• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Laser printer? What to buy?

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Well, I've been putting this off for too long. I NEED a printer! The InkJets dry up before I can use them twice.
Then I heard that when it's time to replace the laser cartridge, they cost as much as a new laser printer. And, then I saw an Epson with little bottles of ink - are those inkjet? perhaps.

Any experiences anyone wants to share? Thank you!

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Read reviews and determine what your needs are. I bought a Brother color MFC 3750. Great printer, color on a laser is not as good as an inkjet so be prepared for that. I chose Brother because we had them at work and you couldn't kill them even with extreme use in a bad climate.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I faced a similar dilemma not all that long ago. My last laser printer was in need of a new toner cartridge and when I checked out the price for the toner cartridge I also saw I could purchase a new laser printer (which came with a full cartridge) for a bit LESS than the price of the toner cartridge I had.

Needless to say, I purchased a Brother HL-2140 printer.

But that is putting the cart before the horse (so to speak) - what do you need to print on a regular basis, @Snazzylass ?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use a monochrome (black only) Brother 2270 printer. It may go weeks-to months without printing anything and nothing dries up and it's ready to go. It's wireles (on the home wi-fi) so it works across devices. My wife uses a color ink-jet at her office because she is an artist and needs the color, whereas I get along fine for what I need- usually text or travel documents don't NEED to be in color.

I use cheap 'will fit' off brand toner cartridges from Amazon and they work just fine.

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Read reviews and determine what your needs are. I bought a Brother color MFC 3750. Great printer, color on a laser is not as good as an inkjet so be prepared for that. I chose Brother because we had them at work and you couldn't kill them even with extreme use in a bad climate.

While I like this comment overall, I think y'all find just the opposite because laser color doesn't smear. BUT this depends on the quality of both printers too.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I faced a similar dilemma not all that long ago. My last laser printer was in need of a new toner cartridge and when I checked out the price for the toner cartridge I also saw I could purchase a new laser printer (which came with a full cartridge) for a bit LESS than the price of the toner cartridge I had.

Needless to say, I purchased a Brother HL-2140 printer.

But that is putting the cart before the horse (so to speak) - what do you need to print on a regular basis, @Snazzylass ?
Good point! Thus, the delay. It would mostly be convenient to own a printer.
In theory, I could put whatever I wanted to print on a thumb drive and head to the library or Staples (or such). I guess I'm looking at $300 for a laser printer (still need to check and, I will! THANK YOU FOR THE MODELS SUGGESTED SO FAR). So, there's really no way to cost justify the purchase.

I could probably forgo Color. In addition to printing a few shipping labels and standard docs, I want to print out a sewing pattern. Apparently it is important to confirm the scale is exact before printing :)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good point! Thus, the delay. It would mostly be convenient to own a printer.
In theory, I could put whatever I wanted to print on a thumb drive and head to the library or Staples (or such). I guess I'm looking at $300 for a laser printer (still need to check and, I will! THANK YOU FOR THE MODELS SUGGESTED SO FAR). So, there's really no way to cost justify the purchase.

I could probably forgo Color. In addition to printing a few shipping labels and standard docs, I want to print out a sewing pattern. Apparently it is important to confirm the scale is exact before printing :)

With this info in hand, I can safely tell you that you should be able to get a laser printer for much less than $300 - in fact, less than $100 depending on the sales and stores in your area.
Best Buy is always a good place to start BUT office supply stores often sell printers too (Staples, Office Depot, etc) and don't forget the Sam's and Costco possibilities (I know Dave would want me to remind you of that one! :cool:). So many retail outlets sell printers these days it becomes very easy to comparison shop.

You mention printing out sewing patterns - that will be as much a function of the software used to generate / print the pattern as much as the quality of the printer. Both aspects of that equation are important.

You mention shipping labels - so you want to check out the feed mechanism that allows you to feed individual sheets. Does it pull label sheets though with ease (label sheets are heavier and require more tug (ha!) on the sheet to move evenly through the print area.

Most vendors have a return period of somewhere between 14-30 days (do verify this before purchase) and when you do finally choose a printer, print a few examples of your sewing patterns and address labels to determine if you think the printer you choose can handle your needs.

Best of luck with this!

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
With this info in hand, I can safely tell you that you should be able to get a laser printer for much less than $300 - in fact, less than $100 depending on the sales and stores in your area.
Best Buy is always a good place to start BUT office supply stores often sell printers too (Staples, Office Depot, etc) and don't forget the Sam's and Costco possibilities (I know Dave would want me to remind you of that one! :cool:). So many retail outlets sell printers these days it becomes very easy to comparison shop.

You mention printing out sewing patterns - that will be as much a function of the software used to generate / print the pattern as much as the quality of the printer. Both aspects of that equation are important.

