• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bonvoy lifetime/ credit cards

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually I received a new card a couple of days ago that has the "touch" feature (which I had never heard of before).

You can have this card just get near the terminal to complete the transaction (with those retailers who have this new type of terminal). You won't need to insert or swipe the card. What is wrong with swiping or inserting?

I am not sold on this feature at this point. The card itself is no longer "hefty in weight". In fact the hefty weight cards can not be cut up with scissors and you need to send them back to be destroyed.

So in essence, I am giving up a solid, hefty weight card for one that appears to be very flimsy. Matter of fact, the new card I received can be cut up with scissors.

Seems like progress is backwards.....

It seems like you are describing a contactless payment card, which we have had in the UK for years now?
I guess this must be something totally different to the Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium card, which is not a payment card?
Do your Marriott credit cards in the US also have your Bonvoy elite status?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like you are describing a contactless payment card, which we have had in the UK for years now?
I guess this must be something totally different to the Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium card, which is not a payment card?

Yes, this new card still has the Bonvoy Elite Status (if it didn't I wouldn't accept it).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, this new card still has the Bonvoy Elite Status (if it didn't I wouldn't accept it).

You are referring to the Marriott credit card from Chase, others are talking about their membership card from Marriott.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
You are referring to the Marriott credit card from Chase, others are talking about their membership card from Marriott.

This entire thread is one of the most confusing threads on TUG. Half of the responses pertain to the Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite membership card while the other half are discussing various Chase or Amex Bonvoy credit cards.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we are talking about two different cards. Mine is the rewards for frequent stays card. Not a credit card. I got it a couple weeks ago and my last name starts with B if they're rolling them out alphabetically. I wish you could feel the difference in heft of these two photographed here. And I'm not crazy about the Bonvoy name either. It means nothing to me; a silly rendition of Bon Voyage.
marriott lifetime cards.jpg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I think we are talking about two different cards. Mine is the rewards for frequent stays card. Not a credit card. I got it a couple weeks ago and my last name starts with B if they're rolling them out alphabetically. I wish you could feel the difference in heft of these two photographed here. And I'm not crazy about the Bonvoy name either. It means nothing to me; a silly rendition of Bon Voyage. View attachment 13783

Don got his Bonvoy status card a few weeks ago. It's the same as the bottom card in Diane's pic and she's right that it's a heavy card!

We both use the same Chase Marriott VISA account. Yesterday we got our new Chase Marriott "Bonvoy Boundless" VISA cards that replace our old Premier Plus (heavier) credit cards. (This new one is the 6X Marriott spend/2X all other/no Elite Nights for spend.) Don's PP old card had his Marriott Rewards/Bonvoy number on it but the new one doesn't.

As the secondary user mine have never had a MR/Bonvoy account number on them. I know TUG-talk is that with him attaining Lifetime Titanium we should now be building a Chase account with me as primary, but wouldn't that mean we wouldn't be able to take advantage of his status perks?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Don got his Bonvoy status card a few weeks ago. It's the same as the bottom card in Diane's pic and she's right that it's a heavy card!

We both use the same Chase Marriott VISA account. Yesterday we got our new Chase Marriott "Bonvoy Boundless" VISA cards that replace our old Premier Plus (heavier) credit cards. (This new one is the 6X Marriott spend/2X all other/no Elite Nights for spend.) Don's PP old card had his Marriott Rewards/Bonvoy number on it but the new one doesn't.

As the secondary user mine have never had a MR/Bonvoy account number on them. I know TUG-talk is that with him attaining Lifetime Titanium we should now be building a Chase account with me as primary, but wouldn't that mean we wouldn't be able to take advantage of his status perks?
Couldn't you get Titanium level because of your DC ownership tier? You would get the benefits and build lifetime nights and points in your name.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Now I'm confused. Neither our old Chase Marriott VISA Premier Plus or new Bonvoy Boundless cards indicated the MR/Bonvoy status on them, only Don's member number was on his card with nothing on mine.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Now I'm confused. Neither our old Chase Marriott VISA Premier Plus or new Bonvoy Boundless cards indicated the MR/Bonvoy status on them, only Don's member number was on his card with nothing on mine.
The Chase credit cards have never shown your member status. If it did, they would possibly have to send out a new credit card every year.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Couldn't you get Titanium level because of your DC ownership tier? You would get the benefits and build lifetime nights and points in your name.

(Benefits At A Glance)

I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much this stuff confuses me, but, yes? If I opened a new Chase account (the one that gives one Elite Night/$3K spend) with me as primary and Don as secondary? I'm thinking, though, that our circumstances have changed with Don retiring next year and our spends slowing waaaay down, especially the spends he got with all his India travel, that a new account with me as primary would probably never reach Lifetime.

Trying to explain all this to Don and he just told me that we have no worries because he'll outlive me. Smartass. But if he doesn't, wouldn't I still have Titanium status from the timeshares, plus the Bonvoy Points accumulated in his account would transfer to me?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
(Benefits At A Glance)

I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much this stuff confuses me, but, yes? If I opened a new Chase account (the one that gives one Elite Night/$3K spend) with me as primary and Don as secondary? I'm thinking, though, that our circumstances have changed with Don retiring next year and our spends slowing waaaay down, especially the spends he got with all his India travel, that a new account with me as primary would probably never reach Lifetime.

Trying to explain all this to Don and he just told me that we have no worries because he'll outlive me. Smartass. But if he doesn't, wouldn't I still have Titanium status from the timeshares?
As long as you have Presidential level, you would get Titanium MB status as long as MVC continues to offer the benefit or if you unload some of your ownership.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Chase credit cards have never shown your member status. If it did, they would possibly have to send out a new credit card every year.

