if you get tired of those British Winters.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Don't do it.

You can get a resale Westgate for free. There is a reason for that. It's worthless.

Do your research. A timeshare in a different system may be a much better fit for you.

This is smart advice. Westgate is regarded as one of the worst in terms of how they treat resale owners. Take your time, given your age you will be living with the choice for potentially many years. That said, timeshare ownership has many benefits as I'm sure you are aware.

In your situation I'd suggest three possible systems which are a potential good fit and have high quality resorts:

- Marriott - there are a lot of options in the Orlando area and you can get 2BR lock-off units which can be used to break into two separate one week 1BR vacations. You could look at getting a platinum week or possibly the points system (fairly expensive but flexible). Resale owners are treated fairly well from what I've read here.

- Hilton Grand Vacations - Again there are several options here in line with what you are looking at. Resale units are treated nearly identically to developer purchased. There is also a well regarded point system that can be used to exchange into other Hilton resorts. Being from the UK you could potentially purchase at the Scottish resort they have and then use points to book into Orlando (not sure on the MF proposition here - best to ask the TUG HGVC owners.)

- Vistana - You would have to be selective here but an Sheraton Vistana Villages 2BR lockoff that comes with Mandatory StarOptions would be a good choice - you would be treated almost identically to a developer purchase. Again, this could be locked off to enjoy two vacation weeks. The StarOptions can also be used to book into other resorts or into a lower season in which case you can get an extra day or two.

Many people also like Disney Vacation Club (very expensive!) and Wyndham (good locations if you are a Disney fan but probably a step down in quality from the above systems) so you may want to check those out. I would spend some time looking through the specific forums for these timeshare systems to learn more. I'd also recommend joining TUG ($15 USD) which will give you access to resort reviews.

Good luck and welcome to TUG!

Cal_florida

Reaction score
Don't do it.

Thanks for getting back
- this particular resort in westgate is one of the best we’ve stayed in and location is perfect we’d love to come back year after year would you suggest just renting?

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Welcome to TUG Cal_florida!

Before you do anything, please relax, take a deep breath and slow down. Please take your time and research and ask more questions.

There are many more choices than Westgate. You say that you have no interest in visiting timeshares
other than Westgate. I’m 99.99% sure you will change your mind in the future. Westgate timeshares are given away for free. There are timeshares all over the globe you can exchange into, or maybe one right in your area.

I was able to get a FL beachfront unit for $1.00 on eBay. The good deals are out there; you just need patience to wait for what you want and need.

This link maybe helpful. If you fill it out we can answer more questions for you:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-new-timeshare-owners.208742/

Cal_florida

Reaction score
This is smart advice. Westgate is regarded as one of the worst in terms of how they treat resale owners. Take your time, given your age you will be living with the choice for potentially many years. That said, timeshare ownership has many benefits as I'm sure you are aware.

In your situation I'd suggest three possible systems which are a potential good fit and have high quality resorts:

- Marriott - there are a lot of options in the Orlando area and you can get 2BR lock-off units which can be used to break into two separate one week 1BR vacations. You could look at getting a platinum week or possibly the points system (fairly expensive but flexible). Resale owners are treated fairly well from what I've read here.

- Hilton Grand Vacations - Again there are several options here in line with what you are looking at. Resale units are treated nearly identically to developer purchased. There is also a well regarded point system that can be used to exchange into other Hilton resorts. Being from the UK you could potentially purchase at the Scottish resort they have and then use points to book into Orlando (not sure on the MF proposition here - best to ask the TUG HGVC owners.)

- Vistana - You would have to be selective here but an Sheraton Vistana Villages 2BR lockoff that comes with Mandatory StarOptions would be a good choice - you would be treated almost identically to a developer purchase. Again, this could be locked off to enjoy two vacation weeks. The StarOptions can also be used to book into other resorts or into a lower season in which case you can get an extra day or two.

Many people also like Disney Vacation Club (very expensive!) and Wyndham (good locations if you are a Disney fan but probably a step down in quality from the above systems) so you may want to check those out. I would spend some time looking through the specific forums for these timeshare systems to learn more. I'd also recommend joining TUG ($15 USD) which will give you access to resort reviews.

Good luck and welcome to TUG!
Thank you very much for this useful reply and I’ll look into those companies
We do just love the Westgate resort we stayed in but it’s such a shame that resales are treated differently this surely hurts their brand in the long run not to mention owners who for whatever reason would like to sell to an eager buyer who just wants to enjoy his vacation in a home away from home!

Cal_florida

Reaction score
Welcome to TUG Cal_florida!

Before you do anything, please relax, take a deep breath and slow down. Please take your time and research and ask more questions.

There are many more choices than Westgate. You say that you have no interest in visiting timeshares
other than Westgate. I’m 99.99% sure you will change your mind in the future. Westgate timeshares are given away for free. There are timeshares all over the globe you can exchange into, or maybe one right in your area.

I was able to get a FL beachfront unit for $1.00 on eBay. The good deals are out there; you just need patience to wait for what you want and need.

