• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Want $125? Equifax data breach settlement.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If there were 147 million people impacted and only $425 million in awards for people impacted and say only half bite and fill out the form. You are still only going to end up with about six bucks.
Cool. I can buy about 5 cans of StarKist tuna. Or 8 Kirkland Albacore.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the end, we selected My IDcare (www.myidcare.com)

I took a look at My IDcare and think you made a good choice. I get most of the same stuff with my Experian 3 bureau monitoring plan for roughly the same money except the dedicated help and $1 million support which I think are meaningful. Bottom line I think you have a better plan. I'm not going to switch because of the hassle but if I were starting from scratch, I'd probably go your way...

George

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What happens if you do not sign up for this settlement?? I hate given anyone my last six (6) digits of my social security numbers. A thief only need to run randomly the first three (3) numbers of social security numbers to steal your identity.

Just think how many hits, they are going to collect for their data base.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
What happens if you do not sign up for this settlement?? I hate given anyone my last six (6) digits of my social security numbers. A thief only need to run randomly the first three (3) numbers of social security numbers to steal your identity.

Just think how many hits, they are going to collect for their data base.

I hear you, Pedro but consider this: these days, with the increased amount of scrutiny one can apply to their credit curriculum vitae (their credit report and/or the factors that contribute to their credit report - thinking here about the tools many credit cards offer), the potential for damage is not what it used to be. In other words, IF a scoundrel were to obtain your personal information, there are more ways you (the consumer) can be made quickly aware of nefarious uses of your data.

This is not to say we can relax and solely depend on an annual check of one's credit report and the free tools provided by credit card issuers but used as part of a monitoring effort by the consumer, I think it is fair to say identity theft is getting harder to commit against consumers applying even just a bit of effort to monitor their credit resources.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
news today was reporting less than 30m actually going out as money to "victims"...looks like that 125 got its decimal point moved over a spot or two!

bet some lawyers on both sides made an absolute fortune though!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
One thing that is NOT exactly clear - is it per PERSON or per HOUSEHOLD?

The claim form reads by SSN, so when I filed my claim, I announced to my wife and houseguest, "Anyone else want $125?"

FWIW, you can get the $125 if you already have credit monitoring. We have it from previous data breaches, but if we don't get the $125, oh well.

I ran DW's SSN, and she was not impacted.

Unfair and sexist, probably, but our credit-worthiness appears to be kept by mine. Probably more of a "filing" situation than anything else.

I feel as iffy about credit monitoring as some of you appear to be about giving the last six of your SSN. I mean, what could be a better hack than a company that keeps all of everyone's financial information in one place, so if they do one get hack, they get it all!!!!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Once a liar . . . .

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Company should be paying out the $125 to everyone who applies. No matter the consequences.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
They should open a timeshare division.

:cool:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Guess that's what happens when you shout "Get your free $125 here!"

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
(CNN)Equifax data breach victims who filed for a $125 settlement check will have an opportunity to change their selection and opt for free credit monitoring instead. The move follows a torrent of consumer requests for cash payments from the embattled credit company.

The Federal Trade Commission said Thursday consumers who have already requested their checks — which are meant as subsidies for outside credit monitoring services — will soon be contacted by the third party administrator handling Equifax settlement claims. The administrator will provide consumers with the chance to switch benefits, the FTC said.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/tech/equifax-check-claim-change/index.html

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Guess that's what happens when you shout "Get your free $125 here!"
I also wonder how many of those that filed actually had a financial loss or damage because of the breach?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I also wonder how many of those that filed actually had a financial loss or damage because of the breach?
You didn't need to have a financial loss or damage to file for the $125. All that made you eligible was that your account was impacted. If you did have financial loss you could claim that, and in that case you would probably have to provide some kind of proof.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The $125 was intended to compensate for third-party credit monitoring.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Received this today:

Your Claim Number:
According to our records, you filed a claim for alternative compensation of up to $125 in connection with the Equifax data breach settlement and certified on the claim form that you had some form of credit monitoring or protection in place and will continue to have the credit monitoring in place for a minimum of six months from the date of your claim filing.
You must either verify or amend your claim by October 15, 2019.

If you do not, your claim for alternative compensation will be denied.
• To verify your claim for alternative compensation, you must provide the name of your credit monitoring service that you had in place when you filed your claim.
- OR -
• You can amend your claim to request free credit monitoring instead of alternative compensation.
The easiest way to verify or amend your claim is by visiting the official Settlement Website here.

The amount you receive in connection with your alternative compensation claim may be significantly reduced depending on how many valid claims are ultimately submitted by other class members for this relief. Based on the number of potentially valid claims that have been submitted to date, payments of these benefits likely will be substantially lowered and will be distributed on a proportional basis if the settlement becomes final. Depending on the number of valid claims that are filed, the amount you receive for alternative compensation may be a small percentage of your initial claim.

Please note that if you do not take action by October 15, 2019, your claim for alternative compensation will be denied.

You can also verify or amend your claim by sending us a letter stating either the name of the credit monitoring service you had in place when you filed your claim or that you wish to amend your claim to select credit monitoring instead. Please include your full name, claim number from the top of this email, and zip code to the address below:
In re Equifax Data Breach Settlement
c/o JND Legal Administration
PO Box 91318
Seattle, WA 98111-9418
Further information about your rights and options, including the right to exclude yourself from the settlement, is available at www.EquifaxBreachSettlement.com.

This email is from the Court-appointed settlement administrator, not Equifax. Please do not contact Equifax with questions. To contact the settlement administrator, click here.

eJwdzLsOgjAUgOGnkbFpS3uAoQMRTEx0ksGNnJ4eLpFqxJL4-F6mf_r-4JAVYpnNTktVyUoWv5pSKKELW9SqsS00YBXAzkh-bvOAb78y0vTilBaOfE-CHjGbnMl1AJLWM-m80t4EOTAZi2XwkAfKVreMfqMb6O9rjDgvf5lce7j2-1N9PPdde-k-iQcsvQ

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So now they are validating that you are actually entitled to the cash compensation. This should help those that really did pay for credit monitoring services for which the $125 was to reimburse. I suspect that there were a lot of people just looking for some free cash.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I switched to the 4 year coverage. But we have two claims, one for DH and one for me (using the same email). I don't know which each claim number applied to. So I put both our names in the box, and signed one each at the end. The monitoring I have now ends in a month or so. Since the payout likely will be way below $125, I figured the coverage will be more valuable in the long run.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I also received that email. Not sure which I will do if I do either of them. I don’t have time for all this stuff.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It took me all of two minutes to update my claim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received this today:

Your Claim Number:
According to our records, you filed a claim for alternative compensation of up to $125 in connection with the Equifax data breach settlement and certified on the claim form that you had some form of credit monitoring or protection in place and will continue to have the credit monitoring in place for a minimum of six months from the date of your claim filing.
You must either verify or amend your claim by October 15, 2019.

I just received this. It was easy to amend my claim by adding the name of the monitoring service (in my case Experian) I use. The notice did say that they reserved the right to ask for more information. My guess is that they will come back and ask for some kind of proof...

George