You mention shipping labels - so you want to check out the feed mechanism that allows you to feed individual sheets. Does it pull label sheets though with ease (label sheets are heavier and require more tug (ha!) on the sheet to move evenly through the print area.

Most vendors have a return period of somewhere between 14-30 days (do verify this before purchase) and when you do finally choose a printer, print a few examples of your sewing patterns and address labels to determine if you think the printer you choose can handle your needs.

Best of luck with this!
Ah, yes, and Thank you! B&W is much less. I think my $300 budget was before I talked myself out of Color :)

The sewing patterns use Adobe. So, yes, as I understand it, it's a matter of tweaking the settings. Thanks, again, all for the encouragement to get out the crowbar and open my pocketbook :)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh - one last thing. Like everything else, new printer models come out all the time. Don't feel like you have to choose a specific model because of a review. I'd look more at the brand.
For a long time, HP set the standard in laser printers - and they charged dearly for it. Competition has been a wonderful development to the printer market.

If you think HP (or Brother or Cannon or ....) is the best solution for you, look at the current models and find the lower priced printers. Model numbers change frequently.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.... And, then I saw an Epson with little bottles of ink - are those inkjet? perhaps.

Any experiences anyone wants to share? Thank you!
It sounds as if you - the OP - are a low use person so the Epson that you are referring to is not a good choice. But for others viewing this thread, I believe what she is referring to it the Epson Ecotank. It is expensive compared to other ink jet printers, but they are selling the printer, not a commitment to pay a fortune constantly buying cartridges. Having had one a long time now and only beginning to need to refill the black tank, I would think that what they cite on their advertised page (linked above) is pretty accurate. A colored page costs you 1 cent in ink vs. 20 cents for most other ink jet printers.

Buy from Costco, you get an initial fill of the four colors, a replacement bottle for three of the colors, and two replacement bottles for the black.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
It sounds as if you - the OP - are a low use person so the Epson that you are referring to is not a good choice. But for others viewing this thread, I believe what she is referring to it the Epson Ecotank. It is expensive compared to other ink jet printers, but they are selling the printer, not a commitment to pay a fortune constantly buying cartridges. Having had one a long time now and only beginning to need to refill the black tank, I would think that what they cite on their advertised page (linked above) is pretty accurate. A colored page costs you 1 cent in ink vs. 20 cents for most other ink jet printers.

Buy from Costco, you get an initial fill of the four colors, a replacement bottle for three of the colors, and two replacement bottles for the black.
Roger, thank you for the clarification! Yes, now I realize this would not be a good choice for me.

It's the combination of low use and the dry desert climate that is leading me to Laser.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have this printer. I print rarely and am having the same issue as previous printers -- printing not showing up (drying perhaps) or very faded. I have plenty of ink in the tanks. Drives me insane.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I bought an Epson ecotank ET-7700 in December 2017. I paid $450. I had reached my limit with buying and replacing cartridges every few months. Epson promised 2 years of ink with the 2 sets of ink bottles that come with this printer. So, I’ve had it 20 months now and we’re still on the first set of color bottles having only replaced the black bottle. That’s great! The printer was excellent and easy to use until a few weeks ago. For some reason, it started going offline on my wifi network. Sometimes I have to rejoin it to the network. Sometimes I can unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in and it’ll work for a week or so and go offline again. I’ve even restarted my laptop a couple of times and after it reboots, the printer has started printing whatever was in its queue. It’s random and very frustrating.

So, while the ink tanks are great and for the first 15 months made the printer a good value despite the upfront cost, the network issues make it impossible for me to recommend the printer to anyone else. I’ve used Epson printers for years and this is the first one I’ve had a problem with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Inkjet printers use liquid ink, and will smear if they get wet, and dry out if not used often enough. The printout is glossy, because the dried ink is sitting on top of the page. A laser printer is done with powdered toner, so is "flat," not glossy printing. And the process melts the toner onto the paper, so it won't smear.

If you're printing color photos, you may be money ahead to upload your images to places like Costco, and go pick up your color prints. Let them do the hard work. If you print mostly black and white, then definitely go with a B&W laser - your per-page costs will be substantially lower than with a comparable inkjet.

If you like the idea of printing in color, and you don't need photo-realistic quality, then a color laser is a fantastic bargain. If you need high-speed printing, then you're looking at a higher price point. But if you print only a few pages every so often, then it may be an excellent purchase to make.

I have owned a number of different printers over the years, each of which have been less than satisfying, until now. I now own a Brother HL-L8350CDW Color Laser printer. It prints color images very well, does duplex printing (prints on both sides without having to flip the paper), and it's wireless on my home network. My router is upstairs, and the printer is downstairs, in a corner of the living room. Very convenient.

I got it from Amazon, and paid around $350 for it. So your $300 budget isn't far off the mark. Checking just now, I see a comparable model, slightly newer, but with additional features, for only $339. Killer deal. https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L...&qid=1567368917&s=gateway&tag=pcmagcontent-20

If I was shopping for a color laser printer, I'd buy this one.

(Stay away from HP lasers. The ones made for home users have tons of issues, and my spouse (the Refund Cashier at Costco) gets them back ALL the time.)

Hope this helps.

Dave

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have this printer. I print rarely and am having the same issue as previous printers -- printing not showing up (drying perhaps) or very faded. I have plenty of ink in the tanks. Drives me insane.
My guess is that you don't use the printer enough and the ink is drying up in the nozzles.

Go to the manual (can be found on line) and try the print head nozzle check (which will probably confirm what you already know) and then do a print head cleaning. (Instructions are in the manual.) Hopefully that will solve your problem.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have an HP LaserJet P1102w printer that just prints black and is perfect. I don't think they make this anymore, but for less than $100 you can get the HP LaserJet Pro M15w. For just standard printing, it should work. We often just print coupons and travel confirmations on it. WHen we check in for airlines we also print our boarding passes. We also have a color Canon ink jet printer for printing color. If you are looking to print photos, don't bother with a printer and just order them online. Way better quality and cheap too. Photos printed on a consumer grade printer always look like crap, *crap*.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that you don't use the printer enough and the ink is drying up in the nozzles.

Go to the manual (can be found on line) and try the print head nozzle check (which will probably confirm what you already know) and then do a print head cleaning. (Instructions are in the manual.) Hopefully that will solve your problem.
Yes, I've done those things and they usually work. I just get annoyed having to spend 20 mins doing printer maintenance when I want to print a single page (usually a boarding pass as I'm rushing out the door -- hahahaha). I should just print more and that would solve the problem!

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I bought an Epson ecotank ET-7700 in December 2017. I paid $450. I had reached my limit with buying and replacing cartridges every few months. Epson promised 2 years of ink with the 2 sets of ink bottles that come with this printer. So, I’ve had it 20 months now and we’re still on the first set of color bottles having only replaced the black bottle. That’s great! The printer was excellent and easy to use until a few weeks ago. For some reason, it started going offline on my wifi network. Sometimes I have to rejoin it to the network. Sometimes I can unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in and it’ll work for a week or so and go offline again. I’ve even restarted my laptop a couple of times and after it reboots, the printer has started printing whatever was in its queue. It’s random and very frustrating.

So, while the ink tanks are great and for the first 15 months made the printer a good value despite the upfront cost, the network issues make it impossible for me to recommend the printer to anyone else. I’ve used Epson printers for years and this is the first one I’ve had a problem with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I bought a Canon Ink Tank printer similar to the Epson ecotank and my experience is very similar. When researching I was concerned about the quality of print. I shouldn't have worried. The print quality is excellent. And I haven't needed to purchase more ink for over a year. While the printer costs more up front the savings on ink cartridges allows you to recoup those upfront costs quite easily. I've had my printer for a little over a year and have not experienced the issues Rolltydr has had, nor have I needed to purchase more ink. By now I would have gone thru at least 6 cartridge sets (black + color) which would have cost me $52 per set. So right now, based on the cartridge prices, the printer cost me about $35. After another 2 months I'm in the black on the purchase.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Yes, I've done those things and they usually work. I just get annoyed having to spend 20 mins doing printer maintenance when I want to print a single page (usually a boarding pass as I'm rushing out the door -- hahahaha). I should just print more and that would solve the problem!
Boarding passes??? LOL! OK, that's one thing I don't worry about. Been laying my phone on the reader for years.

Seriously, that's just it! There was a time when we all enjoyed having a printer at home. (OK, honestly, my most recent ones have been for business, but my current beloved employer makes it extremely difficult to print anything.) The truth is that we just don't need to print much anymore - which might even be a topic :)

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Inkjet printers use liquid ink, and will smear if they get wet, and dry out if not used often enough. The printout is glossy, because the dried ink is sitting on top of the page. A laser printer is done with powdered toner, so is "flat," not glossy printing. And the process melts the toner onto the paper, so it won't smear.

If you're printing color photos, you may be money ahead to upload your images to places like Costco, and go pick up your color prints. Let them do the hard work. If you print mostly black and white, then definitely go with a B&W laser - your per-page costs will be substantially lower than with a comparable inkjet.

If you like the idea of printing in color, and you don't need photo-realistic quality, then a color laser is a fantastic bargain. If you need high-speed printing, then you're looking at a higher price point. But if you print only a few pages every so often, then it may be an excellent purchase to make.

