• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida residents, How do you cope this time of year?

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not mind being a snowbird - winters in Florida/Carolinas and spring/summer here up north. I don't think I could ever move from here and leave my kids/grandchildren behind permanently.

We help out with the grandchildren so buying something does not make sense for us. Definitely looking forward to spending a month or two down south in a few years.

Time like these, I am glad we don't have a condo somewhere down south. Everyone gets used to where they live. When my in-laws had their condo in Jupiter, there was always worry about who will look after it (her niece lives there so that helped) and hubby and I had to take care of the house here at home. One time we went to the house and the heat was not working........we went at least twice a week. Are there people that leave for the winter and have no one look at their house? or are up north for the summer and no one to check in on their winter home down south?

My friend's sister took off to Myrtle Beach last week to be there and check on her condo, yet they must have been evacuated. I will check in a few days with my friend to see how she made out.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
My elderly mother, who has dementia, lives 10 mins from me. I’ll be staying put while she’s here on earth.

I commuted downtown for work for 25 years. I think the train thing is what beat me down when it came to winter !

I love visiting Chicago but living there...I don't think so. That daily commute for you would be tough! I understand staying for your mother. Mine came to live with us seven years ago as there is no family in Ft Myers and she has outlived most of her friends. I don't know how I could have helped her much had she chosen to stay there. But she will be with us for a long as she possibly can be.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is exactly how I am now....I can not stand winter, I was never happy with it as child either, my parents forced me outside just so I would try to like it, nope that didn't work...I live in MI and the winters have been bad the past few years. I can not wait to move to FL in retirement...

That reminds me of what a Naturalist told us during a lecture on a cruise ship prior to docking in Iceland. He said that it is common to see infants in prams/baby carriages left outside the door of houses or shops during the winter to toughen them up. Of course they are tucked in and under the hood but that certainly stunned me!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes! The polar vortex last year practically did me in. I hope to move to a desert climate.

Don't think I could do a desert. I just think they are depressing and unattractive. I need lots of green around me.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...snip... Are there people that leave for the winter and have no one look at their house? or are up north for the summer and no one to check in on their winter home down south?...snip

My in-laws, who lived in Virginia, were "snow birds" spending each winter in Vero Beach (and moved there permanently late in life). The first year they just drained their pipes prior to leaving for the winter. They learned the hard way, about leaving some heat on, however. They turned it off and came back to some special pieces of crystal that had cracked in the dining room and some antique furniture pieces and hard wood floors with shrinkage. After that they kept low heat on and hired someone to check on the house occasionally with no more problems.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As you can see, we have power and internet this morning. The worst of it so far is that our banana tree, which has a huge stalk of banana on it for the first time in seven years, is over on the driveway. Hopefully we can stake it back up after the storm is over. If not, we will lay it over. As long as they continue to get sustenance from tree, they might still ripen.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Don't think I could do a desert. I just think they are depressing and unattractive. I need lots of green around me.
You can live in a "desert climate" without living in the desert. Los Angeles, CA used to be desert. Not that I'd want to live there any more after growing up in that area. People think of New Mexico as desert, yet we're at 7000 feet and get some snow. Our weather is quite pleasant, low humidity and lots of green.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
As you can see, we have power and internet this morning. The worst of it so far is that our banana tree, which has a huge stalk of banana on it for the first time in seven years, is over on the driveway. Hopefully we can stake it back up after the storm is over. If not, we will lay it over. As long as they continue to get sustenance from tree, they might still ripen.

Glad to hear you are safe

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I
You can live in a "desert climate" without living in the desert. Los Angeles, CA used to be desert. Not that I'd want to live there any more after growing up in that area. People think of New Mexico as desert, yet we're at 7000 feet and get some snow. Our weather is quite pleasant, low humidity and lots of green.

I do think of New Mexico as desert. I’ll have to explore it more. The “used to be desert” of various areas like LA require water that is often in short supply. Aren’t people encouraged now to plant indigenous landscapes? Incentives even? I’ve traveled LA down to San Diego and also over to Lancaster and Victorville.
Overall it’s just brown. Not for me.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I

I do think of New Mexico as desert. I’ll have to explore it more. The “used to be desert” of various areas like LA require water that is often in short supply. Aren’t people encouraged now to plant indigenous landscapes? Incentives even? I’ve traveled LA down to San Diego and also over to Lancaster and Victorville.
Just some of our mountains. There is a ski resort only about 30 minutes outside of town.

p601L.jpg

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
We moved from the Midwest to Florida in 2008 and are hopefully getting out soon

I’ve learned 3 things

1) Forever or death do you part is about 15-20 years

2) The banana is the forbidden fruit, ugh!!

3) Florida is hell

Brett

Reaction score

now it's NC and Va's turn for Hurricane Dorian

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
My in-laws, who lived in Virginia, were "snow birds" spending each winter in Vero Beach (and moved there permanently late in life). The first year they just drained their pipes prior to leaving for the winter. They learned the hard way, about leaving some heat on, however. They turned it off and came back to some special pieces of crystal that had cracked in the dining room and some antique furniture pieces and hard wood floors with shrinkage. After that they kept low heat on and hired someone to check on the house occasionally with no more problems.

