• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] Transitions is finally announced

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think $750 is reasonable for a resort to deed back. With poor resale opportunities, the resort will be getting stuck with inventory and the costs for existing owners will rise. Consider how so many people with off season weeks can't get rid of them in any way - deed back for $750 is a bargain.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
@bobby In this case it is not the resort HOA taking back the deed. The developer takes the deed and thereby becomes responsible for the annual fees. Diamond will then convert the deed to points -- dump it into the trust fund -- and sell the newly created points. So, that off season week is part of a large pool of deeds and the trust fund is paying the fees. If half the deeds in the trust fund are off season, while four-fifths of the points are demanding peak season, well, that's just the way these pure point systems work. Everyone is sold a "red week" because "points are points", regardless of how many red weeks the trust fund actually owns.

Last edited:

JanKT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you to those who are sharing their timeshare experiences through this TUG Forum.

For many reasons we are motivated to be rid of our timeshare through DRI Point at Poipu. We've joined TUG recently, done some of our own research and contacted DRI regarding their Transition program. According to the initial contact, and consistent with the guidelines I read, we were confirmed as "qualified" to apply. I am interested in hearing from members who have had experiences, either positive or negative, successful or not, with the DRI Transition program. Does it work? What are the costs beyond the $750? And what are those costs for? How long did it take? What are the pitfalls? What should we look for to assure success? Why do they state any engagement of a timeshare exit company will disqualify from the program? Any feedback or personal experiences would be great. Many thanks! JanKT

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you can read the sticky above, hundreds of TUG members have successfullly used the dri deedback program to give back their unwanted DRI timeshares.

despite it just being "announced" relatively recently, the program has been in place for over 3 years.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not feel the resort is stuck when you turned in your deed to Diamond.
DRI, can resell that timeshare for big dollars or they can rent it out.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
DRI loves to get back deeded weeks so they can add them to the points collection. The Point at Poipu has been voted the best resort that they own, and has very high occupancy rates. They even pay all the delinquent HOA fees so they can add foreclosed properties into the points collection.

JanKT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, Pedro47, and artringwald: Thank you for the additional comments on this thread. Do you have any suggestions on how I might be able to find and connect with a former owner who had a successful deedback just to understand how they viewed the process, and what might make it work more smoothly? Many thanks! JanKT

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brian, Pedro47, and artringwald: Thank you for the additional comments on this thread. Do you have any suggestions on how I might be able to find and connect with a former owner who had a successful deedback just to understand how they viewed the process, and what might make it work more smoothly? Many thanks! JanKT
Have you looked at this thread?

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...e-back-your-diamond-resorts-timeshare.224859/

Several of the people have posted on that thread that their deedback was successful. You might start with one of the more recent posts and send them a message. If they said you qualified, I think there's a high probability that it will go through, but I don't know how long that might take. Here's the poll from that thread:

upload_2018-11-9_14-33-35.png

trekdc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think $750 is reasonable for a resort to deed back. With poor resale opportunities, the resort will be getting stuck with inventory and the costs for existing owners will rise. Consider how so many people with off season weeks can't get rid of them in any way - deed back for $750 is a bargain.
I spoke with the Transitions rep yesterday & was told that I qualified for the feedback, & that I would get an email confirmation & then the necessary documents which would have to be sent back within 2 weeks. I was also told that I could call them for extension of that time. So far so good. It went as others on Tug have explained. I get an email confirmation today & see that the "PROCESSING FEES" (my italics) would be $1000. Yes that's right, $1000. No more a more reasonably ridiculous $750. To add confusion to outrageousness, Step 1 of the guide instructions states that the document (MRA or Mutual Release Agreement) will take anywhere from 30-90 days to receive this document, which incidentally has to be returned within 14 days! I'll pay & complete all this paperwork, & then after a reasonable wait, burn all these documents & try to forget this nightmare from DRI. My wife & I had a timeshare in Kissimmee, Fl, week 9, that we used only a few times. We haven't been back since 2005, while the MF kept going up & up each year. We were naive, obviously, & didn't know about Tug until recently. We should have rented a unit as some friends of ours have done. Oh well!

