• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt vs Hilton

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Piñon Pointe (eoy odd)
Hilton on the Boulevard (eoy even)
Hilton on the Boulevard (annual)
Hyatt High Sierra Lodge (annual)
Aloha,

Live on Maui and thinking of my first timeshare purchase. I've done a lot of research and narrowed it down to Hyatt and Hilton. Family of 6 here, we travel 3-4 times a year. We like doing "staycations" on Maui and visiting other islands too. We also have at least 1 "big trip" a year. Being able to do a 2-3 night stay in Hawaii is key for us.

I was speaking with an agent who handles Hyatt resales and his thoughts were that the vast majority of reservations at Hyatt Maui will be for a week, leaving little to no room for a short stay. Can anyone chime in and tell me more? Do you think this is accurate? We typically travel during Fall Break (approx Oct 5-15), Spring Break (approx Mar 10-20), Summer Break (June and July) or Winter Break (Dec 20-Jan 5). Has anyone seen decent availability at Hyatt Maui for short stays?

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Ka'anapali, Hyatt Highlands, Riviera Beach & Spa
Did a search for Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach from now till end of June 2020 (all dates available for selection), and there were only 7 listings and none fall within your required days. Of course a search in this point in time is only availability now. There are people who are better at searching than I am, and they can probably share more detail on past availability. That said, the availability shown is all 2 or 3 night stays.

Hyatt Residence Club Maui, Ka'anapali Beach
440 POINTS
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 2 Night Stay
2 Bedrooms, 6 Guests

1320 POINTS
Sat, Nov 02, 2019 3 Night Stay
2 Bedrooms, 6 Guests

1320 POINTS
Sat, Nov 16, 2019 3 Night Stay
2 Bedrooms, 6 Guests

1320 POINTS
Sat, Nov 16, 2019 3 Night Stay
2 Bedrooms, 6 Guests

1320 POINTS
Sat, Dec 07, 2019 3 Night Stay
2 Bedrooms, 6 Guests

1320 POINTS
Sat, Dec 14, 2019 3 Night Stay
2 Bedrooms, 6 Guests

1770 POINTS
Sat, Dec 07, 2019 3 Night Stay
2 Bedrooms, 6 Guests

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hilton sells deeds with fixed point values and is very flexible for short stays.

Hilton has a large presence on the Big Island at Waikoloa with several resorts. A 7000+ point unit should get you about 2 weekends or 3 midweeks in a 2 bdrm and availability is good if you plan at least 7 months ahead. Search the HGVC forum stickies for the points charts for Kingsland, Kohala Suites, Bay Club and Ocean Tower on the HGV forum to calculate. Buy resale for best value. Bay Club units are large and can be picked up for less than $3000 but you have to pay for access to the pools and amenities at the Waikaloa resort. The other 3 HGV resorts have access included.

Hilton is building a resort on Maui in Kihei which is expected to open in 2021. However that will likely cost a lot more points-wise (they haven't published the chart yet). Look at the points values for a resort like Grand Islander or Grand Waikikian in Waikiki to get an idea of how many points you will need or perhaps consider augmenting HGV BI with a Hyatt deed for Maui.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
One option HGV has is Open Season meaning you can book a last minute stay with cash if you don’t have the points.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I own Hilton and like it, they lack certain areas, Maui being one of them. Their "upcoming" Maui resort isn't in a area I'd like to be at (I like Ka'anapali beach area, myself). Hyatt and/or Marriott would be a nice compliment, personally. Both have Maui and access to Interval via Key West, plus Hyatt has 3 resorts in Key West.

It all depends on where you're wanting to stay, IMO. I had a co-worker who had Hyatt and got rid of it for a Marriott as the MF were higher (supposedly) vs. the Marriott one.

I picked up a free (from fellow Tugger) BlueGreen to trade into II for my Caribbean access, and Key West, etc. Although obviously for II stuff like that you have to be VERY flexible and put your stuff in 2 years in advance as you're competing against the Marriott owners, etc. (if you want a Marriott that is)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Look in to Kama'aina rates at all the resort brands, I’ve been at HGVC on the big island and met locals doing short stay for cash rates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Hyatt Maui is a very expensive purchase, even resale. It may only make sense to buy a fixed week at Hyatt Maui if you know you will be using that exact full week every year.

An alternative is to buy a Hyatt week at a different location, which is much cheaper, both to buy and in maintenance fees. Then use points to reserve Hyatt Maui. But availability is low.

You could also look at Vistana timeshares on Maui. Buy a floating week with a deeded ocean view to use, or buy a "mandatory" Vistana deed in another location to use points to book Maui, but then again, availability is low.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Hyatt probably won't be a good fit in this situation. I think the Hilton system in principle is probably a better fit for short stays, but options on Maui are not great and you need to book 3 nights min.

As mentioned by others I think either Marriott or Vistana would be more suitable (although Vistana won't be available with the event weeks 51-52 on Maui). This is almost the ideal use case for Marriott DC points or Vistana Westin Flex both will be relatively expensive (although cheaper than Hyatt resale) and give the flexibility and provide decent availability for the types of bookings the OP is wanting.