This link maybe helpful. If you fill it out we can answer more questions for you:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-new-timeshare-owners.208742/
Thanks very much for getting back
I mean that in the sense that this particular westgate is ideal for my family needs and location is perfect and on the sales shtick they kept going on about how I can stay in Vegas or Tennessee in exchange for my week ( all sounds good but this is just something that doesn’t interest me as I only go Florida for my vacations)
I will look for other deals I’m in the Gulf Coast of Fl at the moment and if I could find a place here for a $1.00 like you did I’d be over the moon!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Thank you very much for this useful reply and I’ll look into those companies
We do just love the Westgate resort we stayed in but it’s such a shame that resales are treated differently this surely hurts their brand in the long run not to mention owners who for whatever reason would like to sell to an eager buyer who just wants to enjoy his vacation in a home away from home!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the resort. If you loved the Westgate then I'm sure you would be even more thrilled with the resorts in the other systems mentioned. The highest ranked Westgate Orlando area resort is ranked significantly below even the lowest Orlando area resort in each of these other systems. You can always try renting a place in the other systems until you find what you enjoy most. Take your time and don't let emotion drive the decision.

lauramiddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Orlando is over-built You can often rent orlando resorts for less than the annual maintenance fee. It's also probably the easiest trade to get in Interval International. I always see nice resorts available for trade regardless of the time of year. I also think because of the competition, some of the less-regarded chains nationally, have very nice resorts in Orlando--Bluegreen and Wyndham come to mind.

There is no rush here. Take your time and even try out a few more resorts before buying.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back
- this particular resort in westgate is one of the best we’ve stayed in and location is perfect we’d love to come back year after year would you suggest just renting?

Have you ever stayed in a timeshare resort that wasn't a Westgate? For example, Wyndham or Marriott?

According to the Tug reviews, the highest-ranked Westgate property is No. 32.

I'm not saying all Westgate resorts are bad places, I'm saying there are lots of timeshare systems to consider before committing to something difficult to get out of.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Even though you think you only want Orlando, that probably will change overtime. One of the biggest aspects of acquiring a timeshare is how easy can I get out. Wastegate units are very hard to even give away. A solid chain chain like HGVC, Wyndham and even Marriott might work better for you. They are more desired and are might be easier to get rid of if life happens.

As your family ages, Orlando may lose its luster and if you buy the Wastegate in Kissimmee, you will be limiting yourself to a place you may not want to travel to. Buying a timeshare is potentially a life long decision and you don’t want to stuck with something you don’t want to use and can’t get rid of.

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort-Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
deleted

Last edited:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Wastegate is worst US TS company.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Cal_Florida:
Welcome to TUG!!

You have no idea just how lucky you are that you
1) did not buy from the developer Westgate
2) did not buy resale Westgate
3) found TUG in time to become educated to make a rational decision about whether to purchase.

If you wish to visit that Westgate resort again, just rent. Never even consider buying Westgate resale.

This coming summer, try one of the Marriott resorts in Orlando. Marriott Grande Vista or Marriott Cypress Harbor or Marriott Harbour Lake (if child is under 10 or so).
Marriott have fabulous activities for the entire family at their resorts.

Then search on ebay. (You may browse there now to see what the price ranges within which Orlando Mariotts sell. There will be many Marriotts for sale on ebay. If you decide to buy, ask us whether the seller is well known and reputable. Then attempt to buy. If may take a few attempts, so be patient.

Cal_florida

Reaction score
Hi Cal_Florida:
Welcome to TUG!!

You have no idea just how lucky you are that you
1) did not buy from the developer Westgate
2) did not buy resale Westgate
3) found TUG in time to become educated to make a rational decision about whether to purchase.

If you wish to visit that Westgate resort again, just rent. Never even consider buying Westgate resale.

This coming summer, try one of the Marriott resorts in Orlando. Marriott Grande Vista or Marriott Cypress Harbor or Marriott Harbour Lake (if child is under 10 or so).
Marriott have fabulous activities for the entire family at their resorts.

Then search on ebay. (You may browse there now to see what the price ranges within which Orlando Mariotts sell. There will be many Marriotts for sale on ebay. If you decide to buy, ask us whether the seller is well known and reputable. Then attempt to buy. If may take a few attempts, so be patient.
Thanks very much for your response

After a few days thinking it over I’m SO glad I didn’t make an impulse/emotional decision and buy!
Not because I wouldn’t be satisfied taking my family to westgate every year and feeling like owners but just because of the way they treat resale owners and even current owners who are looking to sell, and also the amount of deposit they want up front I have no idea how they get families to pay that (at our sales pitch every 10 mins or so an announcer would say congrats so n so from so n so on being westgate owners
Thanks to everyone at TUG for keeping me grounded!

Reaction score
Suggestion: If you can find it online, watch the documentary "Queen Of Versailles". That chronicles David Siegel and his family, he owns the Westgate timeshare corporation. It shows how he is obsessed with money, greed to the highest caliber. Versailles is not in France, that is his opulent mansion outside Orlando.

TS

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Cal_florida welcome to TUG. Congrats on making a wise decision. As other tuggers have stated. You are young and should take your time. Places that I would be happy staying, when I was 30 are not the same in my 50s. A lot can change in 20 years.

There is a train of thought that owning someplace you can drive to in a flexible trading system is ideal. That way if airfare skyrockets, or trading fees become horrendous, you can stay at your home resort. HGVC has resorts in Scotland, Portugal and Italy that can be traded easily. Marriott has Spain and Paris Disney.

Rent from these other systems, learn about them, then decide. You could easily keep renting in Florida with zero obligation.