• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When does the day shift over according to the HGVC website?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
In order to get a jump on a booking, when exactly does the HGVC computers think it is "Tomorrow".

What time zone does the computer go by to set its date?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Midnight Eastern.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, I'm in Central so today is tomorrow.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
But "midnight" is not really midnight in the frontier.
In La-La land, Midnight (Eastern) is like 9PM for them...
Those in other TZ's should stay up until 12AM local, just to be fair.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Midnight Eastern.
How strict is this, other than glitches?

I have tried making a resie at midnight EST when 0 availability was shown. The next AM it was all there...Most times it works...

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well I'm having a strange message, and of course it's a Sunday, call center is closed. Darn.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We live in Ca, and i have always made my reservations just after 9:00 PM local...

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well I'm having a strange message, and of course it's a Sunday, call center is closed. Darn.

Well I discovered something new. HGVC uses changeable reservations that are good for a calendar year. HOWEVER, I was dealing with a reservation that started in 2017 and ended in 2018. Well guess what. If you book it to start it is OK, but at any point after that you change it, it provides an INVALID CHANGE notice. I am like WTF. How can I have an invalid change.

So of course they were closed but I called and apparently it is a well known problem. So beware if you are playing around with walking a reservation over the NYE, it may not work for you, and you might have to call to get it worked out.

I did ask, why don't they just have a changeable reservation PERIOD. It draws points from where the reservation is made, and where points are available. Apparently this is a long discussed issue with NO determined resolution. Just a warning I would have never guessed.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We live in Ca, and I have always made my reservations just after 9:00 PM local...
... but you stay awake until Midnight in solidarity with your ET cousins, correct?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I discovered something new. HGVC uses changeable reservations that are good for a calendar year. HOWEVER, I was dealing with a reservation that started in 2017 and ended in 2018. Well guess what. If you book it to start it is OK, but at any point after that you change it, it provides an INVALID CHANGE notice. I am like WTF. How can I have an invalid change.

So of course they were closed but I called and apparently it is a well known problem. So beware if you are playing around with walking a reservation over the NYE, it may not work for you, and you might have to call to get it worked out.

I did ask, why don't they just have a changeable reservation PERIOD. It draws points from where the reservation is made, and where points are available. Apparently this is a long discussed issue with NO determined resolution. Just a warning I would have never guessed.

Yeah, just ran into this. Lost out on a 1 BR in Lagoon Tower because of it as well. By the time I called this morning (I was actually up at midnight last night trying to get the room) the room had been taken.

I'm half-debating about calling back and demanding they cancel the reservation and return my money, as apparently the only way to get it to work (without calling in) is to book a completely new reservation (I probably should've done that and then argued over the cancellation).

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well unfortunately this is a "Club Rules" thing apparently, although I could've sworn I've done it awhile ago on the old website with that near year's points. Anyway, regardless of which years points you used, you cannot change a reservation from one year to the next without cancelling and re-booking (thus losing the cancellation fee).

Club Rules: "All Home Resort, By Hilton Club Priority exchange and Club reservations using ClubPoints at Hilton Grand Vacations Club affiliated resorts may be changed without incurring additional transaction fees provided travel is completed during the same calendar year (not applicable to reservations using Bonus Points). "

I guess we should write/email and request that they allow you to change if you booked with future year points, but I doubt their IT system could handle that.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I called the VC, they said they would have made a second reservation in the new year and waiver the charge, because I really wanted 1 reservation that spanned 2 calendar years.

I did ask if this would ever become a programming change that would allow the system to cross years and to take points from the year the reservation started, but there is no known answer, but it has been discussed many times, especially when the threshold to book form one year to the next is just cross, like it was last week.

So I guess in the future if you know this is going to happen, plan on calling it is as soon as possible.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I called the VC, they said they would have made a second reservation in the new year and waiver the charge, because I really wanted 1 reservation that spanned 2 calendar years.

I did ask if this would ever become a programming change that would allow the system to cross years and to take points from the year the reservation started, but there is no known answer, but it has been discussed many times, especially when the threshold to book form one year to the next is just cross, like it was last week.

So I guess in the future if you know this is going to happen, plan on calling it is as soon as possible.

Oh hey, I forgot, yours was kinda an "on purpose" in that Dec 31/Jan 1 span. I can see your point that they waive the charges (how else is one going to be able to book something like that?). They did something similar for me a while ago where I needed 1 week in Orlando and the only way to get it was like 3 nights at Parc Soleil and 4 nights at Tuscany, so they booked it as two separate reservations, but only charged me one fee.

For my case, it was trying to "walk" the lovely 9-month window, which I guess is a different beast.

:(

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Oh hey, I forgot, yours was kinda an "on purpose" in that Dec 31/Jan 1 span. I can see your point that they waive the charges (how else is one going to be able to book something like that?). They did something similar for me a while ago where I needed 1 week in Orlando and the only way to get it was like 3 nights at Parc Soleil and 4 nights at Tuscany, so they booked it as two separate reservations, but only charged me one fee.

For my case, it was trying to "walk" the lovely 9-month window, which I guess is a different beast.

:(

You had to move during a 1 week vacation!!! Shame on them! So you have to have 2 separate reservations if you want a week than spans 2 years. What would happen if there were 2 days in the old year or 2 days in the new year for the time frame you wanted so you couldn't book 3 days in 1 reservation and 4 days in the other reservation since their reservation system requires a reservation of at least 3 days.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Club Rules: "All Home Resort, By Hilton Club Priority exchange and Club reservations using ClubPoints at Hilton Grand Vacations Club affiliated resorts may be changed without incurring additional transaction fees provided travel is completed during the same calendar year (not applicable to reservations using Bonus Points). ".

Given that this is explicitly stated in the rules, I'd be hard-pressed to call it a programming error that they'd be likely to fix. The rule can certainly be discussed, of course. But it seems that it would require a rule change, not just a bug fix.

Also, I thought that points could only be used in their year (unless saved or borrowed, of course). So I'm not sure why a reservation made in 2017 (with 2017 points) would be able to be walked into 2018 with those same points in any event. Is this not the case with points use?

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Given that this is explicitly stated in the rules, I'd be hard-pressed to call it a programming error that they'd be likely to fix. The rule can certainly be discussed, of course. But it seems that it would require a rule change, not just a bug fix.

Also, I thought that points could only be used in their year (unless saved or borrowed, of course). So I'm not sure why a reservation made in 2017 (with 2017 points) would be able to be walked into 2018 with those same points in any event. Is this not the case with points use?

Cheers.

I agree on the rules but we should be able to make a split year reservation with points from each year without having to make it two separate reservations. I would think there are plenty of people that want to stay over new years eve/day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Cheers.

I agree with the 2017 points (not "rolled over") not being able to be used in 2018. What some of us have desired is to book a 2017 reservation with borrowed 2018 points to "walk" into January for popular places. but that can't be done, so basically if you want January in Hawaii and don't own there, you're pretty much SOL.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
In order to get a jump on a booking, when exactly does the HGVC computers think it is "Tomorrow".

What time zone does the computer go by to set its date?
I just finished walking some reservations for about a week. Had it down to a complete science. :) I could complete two reservation changes within 60 seconds.

Using my computer’s clock, at 8:59:30 PST I’d start clicking the box. It never responded to the first click, but by 8:59:38 it had responded most nights. At no time did it reach 9:00:00 before I got the “Book” option. Most times it was at about 8:59:38 give or take a second or two, though the last couple of nites it was closer to 9:00:00.

So, at least based on my computer’s clock, it turns over between 11:59:30 and 11:59:55 PM Eastern time.