• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott SwapsTinyToiletries For More Sustainable Options

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of their estimated 1 billion plastic straws provided automatically at Marriott resorts were unused, just disposed of and not biodegradeable.
A sensible first step was not to provide them unless specifically asked for.
The next step is to offer more environmentally friendly alternatives, of which there are a number - bamboo, straw, paper, wheat, silicone, glass, steel...
https://news.marriott.com/2018/07/m...remove-plastic-straws-worldwide-by-july-2019/

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Many of their estimated 1 billion plastic straws provided automatically at Marriott resorts were unused, just disposed of and not biodegradeable.
A sensible first step was not to provide them unless specifically asked for.
The next step is to offer more environmentally friendly alternatives, of which there are a number - bamboo, straw, paper, wheat, silicone, glass, steel...
https://news.marriott.com/2018/07/m...remove-plastic-straws-worldwide-by-july-2019/
Again, really just another cost saving measure being sold as a way to save the environment. If their straws were not being used, why were they buying so many?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, really just another cost saving measure being sold as a way to save the environment. If their straws were not being used, why were they buying so many?
Probably because it was always “the done thing” to provide plastic straws with many drinks.
I think the only time I have ever used straws is with something like a thick milk shake that there was no other obvious way to drink it, yet I must have received hundreds or thousands over the years unrequested.
I can’t comment on Marriott’s motives for removing them, but doing so will benefit the environment even if that is not the real driver behind their decision.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Portland City Center still had the tiny bottles as of Sunday. Personally, I'm glad they're getting rid of the tiny bottles. We rarely use them (other than DH, who uses the shampoo) and I wonder if they need to throw them all away after we check out, even if we haven't used them. We had 5 minis in our room: hand soap, body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. The bottles were so tiny you could only get 1 or 2 uses from them.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Marriott Portland City Center still had the tiny bottles as of Sunday. Personally, I'm glad they're getting rid of the tiny bottles. We rarely use them (other than DH, who uses the shampoo) and I wonder if they need to throw them all away after we check out, even if we haven't used them. We had 5 minis in our room: hand soap, body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. The bottles were so tiny you could only get 1 or 2 uses from them.

The switch over is not expected to be complete until December 2020. So, if everyone starts reporting on properties that still have the small bottles, this thread is going to get quite long!

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
So because you don't like them, it means no one should be able to use them? How do you drink straight from a glass at a park or sporting event? I have had to do it and it is a PITA.

The same way I drink from a glass in a park, sporting event, pub, home, wherever....it really isn't difficult.

When served water in a restaurant in Europe you don't receive a straw you're simply expected to drink it from the glass yet if you're given a soft drink then it comes with a straw, why? It's no different drinking a soft drink from a glass in the same way as water. Plastic straws are an horrendous waste and cause of much pollution, there's no need for them.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Let me throw out something: Marriott Intl made the announcement. Our timeshares are under Marriott Vacation Club. Are we sure that when Marriott Intl. (the hotels?) snaps its fingers or makes an announcement that it automatically applies to Marriott Vacation Club (VAC) ?

At this point I think that there are two separate companies. The hotel group made the announcement. Does anyone know if the timeshare company is going to follow suit?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
And of course the worst from an SPG/Starwood perspective is when the swap from Coke products to Pepsi products occurred. Those of you with the legacy Marriott properties were already used to this.

I'll take a Jack & Pepsi....no one has ever said. ;)

I'm sure there are some who prefer Coke products. I, on the other hand, am definitely in the Pepsi camp. "Tastes Great. Less Filling." Oh, the memories.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
“It’s a huge priority for us,” he continued. “Our guests are looking to us to make changes that will create a meaningful difference for the environment while not sacrificing the quality service and experience they expect from our hotels.”

Who are they kidding, this has little to do about sustainability. Same with hanging your towels if you plan to reuse them cards. It is all about saving money for their bottom line. They don't mention that in the article. Call me cynical, but it is a money saving move with the cover of PR.

Wait. This isn't just responsible corporate citizenship or good environmental stewardship? Aren't they donating the money saved from these efforts to offset their carbon footprint by planting trees in underprivileged forests? :rolleyes:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because they not providing the real reason, if they cared about then environment then there's plenty more they can do across the organisation.

We stayed at the Townplace Suites at Miami airport last year. When we came down for breakfast we were appalled at the waste. Paper plates, plsatic utensils, plastic cups, plastic everything, nothing was recycled, it all went into the same bin, food waste and all (as it was the food was so appallingly bad we gave up and never returned). My wife tweeted Marriott in response to their claim about their care for the environment but unsurprisingly didn't receive a response.

As for plastic straws, good riddance. I haven't drunk with a straw since I was a child, what's wrong with drinking straight from the glass? Does anyone drink wine, beer, tea or coffee through a straw?