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
I spoke with the Transitions rep yesterday & was told that I qualified for the feedback, & that I would get an email confirmation & then the necessary documents which would have to be sent back within 2 weeks. I was also told that I could call them for extension of that time. So far so good. It went as others on Tug have explained. I get an email confirmation today & see that the "PROCESSING FEES" (my italics) would be $1000. Yes that's right, $1000. No more a more reasonably ridiculous $750. To add confusion to outrageousness, Step 1 of the guide instructions states that the document (MRA or Mutual Release Agreement) will take anywhere from 30-90 days to receive this document, which incidentally has to be returned within 14 days! I'll pay & complete all this paperwork, & then after a reasonable wait, burn all these documents & try to forget this nightmare from DRI. My wife & I had a timeshare in Kissimmee, Fl, week 9, that we used only a few times. We haven't been back since 2005, while the MF kept going up & up each year. We were naive, obviously, & didn't know about Tug until recently. We should have rented a unit as some friends of ours have done. Oh well!

In the last year, Transitions has gone from $250 (per contract) to $1,000 (per contract). No reason for the increase other than for Diamond to make more money and make it harder for people to return their contracts or weeks. If you have multiple contracts (purchases) then it's $1,000 for each one Transitioned. It's almost as if Diamond is pushing owners to take the Nuclear Option and just walking away which is something I really can't understand.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the last year, Transitions has gone from $250 (per contract) to $1,000 (per contract). No reason for the increase other than for Diamond to make more money and make it harder for people to return their contracts or weeks. If you have multiple contracts (purchases) then it's $1,000 for each one Transitioned. It's almost as if Diamond is pushing owners to take the Nuclear Option and just walking away which is something I really can't understand.
The most likely explanation is that Diamond owns too many points that they can't sell or rent. Like any other owner, they have to pay the maintenance fees to the Collection.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond also seems to be one of the most aggressive companies going after 3rd party resellers. Including even making it difficult for the totally legit 3rd party resellers. Diamond seems to now be restricting 3rd party resellers that companies like Marriott, Westin, Spinnaker, SPM Resorts, etc have no problems with.

Is it possible that Diamond saw what timeshare exit companies (even the legit ones) were charging owners to exit their timeshare and decided they could capture some of the revenue from that market?

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
The most likely explanation is that Diamond owns too many points that they can't sell or rent. Like any other owner, they have to pay the maintenance fees to the Collection.

That is a possibility I hadn't considered and quite possibly true, at least partially.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Is there such a thing as a legit timeshare exit company? There are timeshare resell Brokers that take their cut of the sell price - but exit company?

rpennisi

Reaction score
I clicked on the Transitions button on the DRI web site. We have 3 weeks at the Point at Poipu, one from the developer and 2 from resale. Only the one from the developer showed up in the list of deeds available for the transition program.
I also clicked on the transitions button on the DRI site. My deeded week appears on the site, and it is a resale that I bought on Ebay back in 2007. I am not ready to give up the week, just checking, but wonder if I would get rejected from using transitons if I tried. The wording seems to be for rejection, but the week is listed(?).

FLEWIS

Reaction score
Has anyone ever been denied Diamond Transitions because they did not meet the requirements, specifically this requirement?
  • Participation with a timeshare exit or resale company or firm may make you ineligible to apply for Transitions.
I started a correspondence with a 3rd party to get out of my timeshare and I'm wondering if Transitions will deny my application based on that?

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
We tried to sell our 4 contracts with a TimeShare Exit Co. There was no interest there so took them off the market. We went thru transitions and there was never a problem. We lost all current points ( almost 50,000) and paid the fee (depending on what state contract was purchased in) and then boom...we were out! Not paying the $9,000+ maintenance fee each year was wonderful.