• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exit Strategy

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Here is a recent review of our first resort:

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip, I decided to take my wife with me for a quick get away. First off this place is in the ghetto and to be quite honest after 11 years as a Public Housing Police Officer I was uneasy. When we pulled in which was late due to a flight delay there was a state Trooper talking to the armed Security Officer. Unknown to me the staff leaves at 10, the Security Officer who was a great guy went to the office and retrieved our room key for us. The room was clean at first glance but when we pulled the sheets down they were beyond filthy. We actually went out to a Walmart and bought sheets and a blanket because there was no way we were sleeping on those sheets. On the morning of check out I went to bring the luggage to the car ( about 7am ) there was a line of blood on the ground that went past our room and to the parking lot, so someone either got stabbed or had their nose broken and stumbled to the parking lot. Needless to say my wife was horrified and I can confidently say we will not be returning.

Our last time there, we heard gunfire from the apartment complex next door.

Are we going to go as far as saying that we should be obligated to be locked into supporting that financially?

Yeah, I know, by the local logic, that is totally my fault. In 1989 I should have gone on the Internet, and found TUG, and I would have known that that area of Orlando was going to be in the Ghetto in 20 years.

:D

Speaking of which, we do not go to Orlando any more because so much of it is unseemly, and that is just being really polite.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
As I've said, I have done the grunt work and given away several for free, but it was not without a twinge of guilt, even the one just described, and that was many years years ago, prior to the present-day exit debacle.

Gotta run, friends on their way in their boat . . .

But, it occurs to me that a key to finding someone to take your timeshares is to be as honest as you have to be without being as honest as you know you should be.

Hanging out here makes it easier to do that, since, after all, those taking our weeks are adults, and they are totally responsible for doing what they do.

:cool:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Gotta run, friends on their way in their boat . . .

But, it occurs to me that a key to finding someone to take your timeshares is to be as honest as you have to be without being as honest as you know you should be.

Hanging out here makes it easier to do that, since, after all, those taking our weeks are adults, and they are totally responsible for doing what they do.

:cool:

I just had the thought that some people say you have a financial obligation to keep paying for a timeshare you don't need or use or want, because you signed a contract . . .

But, no one who buys resale, or very few, did.

I would think that legally a resort, or an association, can prevent you from using a week you stopped paying the MF for, but they can't force you to pay something you never agreed to pay.

Any attorneys wanna run with that thought?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I know it's not a lot to some of you, but getting rid of the timeshares I have over the last years saves us $4000 a year in maintenance fee.

When you add that to the ones we still have, and property taxes on two houses, and personal property taxes, and insurance renewals or quarterlies, that made for a very expensive December.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I know it's not a lot to some of you, but getting rid of the timeshares I have over the last years saves us $4000 a year in maintenance fee.

When you add that to the ones we still have, and property taxes on two houses, and personal property taxes, and insurance renewals or quarterlies, that made for a very expensive December.

$4k is a lot of money!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Let me ask those who are so opposed to providing an exit . . . .

1. If the affect on Maintenance Fees was the same whether the association sued and foreclosed and placed liens on unproductive owners, or just provided a way for dissatisfied owners to leave, would you still want to try to force them to stay?

#2. If the association (resort) could provide for more income, and keep fees low(er), by taking back weeks (through any method), provide a resale program, provide a rental program, and provide bonus weeks to current owners, would that be of interest?

Poisson

Reaction score
Has anyone worked with Timeshare Cancel Professionals? Or are they just another scam operation?

Poisson

Reaction score
We bought Grand Mayan 1/4 share (1 week studio + suite with kitchen) in 2006. We can't afford the Renovation fees and aren't using the place anymore. I am wondering about an exit strategy. Is there one? And what will happen if we just walk away: stop Renovation fee payments and leave the original payment with them. We do not live in the US or Mexico.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Just stop all payments and walk away.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
is a lengthy thread in the mexico forum about walking away from mexican timeshares, might want to give it a read!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone worked with Timeshare Cancel Professionals? Or are they just another scam operation?

While I'll agree with what Geist1223 says, my questions are:

1) How did you come to find out about TCP?
2) How much is TCP going to charge you?
3) Does TCP explain the process of you it plans to supposedly cancel your timeshare? If so, what exactly is the process?

Poisson

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm new to this site so didn't check. I got out of a new timeshare contract by following advice on this site, so I am very grateful for the information TUGS provides.
RE: selling the contract we had:
Yours are good questions. I am now looking at using redweek.com
To answer question #1 I got the link to redweek.com through a friend of a friend whose mother sold her timeshare. I can't get back to this person to find out details, but it was a personal recommendation.
So now my question is: has anyone sold using redweek.com?
# 2.
Here is the some information on cost from redweek: Membership is currently $18.99 for 12 months and is required to add a rental or resale, or to contact an owner about a posting. Rental postings are $29.99 for 6 months, and resale postings are $59.99 for 12 months. We also have full-service options, for an additional cost. A full list of pricing and benefits can be found on our pricing and details page.
I haven't found the answer to #3.
Thanks again for the excellent questions

Poisson

Reaction score
is a lengthy thread in the mexico forum about walking away from mexican timeshares, might want to give it a read!
Thanks for this suggestion. I'm not sure how to find the thread in the mexico forum. I'd very much like to read it.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free