• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Inheritance rules & ownership benefits

jldryfly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll likely be inheriting 27k yearly points from my aunt. She wants me to be able to use her acct as my own until she passes. How is this best achieved? Can she just add me onto her acct as a co-owner? When I she does pass and i do inherit her ownership, will all ownership benefits that she has be passed onto me? Or will it be like I have acquired these points on the secondary market?
Thank you for any information you can pass along, or a LINK that can explain more fully.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I inherited an account from my Dad and all his Travelshare benefits transferred over (through Ovation) but I'm not sure if they would from an aunt. Prior to inheriting the account, my dad called and had me added as an authorized user for making reservations (I forget their official term for it). That was before guest certificates but I'm guessing you would need one now to actually use the reservation. It was a very simple process though. I'm not sure if she added you as an owner then later took her name off, if you would still be grandfathered in, but it would be nice if you were. Someone familiar with Wyndham should be able to confirm how that works.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I do not believe that Aunt to Niece inheritance counts as a "Family" Transfer so that all "Rights/Privileges" transfer intact and waiver of the $299 Fee. The best route may be that your Aunt pays the $299 Fee and have your name added to the Account now as an Owner. Being an authorized user would involve a GC for every Reservation in your name.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Under the circumstances I would pay the $299 to have yourself added. Then, when your aunt eventually passes away I would just send them a death certificate and have her removed (or not, it probably wouldn't matter unless you ever wanted to sell...). That should allow you to keep TS.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Under the circumstances I would pay the $299 to have yourself added. Then, when your aunt eventually passes away I would just send them a death certificate and have her removed (or not, it probably wouldn't matter unless you ever wanted to sell...). That should allow you to keep TS.
Is this a deeded property? Are property taxes paid separately or as part of the maintenance fees?

I ask because I am going through something right now to change the name of ownership on a co-owned timeshare. My parents and my husband and I own a timeshare together. The property is in California and we receive a separate tax bill. Both of my parents have passed so I decided I needed to get their names off of the timeshare and the tax bill. Not as simple as just having the names removed. It has to be re-recorded, which requires several different pieces of paper like death certificates, quit claim, change of property form.

Maybe club memberships are different?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a deeded property? Are property taxes paid separately or as part of the maintenance fees?

I ask because I am going through something right now to change the name of ownership on a co-owned timeshare. My parents and my husband and I own a timeshare together. The property is in California and we receive a separate tax bill. Both of my parents have passed so I decided I needed to get their names off of the timeshare and the tax bill. Not as simple as just having the names removed. It has to be re-recorded, which requires several different pieces of paper like death certificates, quit claim, change of property form.

Maybe club memberships are different?

Worldmark is not deeded property, just a club membership. Much simpler than deeded to change things, and my advise would definitely be different if a deed was involved.

I'm not 100% sure what I've suggested is the best plan, but that is what I would do in that situation.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Another vote for getting added as co-owner of the account.

jldryfly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I inherited an account from my Dad and all his Travelshare benefits transferred over (through Ovation) but I'm not sure if they would from an aunt. Prior to inheriting the account, my dad called and had me added as an authorized user for making reservations (I forget their official term for it). That was before guest certificates but I'm guessing you would need one now to actually use the reservation. It was a very simple process though. I'm not sure if she added you as an owner then later took her name off, if you would still be grandfathered in, but it would be nice if you were. Someone familiar with Wyndham should be able to confirm how that works.
Thank you for your input

jldryfly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark is not deeded property, just a club membership. Much simpler than deeded to change things, and my advise would definitely be different if a deed was involved.

I'm not 100% sure what I've suggested is the best plan, but that is what I would do in that situation.
Thank you for your input