• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Explained like a 5 yr old

Islnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can somebody explain MVC in simple terms. I've been trying to decide buying resale between HRC and MVC. I believe I have HRC down. But I'm seriously confused about buying MVC resale, in terms of what would be the best way to go about it.
Fixed week?
Points? How do I estimate maint fees? How many points?
Does fixed week (depending on the season) translate to point like HRC?
So many point season variations....

Please explain like I'm five!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Have you read the stickies at the top of the Marriott Forum? I suggest starting there (as they are pretty straight-forward) and then bring specific questions. If you try the stickies (and don't get a clear general understanding of MVC), feel free to re-ask for the 5 year-old overview (since Fulghum's theory applies to me as well - Everything I needed to know I learned in Kindergarten).

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
First read all the FAQ sticky above they will give you a good background and answer your questions.

For the purpose of the post points mean MVC points, not Marriott/Bonvoy reward points.

There is a big difference in resale for weeks in terms of points.
You can not convert resale weeks to points. You can convert MVC purchased weeks into points.

Resale points after junk fees are treated the same as MVC purchased points.

Maintenance fees on weeks vary by location.
Points are $/point (actually $/Benefitial interest which is a bundle of 250 points but most people look at is a $/point).
There is a sticky which lists latest MF. Right now it list .58/point.
There is also an annual fee based on level for point owners or Weeks owners who have enrolled their weeks.

If you want points, Resale is cheaper and after junk fees they are just like regular points.

Number of points is dependent on where you want to go, when you want to go and for how long. The Points FAQ has some point charts for reference.
Fixed weeks are a good choice if you want a specific resort at a specific time and it offers it as fixed. Most weeks are floating season so while you are guaranteed that season, you are not guaranteed a specific week.

My advice on weeks is always the same. Never buy a week in order to trade because you never know what might happen in the future.
I still have great success with my trades but If I never trade again, I would be happy going to where I own.