My head hurts. I think I misunderstood your response to TimeTraveler? He said his card has his Bonvoy status, and you said he was referring to his credit card?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My head hurts. I think I misunderstood your response to TimeTraveler? He said his card has his Bonvoy status, and you said he was referring to his credit card?
I think people are confusing the two cards. I don't even understand why Marriot sends out cards anymore, does anyone even cary them? They want to save money? Stop sending cards and let me keep the little bottles of shampoo.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As long as you have Presidential level, you would get Titanium MB status as long as MVC continues to offer the benefit or if you unload some of your ownership.

Sorry, I edited while you were typing. It is true that if he goes first (which he may if he doesn't find something to do with his time when he retires and I'm driven to it ;)) his accumulated Bonvoy Points will transfer to me, right?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
(Benefits At A Glance)

Trying to explain all this to Don and he just told me that we have no worries because he'll outlive me. Smartass. But if he doesn't, wouldn't I still have Titanium status from the timeshares, plus the Bonvoy Points accumulated in his account would transfer to me?
Are all you timeshares in Don’s name or joint names or...?
Ours are in joint names, so when I reached Lifetime Titanium we switched the MR/Bonvoy account associated with our MVC ownership to Sue’s so that she would immediately receive Titanium status.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

The card itself doesn't indicate the status, however the paperwork which accompanied it said it was to replace my existing card. It does have "Bonvoy Boundless" on it.

The paperwork also says this is "Your New Contactless Card". I am not sending the old one back until I am sure this new card works properly.

These new cards are definitely lighter than the one it replaced.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The card itself doesn't indicate the status, however the paperwork which accompanied it said it was to replace my existing card. It does have "Bonvoy Boundless" on it.

The paperwork also says this is "Your New Contactless Card". I am not sending the old one back until I am sure this new card works properly.

Boundless is just the marketing name of the Chase Marriott Bonvoy credit card. My wife also received a new credit card from Chase and I agree, it is a cheap plastic card where the one it replaced was very heavy. They sent an envelope to return the old cards because there was no way you could cut them with scissors. The new card can easily be cut with scissors. I could have cut it with my tin snips, but I just put them in the envelope and sent it back to Chase.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think people are confusing the two cards. I don't even understand why Marriot sends out cards anymore, does anyone even cary them? They want to save money? Stop sending cards and let me keep the little bottles of shampoo.

The card I am discussing is the Credit Card; not the membership card.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are all you timeshares in Don’s name or joint names or...?
Ours are in joint names, so when I reached Lifetime Titanium we switched the MR/Bonvoy account associated with our MVC ownership to Sue’s so that she would immediately receive Titanium status.

All titled the same in both our names, yes. I just checked our two different owners.marriottvacationclub.com accounts, the original in his name and the one that was established in my name back when our Weeks were enrolled in the DC. Both accounts have his Bonvoy membership number in them. I know I have one, got it when we bought the timeshares, but can't get my hands on it this minute. In the meantime, other than if we switch to a new Chase Marriott VISA with me as primary to accumulate Elite Nights and work toward a probably-not-achievable Lifetime in my name, is there a need for us to do that? Or if he should go before me, will my plan to keep Titanium from the timeshares and inherit his accumulated Bonvoy Points work?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Okay, makes sense now, we got the exact same mailing. Sorry for the confusion. :)

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
All titled the same in both our names, yes. I just checked our two different owners.marriottvacationclub.com accounts, the original in his name and the one that was established in my name back when our Weeks were enrolled in the DC. Both accounts have his Bonvoy membership number in them. I know I have one, got it when we bought the timeshares, but can't get my hands on it this minute. In the meantime, other than if we switch to a new Chase Marriott VISA with me as primary to accumulate Elite Nights and work toward a probably-not-achievable Lifetime in my name, is there a need for us to do that? Or if he should go before me, will my plan to keep Titanium from the timeshares and inherit his accumulated Bonvoy Points work?
I believe your plan should work just fine.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe your plan should work just fine.
But it won't hurt to switch over the MB number associated with ownership to Sue's account from Don's. I believe MVC should be sending out that email in the next few months. THough I don't remember receiving it last year.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But it won't hurt to switch over the MB number associated with ownership to Sue's account from Don's. I believe MVC should be sending out that email in the next few months. THough I don't remember receiving it last year.

Now I have no idea what email you're talking about but I'll be on the lookout for something. :)

It occurs to me that if hurricanes keep on battering HHI at the rate they've been happening these last few years, the Special Assessments for our timeshares might just get a new VISA account to Lifetime faster than anything else has! If we take a hit with Dorian I'll be revisiting the idea of a new one.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I have no idea what email you're talking about but I'll be on the lookout for something. :)

It occurs to me that if hurricanes keep on battering HHI at the rate they've been happening these last few years, the Special Assessments for our timeshares might just get a new VISA account to Lifetime faster than anything else has! If we take a hit with Dorian I'll be revisiting the idea of a new one.
As I recall, the once per year opportunity to change the Marriott Bonvoy account linked with your MVC ownership is early in the New Year.
I didn’t wait for an email though, I just asked Owner Services to help make the change

IF THERE ARE MULTIPLE OWNERS OR MEMBERS ON AN ACCOUNT, WHO WILL RECEIVE THE MARRIOTT REWARDS STATUS UPGRADE?

The primary Owner or Member listed on the account will receive the account upgrade. This can be reassigned during the annual account review process.
https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/owners/ilg-acquisition/