• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Measles vaccines for baby boomers

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were talking about measles vaccines, and I just wanted to note that I went to my doctor and needed bloodwork, so she ordered a titer for my measles immunity as part of the testing. That came back that I do NOT have measles immunity, so I needed a new vaccination.

I was born in 1962 and I did have measles immunity in the 1990s, the last time I had a blood titer. So please, if you're about my age or older, have your immunity checked. I got the shot (ouch!) a couple of weeks ago...and then visited Hershey, Pennsylvania...and then got home after a week to find out they're having a measles outbreak around Hershey and York!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am planning on getting the blood test for measles when I go in for my physical. Now it sounds like we might have to worry about mumps as well.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a booster for that in 1990!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember having measles,mumps, chicken pox

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I remember having measles,mumps, chicken pox
The only one I had was chicken pox. I "think" I got the MMR as an adult, but I may be thinking about my kids.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked with our RN about that.

If, like many of us, you were born before 1957 having the measles was simply part of life. It seemed they wanted you to get them. Yea, good times. If you've had measles as a child, your immune system will fight the infection, and you can't get measles again.

Very much like mumps. However, there are small percent of people who could get reinfected with mumps, but will have a milder form illness.

If you had the "good fortune" of having chickenpox as a child, you can't get it again. The virus may be dormant in your nerve cells. This can of course rear it's ugly head again as shingles. Doctors are simply not sure why that happens.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I don’t understand why you’re titer showed immunity once but not now. But Better safe than sorry.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had measles and mumps as a child and the MMR vaccine in my 30s. My mother made me hold hands with elementary classmates who had chicken pox and I lived with 2 adult family members who caught chicken pox, separately, and I never caught it.

I was vaccinated once, 2 shots, in my 30s and another, 2 shots, in my 40s. I still have no immunity against chicken pox. My son similarly has the same issues where the vaccines did not take. My 2 PCPs said that the vaccines were useless in my body and said to stay away from people with shingles and chicken pox. Maybe I have some yet-to-be discovered natural immunity against chicken pox.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand why you’re titer showed immunity once but not now. But Better safe than sorry.
Antibodies fade through time. I had Hep A and B vaccinations in my late 20s. 10 years after the shots, titers showed that I had immunity against both. 25 years later, titers showed that I still had immunity against Hep A but not Hep B. I was given the choice to redo all 3 Hep B shots or just take 1 Hep B shot as a booster. After my research, I opted for the 1 Hep B booster shot.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you had a booster for mumps didn't it also include measles? I thought the MMR was the standard.

In my case, I had recently needed a rubella vaccination. Then later they did the mumps vaccination. Measles titer was good at that time so I didn't need it. MMR is standard for kids now, but it wasn't when I was a kid, and you can still get the vaccinations separately.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am planning on getting the blood test for measles when I go in for my physical. Now it sounds like we might have to worry about mumps as well.

They can do titers for all vaccinations in one blood test. That's what I had in 1990, because all my records were lost.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
How is it at age 63 I have never come across the word titer before? I suppose I'll see it everywhere now!

You aren't alone and I am older than you. I have never heard the word before either. Maybe it's a regional term. I am assuming they are referring to the small glass vials that are drawn when doing blood tests? Please correct me if I am mistaken. The specific tests the Doctor has ordered will determine how many vials (titers?) of blood are drawn by the nurse.

As an early baby boomer I have natural immunity to measles, mumps, chicken pox and even rubella (what used to be called the "German" vs. "red" measles). I got the rubella in grade 12. While I was lying sick in bed, my mother mentioned it to our next door neighbour.

She (jokingly) said she would have to send her two older daughters (both around my age, and cute! :)) to sleep with me. When my mother related the conversation to me, even feeling as awful as I was, I was so disappointed when I realized their mother was just joking. :(:(

Of course, natural immunity was felt to be valuable for young women in those days before the vaccine. Without it, if they happened to later contract the rubella while pregnant, the results could be devastating for the fetus.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22

Thanks for that Richard. That may explain why clifffaith and I have never heard the term. It would appear that titers are irrelevant for both of us because we have full natural immunity. I know that fact is in my medical record, so the issue has never been raised by my doctor. The fact I had chicken pox did result in her giving me the shingles vaccine, in case the virus decides not to stay dormant.

My mother in the last few months before she died got shingles, as her immune system started to fail. It was not fun!!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Thanks for that Richard. That may explain why clifffaith and I have never heard the term. It would appear that titers are irrelevant for both of us because we have full natural immunity. I know that fact is in my medical record, so the issue has never been raised by my doctor. The fact I had chicken pox did result in her giving me the shingles vaccine, in case the virus decides not to stay dormant.

My mother in the last few months before she died got shingles, as her immune system started to fail. It was not fun!!
Hi CanuckTravlr,

Did you get the new Shingles Vaccine which is a sequence of 2 shots about a month apart? It's rated to be more effective than the older Shingles vaccine.

Richard

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi CanuckTravlr,

Did you get the new Shingles Vaccine which is a sequence of 2 shots about a month apart? It's rated to be more effective than the older Shingles vaccine.

Richard
I received the first shot, get the second one the end of September

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Hi CanuckTravlr,

Richard

I got the Zostavax single shot, because it was about 4 years ago, before Shingrix was available. Efficacy is good for 2 to 4 years on the Zostavax and then it drops off quickly, sometimes sooner, while the Shingrix efficacy seems to drop off much more slowly. I am scheduled to get the new vaccine at my next check-up.

The good news is that in Ontario right now, the Shingrix vaccine is being provided at no charge if you are 65 to 70 years old! I had to pay for the previous vaccine, and I think it was around $175 CAD at the time, but the vaccine cost was covered by my private health plan.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
You aren't alone and I am older than you. I have never heard the word before either. Maybe it's a regional term. I am assuming they are referring to the small glass vials that are drawn when doing blood tests? Please correct me if I am mistaken. The specific tests the Doctor has ordered will determine how many vials (titers?) of blood are drawn by the nurse.

As an early baby boomer I have natural immunity to measles, mumps, chicken pox and even rubella (what used to be called the "German" vs. "red" measles). I got the rubella in grade 12. While I was lying sick in bed, my mother mentioned it to our next door neighbour.

She (jokingly) said she would have to send her two older daughters (both around my age, and cute! :)) to sleep with me. When my mother related the conversation to me, even feeling as awful as I was, I was so disappointed when I realized their mother was just joking. :(:(

Of course, natural immunity was felt to be valuable for young women in those days before the vaccine. Without it, if they happened to later contract the rubella while pregnant, the results could be devastating for the fetus.

I had the 'red' measles before I started school but never got Rubella, the 'German' measles, when my younger sister and brother got them despite me sharing a room with my sister. When any kid on the street got Rubella my mom would send me over to play with them in hopes of me catching them. It never happened. Many years later, after I got married, I suffered a miscarriage. My Dr ordered thorough blood work and discovered that I was a carrier for Rubella which explained why I had never got it. I could only pass it on. She said I could have come in contact with the virus (a co-workers kids had it at the time) which might have caused the miscarriage. I had the vaccination and then after a few months was tested again to make sure I had the immunity. I delivered a healthy baby a year later!

~Diane