• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Count me as one that left NYC :)

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Living in New York City can be tough, and a new report says that every day, hundreds of New Yorkers are saying they’ve had enough.

According to 2018 Census data compiled by Bloomberg, New York City leads all metropolitan areas in the U.S. in net population loss, with 277 people leaving every day, more than twice the number of people who left in 2017. Los Angeles and Chicago were next with net daily losses of 201 and 161 residents, respectively.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/report-m...5hkUT_RV5vfqJNH01FU-0BmD5AWEmA0USbBnsBvEeHZ_E

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems most people are moving for tax reasons. Most of the cities with net increases are in states with no state income tax.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do they tabulate these numbers?
Likely they use data from moving companies. Back when I was in the business, the companies paid us to deadhead (pull an empty trailer after we unloaded) from places like Florida and the Carolinas where there was a net influx of people, to places like to New York/New Jersey where there is a net outflow. People moving out of those places outnumbered those moving in.

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks. I did not get one to fill out? Let me take a closer look. Want to make sure I am counted!
I don't know how big of a sample size they send out. I am sure their numbers have a margin of error. We got one a few years ago and it kind of looked like junk mail but I searched it and found it was legitimate and required by law to be completed.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Living in New York City can be tough, and a new report says that every day, hundreds of New Yorkers are saying they’ve had enough.
Does this mean we can start calling you an Idahoan now? Welcome!

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Likely they use data from moving companies. Back when I was in the business, the companies paid us to deadhead (pull an empty trailer after we unloaded) from places like Florida and the Carolinas where there was a net influx of people, to places like to New York/New Jersey where there is a net outflow. People moving out of those places outnumbered those moving in.

Jim
That makes more sense than the American Community Survey.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean we can start calling you an Idahoan now? Welcome!

Jim

I would say 75% baked Idahoan, 25% New England Calm Chowder. :)

Thinking about getting custom a license plate NYIDACON, CONYIDA, IDACON something like that. Although I don't believe in paying any state more revenue than they already take. So I think it will continue to be a dream of mine to get custom plates.

But yes my DL is from the great state of Idaho.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we have more affinity plates than anywhere- like 36 or more. Everything from all branches of service, to game- and non-game wildlife, and all the colleges, and snowmobilers, and home schoolers and who-knows-what-all, why not ex-New Yorkers? We're glad you're here.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thinking about getting custom a license plate NYIDACON, CONYIDA, IDACON something like that. Although I don't believe in paying any state more revenue than they already take. So I think it will continue to be a dream of mine to get custom plates.

I have always had custom plates, much more interesting than a string of meaningless letters and numbers.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you really move to Idaho?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It's ironic that residents are moving out and the tourists are moving in. We own a Hilton timeshare there. Love to visit. Always lots to do, Broadway shows, museums, great restaurants and shopping. Love the energy and pace and activity. Wouldn't want to live there though as I could see how that would get old.

Times Square which was seedy in the 80s and transformed into a tourist destination tells the story.

Last edited:

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think we have more affinity plates than anywhere- like 36 or more./QUOTE]

I registered my car Wed. AZ has more than 60 specialized plates. Some, like Farm Vehicle, Horseless Carriage, and Street Rod, are restricted to specific features.
I prefer standard plates for the anonymity and for a handy component of a password. Who's going to guess DWY6287?
P.S. I'm also a former NYC resident, left in 1970.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I registered my car Wed. AZ has more than 60 specialized plates. Some, like Farm Vehicle, Horseless Carriage, and Street Rod, are restricted to specific features.
I prefer standard plates for the anonymity and for a handy component of a password. Who's going to guess DWY6287?
Someone who sees you driving the car.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I am a proponent of being happy where you are. I will now not bash other parts of the country, but if you are not happy, find someplace else.

NYC is not my particular cup of meat, but currently, it's not a ghost town either :cool:

BTW, vacationed in western MA and ventured into upstate NY and I LOVED it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. 60. Yeah, we have restricted use specialized ones too. DW and I both have affinity plates. As it worked out we both have 4 character tags- hers, numerical, mine alphabetic. If you get the 'standard' plates in Idaho, they contain a county designation, and we prefer not to make it so obvious that we're from 'out of town'.

uaremymuse

Reaction score
Deblazio denied this fact the other night on Carlson’s program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our license plates say firefighter and are red and white in CO. I like that we can still get those. Very different from the regular green and white.

CO chose to get rid of a lot of the different ones. There are Broncos, Respect Life (with a Columbine in remembrance), Colorado Native, etc. Lots of them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Deblazio denied this fact the other night on Carlson’s program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, he sure did. He didn't really answer the questions Tucker asked, just kind of went around them. True politician.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Count me in too. Property tax went from $11000 per year to $1200 per year on the same size house and property in South Carolina! And no snow.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

How about ORE-IDA. Probably taken.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
BTW I think another tracking method is Driver's licenses. Giving up your old license makes getting a new one easier in most places so they know what state you left.