• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confused about Marriott's points order when using a variety of banked, rented and enrolled points

Ryes

Reaction score
What order does marriott take my points if I have:

1: 210 banked points from 2018,
2. 1000 rented legacy destination points for 2020, and
3. 4000 vacation club points for 2020 from enrolling a week.

for a reservation I want to book now for 2020.

This is important because I want to save 3000 of the points for 2021, so if they don't use number 2 before number 3, then I can't do that.

Also, if I can't use the banked points for the 2020 reservation, could I convert it to resort credit and use that for the 2020 reservation even though the banked points expire in 2019??

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
In my experience, they do a decent job of allocating them. That said, when finalizing the ressie, it will allow you to select how you want it allocated. If you can't get it just right, after you make the ressie, you can call a VOA and they will get somebody to swap your points around so you end up with what you want.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use the online system, you can select whichever pool of points you want to use. If you call, you can similarly tell them how you want the points allocated. Like what Fasttr said, even if you get it wrong, you can call back and they will get a supervisor to shuffle for you.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think in general they will always use the points which are due to expire first. Above and beyond that I would advise you get on the phone and explain the order in which you desire to consume them.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

2. 1000 rented legacy destination points for 2020, and
3. 4000 vacation club points for 2020 from enrolling a week.

for a reservation I want to book now for 2020.

This is important because I want to save 3000 of the points for 2021, so if they don't use number 2 before number 3, then I can't do that.

Also, if I can't use the banked points for the 2020 reservation, could I convert it to resort credit and use that for the 2020 reservation even though the banked points expire in 2019??
As noted, you can chose which points to use from those that are eligible. The default will probably use the 210 banked points first then the 1000 rented points then the 4000 bonus points. But as noted, you can double check and change it. The one thing you need to be careful about going forward is they use the expiration date in their algorithm. So if you have banked/borrowed points that expire later than points that could be banked but haven't been, they will chose those first. In a previous version you couldn't change this online but could call them and get them to correct it but now you can just change the order online from what they default to.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vacationforever has it right, do it online, you have complete control over what points you do or do not use.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

The banked 2018 points will expire on 12/31/2019, unless you are Presidential or Chairmans level. I don't think the 210 banked points are enough for a resort credit ($110 in resort credit is 325 points, and it must be redeemed in 325 point increments). Plus I believe the resort credit can only be used for incidentals at the resort, not a cash stay.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
The banked 2018 points will expire on 12/31/2019, unless you are Presidential or Chairmans level. I don't think the 210 banked points are enough for a resort credit ($110 in resort credit is 325 points, and it must be redeemed in 325 point increments). Plus I believe the resort credit can only be used for incidentals at the resort, not a cash stay.

Agreed. They would have to borrow some future points to get the required 325 for a resort credit, and it is for incidental expenses only. Not sure that I would want to use 115 points toward a $110 resort credit. Depending on the time of year/resort, 115 points can get you a 1 night stay in a 2BR unit.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip>The one thing you need to be careful about going forward is they use the expiration date in their algorithm. So if you have banked/borrowed points that expire later than points that could be banked but haven't been, they will chose those first.<snip>

THIS. I had to make a spreadsheet that had both current expiration and latest possible expiration. We bought hybrid and are Presidential so we have dates all over the board. Our DC points start with a 8.1.19 to 7.31.20 use year. If they get banked, they go to a 1.31.22 expiration. If you don't manipulate, MVC will view these points as expiring on 7.31.20. Points that have already been banked and have a HARD deadline after 7.31.20 but before 1.31.22 should be used before the ones from the previous sentence but would not be auto-selected by MVC because they appear to have a later expiry.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
THIS. I had to make a spreadsheet that had both current expiration and latest possible expiration. We bought hybrid and are Presidential so we have dates all over the board. Our DC points start with a 8.1.19 to 7.31.20 use year. If they get banked, they go to a 1.31.22 expiration. If you don't manipulate, MVC will view these points as expiring on 7.31.20. Points that have already been banked and have a HARD deadline after 7.31.20 but before 1.31.22 should be used before the ones from the previous sentence but would not be auto-selected by MVC because they appear to have a later expiry.
If you make a mistake and later realize it, they can rearrange the points to use the most compromised ones first as long as your outside the 60 day window. Heck, if you change or cancel something later, they will often volunteer to do so without even being asked.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I made a reservation and then decided to move the dates and it was around the time of Dorian so the phone lines were crazy. I just booked another reservation with borrowed points and used the online contact form to tell them to cancel the original reservation and fix the points mess I created. Done in 48 hours exactly how I would have wanted them done. They know what they're doing.