While none of those are my beverage of choice (but I enjoy a tall glass of very cold milk with the occasional Oreo), I would miss straws for frozen drinks.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me throw out something: Marriott Intl made the announcement. Our timeshares are under Marriott Vacation Club. Are we sure that when Marriott Intl. (the hotels?) snaps its fingers or makes an announcement that it automatically applies to Marriott Vacation Club (VAC) ?

At this point I think that there are two separate companies. The hotel group made the announcement. Does anyone know if the timeshare company is going to follow suit?
They are of course separate companies and yes it was the Marriott International hotel group which made the announcement which will not automatically apply to MVC.
They do still work together closely though and have many common ideas and policies.
MVC will introduce something similar in Asia and may well in other regions too.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Springhill Suites in PCB over the weekend and they had very nice refillable bottles in the shower, much better quality than any I've seen with MVC other than HI. This option should be cheaper AND better for the environment and will hopefully give us better quality products overall.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I'm sure there are some who prefer Coke products. I, on the other hand, am definitely in the Pepsi camp. "Tastes Great. Less Filling." Oh, the memories.

Us too, we are a Pepsi household. BTW I think the "Tastes Great - Less Filling" was Miller Lite IIRC.:rolleyes:

I'm ok with the small plastic bottles going away and straws only on request. I take my own shampoo and conditioner. I have a lot of hair and those little bottles just don't cut it. I also have stainless and silicone straws. People make fun of me regarding the straws. I figure every little bit helps and ya gotta start somewhere with changing habits when it comes to plastic usage.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I certainly don't have a problem with a company making a change like this that allows them to still provide the toiletries, but at a lower cost that has a positive impact on the bottom line. I would certainly want any company that I owned stock in to look for ways like this to positively impact shareholder value. But the important thing is they can do this, save money, and have a positive environmental impact at the same time. Plastics are a HUGE and increasing environmental issue, so if trying to save money leads to positive environmental impact, I'm all for it. There are many other things companies are forced to do, or sometimes choose to do, to help the environment that actually COST them money. So, when there is something like this that positively impacts shareholders AND helps the environment, I call that a big win-win.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm in favor of changes that favorably impact the environment which, eliminating the tiny-size containers will do. But I don't know how much of a cost savings they'll see because as soon as this trend started we began seeing stuff on travel sites about people filling carry-on-size empty containers with the products in these things.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm in favor of changes that favorably impact the environment which, eliminating the tiny-size containers will do. But I don't know how much of a cost savings they'll see because as soon as this trend started we began seeing stuff on travel sites about people filling carry-on-size empty containers with the products in these things.

Caught them trying to make a clean getaway? :D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Nothing, but most people prefer the little bottles, so it is saving money by lowering the product quality of your stay.
You'd need to take a poll to see if "most" people prefer the little bottles.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
You'd need to take a poll to see if "most" people prefer the little bottles.

Agree. But I really don't care that much either way. Whether they use the small bottles or the larger, in-place dispensers, that's maybe near the bottom of the list in my priorities for a hotel or timeshare that impact my stay.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree. But I really don't care that much either way. Whether they use the small bottles or the larger, in-place dispensers, that's maybe near the bottom of the list in my priorities for a hotel or timeshare that impact my stay.
To me the quality of the product and hygiene issues are more important than the size.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
To me the quality of the product and hygiene issues are more important than the size.
We bring our own so I don't care what the hotel/resort provides. The only time I'll use the "little" bottles, or product provided, is for a quick overnight when I don't want to unpack everything.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If you love the little bottles, keep the old ones in your suitcase and fill them with the product in the pump bottles.

I started using L'occitane products after staying at Four Seasons Aviara. Love those products. I take some of my own product in those little bottles I bought at Amazon, but they still leak a little, even though the bottles had good reviews.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I suspect that the additional cost-per-ounce of the small plastic containers vs. the lower cost per ounce of the larger containers probably outweighs any realistic estimate of product pilferage. Someone has to be pretty desperate/cheap to go to that extreme. Some will, but I can't imagine the numbers are that big.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The same way I drink from a glass in a park, sporting event, pub, home, wherever....it really isn't difficult.

When served water in a restaurant in Europe you don't receive a straw you're simply expected to drink it from the glass yet if you're given a soft drink then it comes with a straw, why? It's no different drinking a soft drink from a glass in the same way as water. Plastic straws are an horrendous waste and cause of much pollution, there's no need for them.
Dh always requests a straw, both for water and for iced tea. The reason? The ice. Drinking a glass of something with ice in it usually results in him getting splashed or ice ending up on his shirt. I use a straw at home, I have one of those cups with a lid that the straw fits in. I am still working my way through the massive amount of plastic straws be bought from Costco years ago, and when those are gone I'll switch to some type of re-usable straw.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bring our own so I don't care what the hotel/resort provides. The only time I'll use the "little" bottles, or product provided, is for a quick overnight when I don't want to unpack everything.
So it doesn't matter to you either way or even if they remove them completely?