• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Orlando resort.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Hello tuggers, I am looking for advice. I have been asked to plan a girl’s week in Orlando during April or May. We are all retired therefore very flexible with dates. I have only stayed at Mystic Dunes, Grand Beach and a couple of Marriotts in the past . We are not interested in any Disney parks, only sun and relaxation. I am looking for a nice resort with nice pools. We will drive from Charlotte, NC and will have a car. Looking at II, there are many options, all reasonably priced. I see the Star Island Resort at an excellent weekly rate. What are your thoughts? I welcome your opinions.

Thank you.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
For II I’d try for a Marriott. End April thru may should be easily available without Marriott preference.if you’re renting via II getaway, I’d still want Marriott if it’s not much more than the others.
Star island was fine for us, good pools, but many years ago.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest looking at the TUG ratings----since you are a Member.

That'll give you a pretty good idea of the difference between say a 9.2 (out of 10), a 8.2, a 7.2, etc...

Pat

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
For II I’d try for a Marriott. End April thru may should be easily available without Marriott preference.if you’re renting via II getaway, I’d still want Marriott if it’s not much more than the others.
Star island was fine for us, good pools, but many years ago.

I agree.

Lakeshore would be ideal for a non-park trip but may be tougher to trade for (and too expensive as a getaway).

Sabal/Royal Palms have access to the main pool at the World Center resort which is really nice.

Cypress Harbour and Grande Vista are really nice and may have activities that are worthwhile for your group.

Sheratons are also really nice but I'd have to rely on the TUG ratings past that - I generally am in Orlando for the parks...

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Consider at least going to EPCOT one day to see the Flower and Garden Festival. Your group would probably enjoy the flower arrangements and the butterfly house.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My first choice would, of course, be any of the Marriotts. Unfortunately, as of right now, no 2 bedrooms available during my April/May timeframe. Should I wait?

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would suggest looking at the TUG ratings----since you are a Member.

That'll give you a pretty good idea of the difference between say a 9.2 (out of 10), a 8.2, a 7.2, etc...

Pat
I have read reviews on TUG and Trip Advisor. The ones on TUG are very dated and mostly positive. Hundreds of recent ones on TA, the vast majority very favorable. Hard to beat $ 357 for a 2 bedroom. Obviously, I’d prefer a Marriott but nothing available right now.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Consider at least going to EPCOT one day to see the Flower and Garden Festival. Your group would probably enjoy the flower arrangements and the butterfly house.
Sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Also, if you consider the Festival at EPCOT, look at the Flower Power music schedule - there may be some bands from the 60's scheduled to play there that you would really like to see , at no extra charge. Herman's Hermits, for example.

We are glad we went there so many times, and saw acts that we will never see again. RIP Davy Jones (Monkees), Rob Grill (Grass Roots), Paul Revere (The Raiders), David Cassidy, several more.

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first choice would, of course, be any of the Marriotts. Unfortunately, as of right now, no 2 bedrooms available during my April/May timeframe. Should I wait?

It's too early to book for April / May and get the best price. I would look at booking in January / February. Unless there are specific dates you are looking for, I'd just wait for a getaway sale and get the best price -- I wouldn't exchange as those dates aren't hard to get for a getaway. For example, we stayed at a Marriott in the end of May in 2018 and paid 390 for the week (I think if I was a bit more patient, I could have gotten a slightly better deal or something on an AC).

Good Luck!

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's too early to book for April / May and get the best price. I would look at booking in January / February. Unless there are specific dates you are looking for, I'd just wait for a getaway sale and get the best price -- I wouldn't exchange as those dates aren't hard to get for a getaway. For example, we stayed at a Marriott in the end of May in 2018 and paid 390 for the week (I think if I was a bit more patient, I could have gotten a slightly better deal or something on an AC).

Good Luck!
Thank you, I think I will wait. I want to impress my friends with a week at a Marriott.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest Sheraton Vistana Villages. (SVV resort code on Interval) We are a retired couple and we were just there middle of August. The resort is really nice and the pools are exceptional. The main pool is the largest one of all the resorts in Orlando. There is also a quiet pool just for adults with cabana's available for free. Large resort with many fun activities for adults as well as kids. I think you would enjoy it. You can Google this resort to get an overall look at it.