• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big snorkel surprise today

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We're wrapping up a nice week in Maui today, and certainly ended the week on a high note. While snorkeling at Airport Beach today we saw turtles, eels, about 50 different types of fish (I counted, lol) but the best part was that about mid snorkel, we found ourselves about 30 feet from a huge pod of spinner dolphins. I heard them before I saw them. There were lots of small ones (babies, I assume) that seemed to swim with two larger ones. It was just an amazing experience, and one that I never thought I'd have in my life. Even without seeing dolphins, I'd snorkel every day if I could. I'm a bit tired of Hawaii because we've been probably 20+ times, but the snorkeling keeps drawing me back. Can't wait to return :D

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
That's amazing. Certainly an unexpected and unique experience.

What are your other favorite spots to snorkel on Maui?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's amazing. Certainly an unexpected and unique experience.

What are your other favorite spots to snorkel on Maui?
Honolua for sure (although we cheat and usually take a boat), then Ulua second. Honestly Airport Beach (Kahekili Park now) was great this time. Napili was a total bust today. I'm sure that there are other places that we haven't been to, but these are our regular spots. I am a wuss and like easy beach entries which eliminates other spots.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Btw, we've been to Honolua on Teralani twice now and they have a photographer on board to take underwater pictures of the customers and the wildlife. We've have some great memories form these trips. Highly recommend. We actually saw a barracuda this time, so it's been a remarkable week of snorkeling.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Wonderful experience. We encountered a pod in Kona Bay while jetskiing, the juveniles were very playful, jumping and spinning across our bow wake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Btw, we've been to Honolua on Teralani twice now and they have a photographer on board to take underwater pictures of the customers and the wildlife. We've have some great memories form these trips. Highly recommend. We actually saw a barracuda this time, so it's been a remarkable week of snorkeling.
Looking to buy Terralani Premier Adult Snorkel through Costco. Sounds like you had a good trip with them?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking to buy Terralani Premier Adult Snorkel through Costco. Sounds like you had a good trip with them?
Just off the plane. We've been very happy with them. They are walking distance from the Marriott too. And I love having the photographer on board.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Honolua for sure (although we cheat and usually take a boat), then Ulua second. Honestly Airport Beach (Kahekili Park now) was great this time. Napili was a total bust today. I'm sure that there are other places that we haven't been to, but these are our regular spots. I am a wuss and like easy beach entries which eliminates other spots.

Have you been to Honolua in the winter? Would it be rougher then? Do the boats still go?

Where is Ulua?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you been to Honolua in the winter? Would it be rougher then? Do the boats still go?

Where is Ulua?
I've been to Honolua in November - pretty surgy but ok visibility, May - great, September - great. In the dead of winter I'm not sure how it would be. Surfers go there for the break in the winter so it would seem that it may be churned up, but I have no first hand experience.

Ulua is in south Maui between the Marriott hotel and the Andaz. See the map on this page: http://mauiguidebook.com/beaches/ulua-beach/ Ulua is where we saw a huge manta ray (not this trip though - we didn't go south because of traffic, which sadly gets worse every year). Ulua is a great option if you are staying in south Maui. If we are staying in west Maui, we just go to Honolua or Airport (Kahekili) beach.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I've been to Honolua in November - pretty surgy but ok visibility, May - great, September - great. In the dead of winter I'm not sure how it would be. Surfers go there for the break in the winter so it would seem that it may be churned up, but I have no first hand experience.

Ulua is in south Maui between the Marriott hotel and the Andaz. See the map on this page: http://mauiguidebook.com/beaches/ulua-beach/ Ulua is where we saw a huge manta ray (not this trip though - we didn't go south because of traffic, which sadly gets worse every year). Ulua is a great option if you are staying in south Maui. If we are staying in west Maui, we just go to Honolua or Airport (Kahekili) beach.

That's kind of what I figured. January-March is when we tend to go to Hawaii, so it's harder to find good snorkel spots in winter. We went to Olowalu with Trilogy earlier this year, but it was so-so. After being spoiled by the snorkeling in Bora Bora and Moorea a few months ago, Hawaii snorkeling - particularly in winter - may never seem the same.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
That's kind of what I figured. January-March is when we tend to go to Hawaii, so it's harder to find good snorkel spots in winter. We went to Olowalu with Trilogy earlier this year, but it was so-so. After being spoiled by the snorkeling in Bora Bora and Moorea a few months ago, Hawaii snorkeling - particularly in winter - may never seem the same.

We go at the end of February- beginning of March. We find Honolua bay great for snorkeling early in the morning. We have always seen turtles while there. We also do a Captain Steve’s snorkel and whale watch over to Lanai with good experiences. The last several years we have ran into pods of spinners when we were whale watching. It would’ve been amazing to have been in the water snorkeling with them. There’s a bay over near Lanai that they hang around and are protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk