• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thoughts on purchasing Marco Island Affiliate

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a current Hyatt owner, but am very interested in getting an HGVC unit. I am looking at a fixed week 51 at one of the Marco Island affiliates for around 5K. My understanding is that the maintenance fees are around 1200 - so roughly 17 cents a point when converted to HGVC.

The unit on the deed doesn't seem great, but it does look like it's ocean view.

I do like that I could use the fixed week occasionally, but don't think I would do so more than once every few years (my wife prefers warmer ocean water).

I understand that I would need to pay some upfront fees to exchange within HGVC. Are there any additional ongoing fees? For example, if my maintenance fee is $1200, does that include HGVC club membership, or is that an additional fee? What about RCI membership?

I am interested in HGVC to exchange to the big island once every couple of years (early summer), exchange into SSR via RCI, exchange into either Breck or Park city (Winter), and exchange into other south florida properties in summer / fall.

Does this sound like a good deal?

Las Vegas resorts hold very little interest to me, so this seems like a solid balance between up front expense, ongoing fees, and is a place I could use on a somewhat regular basis.

Thanks!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Welcome to the HGVC forum! First of all, what resort are you looking at? Make sure that fixed week is a platinum 2 bedroom. If it’s not (a week 51 should be), your ratio will be higher. The SW Florida resorts are older (they actually pre date HGVC), but are very hard to book using HGVC point if you don’t own there. There are better MF per point ratios, but those units are worth it in my opinion.

As far as fees go, you have your MF’s, $176 club fee (this year), and, if you don’t use your home season/fixed week, it’s a $65 booking fee. There are other fees, such as point saving and such. RCI membership is included in the club, but you must use the HGVC RCI portal. Unless your are looking at The Charter Club, you can enroll your unit in II as well, but wouldn’t be through HGVC.

Depending on the resort, $5000 for a platinum 2 bedroom fixed week 51 at a SW Florida resorts seems like a good deal. You might have additional purchase and transfer fees on top of that and you will have to pay to enroll into HGVC, but we all have those.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Week 51 at that price is very very good.

Make sure it is fixed and not in the flex pool as some resorts also have week 51 in the flex pool and even if a week 51 is listed on the deed it is only for deed purposes and you are not guaranteed that week. You would go into a lottery system.

As far as view if it is Surf Club or Eagles nest I can let you know. Charter Club I am not familiar with room locations.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Week 51 at that price is very very good.

Make sure it is fixed and not in the flex pool as some resorts also have week 51 in the flex pool and even if a week 51 is listed on the deed it is only for deed purposes and you are not guaranteed that week. You would go into a lottery system.

As far as view if it is Surf Club or Eagles nest I can let you know. Charter Club I am not familiar with room locations.

It's Charter Club. It's in the north unit (good), but a lower floor -- so I'm not crazy about the unit, but I'm really not that picky personally. I do have a copy of the deed where it is listed as week 51. Should I call the resort to verify that it is in fact fixed and not floating? Any way to be sure that it is fixed for that week?

Thanks all!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s right on the water, even a lower floor will have a view. It’s a great resort with sailboats, kayaks, etc available free when I was there

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's Charter Club. It's in the north unit (good), but a lower floor -- so I'm not crazy about the unit, but I'm really not that picky personally. I do have a copy of the deed where it is listed as week 51. Should I call the resort to verify that it is in fact fixed and not floating? Any way to be sure that it is fixed for that week?

Thanks all!
Yes call the resort. Make sure you are buying fixed, flex would cost much less.

Many love Charter Club because of all the free activities included which save lots of money.

My least favorite on Marco Island as when I walked the property to see if I would buy there it didn’t look as well maintained as the surf club or eagles nest.

If it is a fixed week 51, which is a hard week to get, at surf club or eagles nest it would cost lots more, so if you will use it, it is a good buy.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I own Charter Club, and love it there. In those buildings, floor 1 is actually a level above the ground floor. On floors 1-3, you may have some palm trees obstructing your view, but you will still have a great view of the beach and ocean -- no buildings in your way. All the units are 2BR and all face the beach. The 05 units are on the south side with a wrap-around lanai, then the 06 and 07 units are in the middle, and the 08 units are on the north side, again with a wrap-around lanai.

To the north of the property is the Marriott Crystal Shores, and you will hear the music they play on your lanai during the day in the 08 units. They shut down around 5-6pm, but it can be a bit annoying. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I am glad our unit is an 05.

As mentioned above, Charter Club is great due to the activities included. Kayak, paddleboards, Hobie Cats, bikes -- if you use them, you save a bunch of $$ vs. renting when you stay other places. I think $5K is a great deal. Three years back we paid $8.5K for week 52 (higher floor, 05 unit). If you think you will use the week most of the time, I say go for it! Having the flexibility to convert it to 7000 HGVC points on the years you don't use the fixed week makes for a very flexible ownership, IMO.

As for the MF/point ratio, yes $0.17 is on the higher side for a Platinum week in HGVC, but not bad. I look at it this way -- during week 51, there is no way you are going to get a 2BD beach front condo for $1200. More like $2K+. So if you use it, the MF is a bargain!

Kurt

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Charter Club, and love it there. In those buildings, floor 1 is actually a level above the ground floor. On floors 1-3, you may have some palm trees obstructing your view, but you will still have a great view of the beach and ocean -- no buildings in your way. All the units are 2BR and all face the beach. The 05 units are on the south side with a wrap-around lanai, then the 06 and 07 units are in the middle, and the 08 units are on the north side, again with a wrap-around lanai.

To the north of the property is the Marriott Crystal Shores, and you will hear the music they play on your lanai during the day in the 08 units. They shut down around 5-6pm, but it can be a bit annoying. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I am glad our unit is an 05.

As mentioned above, Charter Club is great due to the activities included. Kayak, paddleboards, Hobie Cats, bikes -- if you use them, use save a bunch of $$ vs. renting when you stay other places. I think $5K is a great deal. Three years back we paid $8.5K for week 52 (higher floor, 05 unit). If you think you will use the week most of the time, I say go for it! Having the flexibility to convert it to 7000 HGVC points on the years you don't use the fixed week makes for a very flexible ownership, IMO.

As for the MF/point ratio, yes $0.17 is on the higher side for a Platinum week in HGVC, but not bad. I look at it this way -- during week 51, there is no way you are going to get a 2BD beach front condo for $1200. More like $2K+. So if you use it, the MF is a bargain!
Kurt

These are great thoughts. We are a young family (oldest will be 6 soon), and we have twins that will be 2 soon. As such, it's important for us to get a fixed week that we can uses (during school breaks). Since it sounds like you've been there during late December, how is the water temperature? I grew up going to Southern California beaches -- so 65 degrees is typical for me...I'd spend hours at a time in the water. Is there much to do on the island to entertain families? We aren't typically sit out on the balcony and enjoy the views type people. What are some activities you've enjoyed when you've been there?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
These are great thoughts. We are a young family (oldest will be 6 soon), and we have twins that will be 2 soon. As such, it's important for us to get a fixed week that we can uses (during school breaks). Since it sounds like you've been there during late December, how is the water temperature? I grew up going to Southern California beaches -- so 65 degrees is typical for me...I'd spend hours at a time in the water. Is there much to do on the island to entertain families? We aren't typically sit out on the balcony and enjoy the views type people. What are some activities you've enjoyed when you've been there?
So we have been spending the holidays on Marco Island for seven years now, since our daughter was 11. We also own week 51 at the Surf Club, and added week 52 at Charter Club later. Weather is usually nice, with average highs in the upper 70s to mid 80s. Most years have been great and very little rain, but we have had a few cooler, rainy days. Not sure what the water temperature has been, but we have always been able to be in the water, though it can be a bit chilly. I would say if you are used to SoCal beaches, you will be fine.

As for activities, we have always found plenty to keep the three of us occupied. We do enjoy our beach time, especially when our daughter was younger. Lots of shelling, playing in the sand, and general exploring the beach and water. The Everglades are a short drive, and we have done fan boat and nature boat tours from Everglade City. One year we chartered a small sailboat just for us and the captain took us on a fantastic 3 hour tour (queue Gilligan's Island theme song...). We've done jetski tours, catamaran tours, visited the farmer's market, mini golf, and Naples is a short drive to spend shopping, etc. One of my daughters must-do's every year is to go to the small movie theater (walking distance) because it is set up more like a lounge w/ tables and they come serve you. Then of course there is always the swimming pool to spend some quality time together. In short, we have never felt bored. Plus, there are great restaurants to explore there (very few chains).

Kurt

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All, thanks for the help. I called the resort and unfortunately, it is a flex week, so I won't be moving forward. The idea of a week 51 or 52 sounds pretty great now though.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
All, thanks for the help. I called the resort and unfortunately, it is a flex week, so I won't be moving forward. The idea of a week 51 or 52 sounds pretty great now though.

Good thing you did. You can pick up Flex weeks for next to nothing. I might do that someday.

Charter Club has fixed, float and flex. You need to make sure what you're buying.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Glad you found out. Every unit should have an underlying deed if it is not trust (and I don't think any HGVC unit or affiliate in general is but there might be exceptions). My SeaWorld unit is floating points but the deed itself has an underlying unit number and week (as does my Hyatt).

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too bad, keep looking. Good deals do pop up.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, big thanks to everyone. Because of the advice on this forum I avoided what would have been a pretty costly lesson. I'm currently on the lookout for HGVC inventory. I've been able to get some great deals by staying patient and waiting for the right opportunity...just hoping a good opportunity comes sooner rather than later :).

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Imho the best options (order of preference)are 1. Eagles nest walk up villas. 2. Charter club. 3. Eagles nest tower.

Both resorts are very nice and have pluses and minuses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bxian

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Charter Club (3 flex weeks). I think it may be hard to find a Platinum holiday week for $5,000. We don't mind the flex weeks, but we bought when our kids were in college, so we were not tied to a younger family's school schedule. We typically use 2 weeks in late October or November or 2 weeks in early January. We just bought the 3rd week and plan on using it to trade. We started with only 1 week, but we found the views and relaxation at the Charter Club to be so terrific that we kept adding on. Flex weeks include summer as well as Thanksgiving week, so there are options to use the flex weeks that would mesh with a school vacation.