Pretty much in any climate you should have a controlled environment

We were in the flooring business for many years and people always thought they could close up and leave

Homes are living breathing beasts
We don’t realize it but when you shower. Cook. Open doors etc that the house is taking all that in

I’ve even seen homes in Minnesota where people seal the windows with film and every nook and cranny sealed up and then wonder why it’s raining
( sweating ) in their homes and why they’re getting sick and like you said. Woods are falling apart

If people left for winter. They were to have some heat and more so some humidifier

I’ve seen the same with southern homes. Mold starts as they close up and have no air movement

They need to breath and be lived in

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know people that drain pipes and leave their northern homes. A friend said, I leave heat on, damage would be way more than the five hundred dollars worth of heat.

Mizzou39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Tuscany, HGVC Parc Soliel
We moved to FL 4 years ago from the midwest and would not move back. We miss friends and family but are quite pleased. Thoughts:
1) Hurricane season is a concern however 75 degrees in January and February are wonderful.
2) Houses in south Florida (we live in Palm Beach County) are essentially concrete bunkers with windows designed to withstand a Category 3 or 4 hurricane. We would go north for a category 5.
3) The education system is wonderful because Florida Bright Futures will allow our children to attend any public university in the state with zero tuition. Not many states have such a generous program without significant income limitations.
4) Outdoor opportunities year round
5) No state income tax!!! : )

So, it is the right choice for me. That is not to say it is the right choice for everyone but we must find what we like. Our purchase of HGVC timeshares was for the purpose of taking extended weekends at locations in FL.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I

I remember when we visited San Francisco. Everyone said- wait until you see the beautiful mountains as you drive in from the airport.

Well- those mountains were actually small, brown, ugly hills.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I remember when we visited San Francisco. Everyone said- wait until you see the beautiful mountains as you drive in from the airport.

Well- those mountains were actually small, brown, ugly hills.
I take exception to that. :p Yes the hills are brown during part of the year. But during other parts, when the state isn't suffering from drought, they are green.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I take exception to that. :p Yes the hills are brown during part of the year. But during other parts, when the state isn't suffering from drought, they are green.

We were there the beginning of October.

BTW- the photo you posted of the mountains in New Mexico is awesome! Who knew?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We were there the beginning of October.

BTW- the photo you posted of the mountains in New Mexico is awesome! Who knew?
Who knew? The people who live here. The people who visit here. ;) Ever heard of Taos Ski Valley? It's not far from Santa Fe.

region_header.jpg

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Taos skiing is on my list for next February. Already reserved a TS.
We have several friends from Minnesota who moved to Florida to take advantage of no income tax state. They all travel back to enjoy MN summer, relatives and lakes. We decided Colorado was calling and made a move year and half ago. Excellent skiing, winter weather one from MN can dream about and summer temps are not bad at all. No need for air conditioning in our elevation. Love it here.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Next month we will be living in Florida 32 years. We moved from Boston area to a city outside Orlando.
When we came here it was very rural, lots of orange groves and ranches. Took me and my kids a while to acclimate from our New England weather to Florida. We drove down at an unusually cold time of year. It was snowing when we left, and actually got colder the further south we went.
I told my son, he wouldn’t get any no school days because of weather, but 5 days after we arrived, Hurricane Floyd hit and because some of the roads were not paved, the school buses couldn’t drive on them because of the mud. So no school. During Hurricane Andrew, we were a designated shelter city, lots of folks relocated to our city and never went back. Population is tripled here in Winter..and as time goes on more snowbirds become permanent residents.
We had only visited Florida a few times before we moved here, so we were not familiar with a lot of the customs. We have come to love living here. DH just retired and a friend from Boston asked if we were going to move back now. Our kids live in Florida so we are staying, not just for them, but we enjoy living here.
We have had to go back to Boston in winter for funerals and when we do we wonder how we endured those cold nasty snow storms. I do not like the anxiety that comes with blizzards or hurricanes, but when the weather is nice here, it makes up for the bad things.
We like to visit Massachusetts in the summer and fall. Now that we are both retired we are planning lot of travel and trips to visit family too.
Stay safe everyone!
Silentg

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve lived and worked in Florida most of my life now, originally from New England.

Mainly we see hurricanes as an excuse to drink copious amounts of alcohol.

Newer construction areas have the utility infrastructure underground and the buildings are very safe. We had Irma’s eye pass right over my house and we didn’t lose power until AFTER the storm passed. Even then it was restored in hours.

Ain’t nothing to worry about. If a monster storm is on its way, you can always evacuate.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Yes! The polar vortex last year practically did me in. I hope to move to a desert climate.

Lots of timeshares in Las Vegas. When there take a drive up to Boulder City. It is less crowded and a little cooler than Las Vegas.