• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Declining to be the executor of my parents' estate

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ours is a Living Trust...went to an Attorney and had ours updated to make sure that it was current for AZ.
We did the same when we moved to AZ. The attorney looked it over, saw that I had a substantial amount as separate property (inheritance from dad's trust), and said we didn't need that because we'd been married for almost 50 years. WHAT??? That's not his decision. I knew DH resented that inheritance so I kept my mouth shut, and it makes no difference to our daily life or estate planning, but the attorney was out of line. It he thought that, he should have spoken to me privately.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the same when we moved to AZ. The attorney looked it over, saw that I had a substantial amount as separate property (inheritance from dad's trust), and said we didn't need that because we'd been married for almost 50 years. WHAT??? That's not his decision. I knew DH resented that inheritance so I kept my mouth shut, and it makes no difference to our daily life or estate planning, but the attorney was out of line. It he thought that, he should have spoken to me privately.
This reminds me of the 2nd trust attorney we had. While she had verbiage for sole and separate property, she created one joint trust and moved all our accounts and homes into the joint trust. I was pretty upset as I had significant separate property which I wanted left to my son. We went to a 3rd trust attorney who fixed it with an addendum and created sole and separate property trustees and I was able to move my homes and financial accounts into a separate property trust.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
last posts remind me of the last trust of my husband’s mother, she disenherited his brother unless he divorced his wife. So they got the divorce but stayed together. That was almost twenty years ago, still together and got his inheritance. Why the lawyer never mentioned that possibility I don’t know. And before you leap to the lawyers defense, that was the layers solution to make sure she never saw the money. Originally it was to be put in a trust.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If watching someone else handle the estate in a way you would question or that would bother you you need to stay executor. If you really do not care about the outcome and are ok with however things end up then say no.