I have owned a number of different printers over the years, each of which have been less than satisfying, until now. I now own a Brother HL-L8350CDW Color Laser printer. It prints colors images very well, does duplex printing (prints on both sides without having to flip the paper), and it's wireless on my home network. My router is upstairs, and the printer is downstairs, in a corner of the living room. Very convenient.

I got it from Amazon, and paid around $350 for it. So your $300 budget isn't far off the mark. Checking just now, I see a comparable model, slightly newer, but with additional features, for only $339. Killer deal. https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L...&qid=1567368917&s=gateway&tag=pcmagcontent-20

If I was shopping for a color laser printer, I'd buy this one.

(Stay away from HP lasers. The ones made for home users have tons of issues, and my spouse (the Refund Cashier at Costco) gets them back ALL the time.)

Hope this helps.

Dave
WOW! And, where are the Gold Stars for best post?

I think there was a time when we all relied on HP Printers. I know I did. Interesting that most folks mentioned Brothers. I am SO glad I asked! Thank you!!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For light printing. Just go with an $80 laser printer and replace the toner every year for another $60. Gives you crisp smudge free printing every time. I really see no need for a color printer. We don't have smartphones, so we still have to print our boarding passes.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boarding passes??? LOL! OK, that's one thing I don't worry about. Been laying my phone on the reader for years.

Seriously, that's just it! There was a time when we all enjoyed having a printer at home. (OK, honestly, my most recent ones have been for business, but my current beloved employer makes it extremely difficult to print anything.) The truth is that we just don't need to print much anymore - which might even be a topic :)
I never have pockets so my phone is tucked away when I’m dealing with the chaos of security.

geekette

Reaction score
I finally caved in to laser as well, after inkjet dry up and the surprising condition of my last laserjet that all colors must have ink to print anything, even grayscale.

I am loyal to HP, got bottom of the line laser that was reasonably cheap (I think 200ish), is quiet, and fast. I did not bother getting color because I don't need it.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I never liked inkjets because they get clogged.

For mono, we have a Canon Imageclass that also has a flatbed copier and Fax for those dinosaur govt agencies and businesses that require a fax (!) I like having a copier at home - although using it much less every day because everything is becoming paperless.

For color, we bought at LaserJet 400 color printer about a decade ago for about $450 for my small business to print brochures and client presentations. Never had an issue. This is a workhorse. Worth the money.

I wouldn't recommend Brother because we had a Brother color Laser. Even though it was much cheaper it worked for about a year but then had issues with printing lines showing the on the paper and jamming. It lasted only about 3 years with much frustration. It also was really big and took up a lot of desk space.

A single black high yield cartridge runs about $70 and will last a long time if your usage is light. If you go with color, remember, color is much more expensive costing about $350 to replace 4 color cartridges with high yield ink.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I never liked inkjets because they get clogged.

For mono, we have a Canon Imageclass that also has a flatbed copier and Fax for those dinosaur govt agencies and businesses that require a fax (!) I like having a copier at home - although using it much less every day because everything is becoming paperless.

For color, we bought at LaserJet 400 color printer about a decade ago for about $450 for my small business to print brochures and client presentations. Never had an issue. This is a workhorse. Worth the money.

I wouldn't recommend Brother because we had a Brother color Laser. Even though it was much cheaper it worked for about a year but then had issues with printing lines showing the on the paper and jamming. It lasted only about 3 years with much frustration. It also was really big and took up a lot of desk space.

A single black high yield cartridge runs about $70 and will last a long time if your usage is light. If you go with color, remember, color is much more expensive costing about $350 to replace 4 color cartridges with high yield ink.

I don't disagree with you, and I definitely think having the right machine for the task at hand is the right one to buy. (Kind of like computers - the one to get is the one that does what you need it to do. :))

I didn't know there was a color version of the HP 400 printer? I had one, and it was monochrome only. I recall it being a good printer, but the convoluted paper path made printing envelopes and card stock a challenge.

Newer color laser cartridges are a lot less expensive that they used to be. Check current pricing - you might be surprised at how inexpensive they are these days. Home-use color laser printers are much smaller, and don't require those expensive, monstrous cartridges office-use color lasers needed. It all depends on how much printing will be done, of course.

Lines on laser output, especially if in a consistent pattern down the page, is generally caused by a damaged drum roller. Replacement of the drum is usually the cure for that. Random patterns of stray toner and marks on a page usually indicate a dirty machine that needs a thorough cleaning.

Paper jamming is most often caused by an unclean or misaligned paper path. If the machine is used a lot, proper maintenance can make a world of difference in performance.

Dave

Last edited: