• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacations

rabmsn

Reaction score
The Azeka Shopping Center, 1279 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753, obviously has retained use of the name. Nearby is the more modern Times Supermarket, 1310 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753. That might be the best place to check for the ribs. We've been traveling to Maui since the mid-80s. So much has changed. I lust for the old Kihei town feel.

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was Azeka's Market in Kihei that sold the Maui ribs. We also used to get them and bbq them where we were staying, going back to the 80's...Azeka's closed a few years ago though. Don't know if another market started selling their own version..should have..they were very popular.
You can still buy their sauce: https://www.azekasauce.com/

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That was Azeka's Market in Kihei that sold the Maui ribs. We also used to get them and bbq them where we were staying, going back to the 80's...Azeka's closed a few years ago though. Don't know if another market started selling their own version..should have..they were very popular.
We LOVED those ribs! Haven't been able to find anything close.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
This could definitely get interesting.....if the Hawaiians want to stop the project they certainly can be successful....they definitely know how to pursue issues that can delay it....there was a 50 unit condo building just approved for Alii Drive in Kona that has now been sidelined not to mention TMT.....

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This could definitely get interesting.....if the Hawaiians want to stop the project they certainly can be successful....they definitely know how to pursue issues that can delay it....there was a 50 unit condo building just approved for Alii Drive in Kona that has now been sidelined not to mention TMT.....

The fact the HGVC has already started construction and is moving dirt does reduce the options that opponents might have. The best time to stop something is before the final permitting process because, once dirt starts getting moved, it becomes much more difficult to stop.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The fact the HGVC has already started construction and is moving dirt does reduce the options that opponents might have. The best time to stop something is before the final permitting process because, once dirt starts getting moved, it becomes much more difficult to stop.
Maybe I mis-read the article but it sounded like they didn't discover the bone fragments until after the moving of the dirt had started.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Maybe I mis-read the article but it sounded like they didn't discover the bone fragments until after the moving of the dirt had started.
This was already a resort that had fallen in to disrepair, its not like it was vacant land that had never been developed.

The bones were found along the property line at the fence, may not even be that old.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
Having lived in Hawaii for many years if the locals do not want it built even after it has been started they have many ways to delay or stop it. Just the fact Hilton is having to have meetings NOW indicates that there is a possibility things may change or there is something in the wind that might not be good for HGVC....I would expect some delays from what was in the article....

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
In Calif. if ancient bones are found, they will work with the native population representatives and with the proper rituals will move them to a designated burial ground off property. This happens frequently. Causes delays but is not a showstopper. I expect HI would be similar.

Local opposition is difficult to determine. Is it a bunch on NIMBYs adjacent to the property? or is there more broad based oppo? The land and beach was zoned for a resort previously so it may be difficult to fight based on existing landowner rights. Will it create delays? Probably but developers are accustomed to such issues. HGVC works with Honolulu and NYC to build new projects which are very restrictive municipalities.

OTOH Maui County hates timeshares. They placed punitive taxes on timeshares which the Westins (WKORVN and WKORV) fought and won a few years ago. The case is now in appeals court.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
In Calif. if ancient bones are found, they will work with the native population representatives and with the proper rituals will move them to a designated burial ground off property. This happens frequently. Causes delays but is not a showstopper. I expect HI would be similar.

Local opposition is difficult to determine. Is it a bunch on NIMBYs adjacent to the property? or is there more broad based oppo? The land and beach was zoned for a resort previously so it may be difficult to fight based on existing landowner rights. Will it create delays? Probably but developers are accustomed to such issues. HGVC works with Honolulu and NYC to build new projects which are very restrictive municipalities.

OTOH Maui County hates timeshares. They placed punitive taxes on timeshares which the Westins (WKORVN and WKORV) fought and won a few years ago. The case is now in appeals court.
While I hear what you are saying, it can be very different in Hawaii. (My uncle is heavily involved on the Hawaiian side in similar issues on the Big Island- can't say much more - so I hear the other side's position in great detail). This goes far deeper than nimby's, unfortunately, for Hilton. Only time will tell. Judging by the last line in the article, the other side seems amenable to reaching a compromise, “If they stick to that ordered use from the previous owner, we should be OK,” Kalanikau said. but this quoted portion indicates that it will not be without further discussion:
"Everyone’s not liking that project,” said Vernon Kalanikau, the po’o representative of ‘Aha Moku ‘O Kula Kai Council, one of a dozen regional councils that provide advisory input to state, county and community organizations based on native cultural environmental management practices.

“That timeshare thing, what we going get out of it? What we going benefit from? Maybe jobs. What the community get out of it, what the kanaka get out of it?” he asked.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We are heading to Kihei this afternoon and plan to drive by the area.

I don't think I could take another day of heat in our unit at Hono Koa. Why oh why do we go when it's this hot? All five of the sliding windows (floor to ceiling) face west. When we got back from dinner yesterday, the bedroom was 93 degrees. No AC at Hono Koa, just 7 fans. It's ridiculously hot this entire week. Glad we are moving to Westin Nanea on Friday. :)

We may just spend a little more time in the car than usual.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Having lived in Hawaii for many years if the locals do not want it built even after it has been started they have many ways to delay or stop it. Just the fact Hilton is having to have meetings NOW indicates that there is a possibility things may change or there is something in the wind that might not be good for HGVC....I would expect some delays from what was in the article....

While I hear what you are saying, it can be very different in Hawaii. (My uncle is heavily involved on the Hawaiian side in similar issues on the Big Island- can't say much more - so I hear the other side's position in great detail). This goes far deeper than nimby's, unfortunately, for Hilton. Only time will tell. Judging by the last line in the article, the other side seems amenable to reaching a compromise, “If they stick to that ordered use from the previous owner, we should be OK,” Kalanikau said. but this quoted portion indicates that it will not be without further discussion:
"Everyone’s not liking that project,” said Vernon Kalanikau, the po’o representative of ‘Aha Moku ‘O Kula Kai Council, one of a dozen regional councils that provide advisory input to state, county and community organizations based on native cultural environmental management practices.

“That timeshare thing, what we going get out of it? What we going benefit from? Maybe jobs. What the community get out of it, what the kanaka get out of it?” he asked.

My point was not that it would be impossible to stop/delay after dirt is moved, just that it gets much harder.

There are many anti-development groups in Hawaii who don't value the economic benefits these kinds of projects bring. We even have similar groups in our small community in suburban Charlotte. They will fight any and all development as long as they see an opening.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
[Inappropriate comment deleted]

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I can understand the concern of the locals. Maui has been overrun with tourists and second home owners and VRBOs have increased the cost of housing and altered neighborhoods.

There was a resort there before and they have gone through the planning steps so we'll see what happens. What @JIMinNC is saying that it is uncertain you could easily put the toothpaste back in the tube since they have already started digging. However they could curtail the effort and fight future phases of the development which may result in a smaller footprint.

IMHO...HGVC would do a tasteful job that would add to the value of the area and would be a good neighbor, so I would love to see a resort there. It's not like this is an undeveloped parcel.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It was a resort, planned for a new resort. Main difference is that the new resort is a timeshare. Which in Maui is a bad word.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I suspect that there are strong cultural issues at play, not your typical nimby or environmental concerns and that any solution will involve a good dose of cultural respect. Hawaiians just feel differently about their land (more of a caretaking relationship vs ownership) and are becoming vocal in voicing their concerns.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I suspect that there are strong cultural issues at play, not your typical nimby or environmental concerns and that any solution will involve a good dose of cultural respect. Hawaiians just feel differently about their land (more of a caretaking relationship vs ownership) and are becoming vocal in voicing their concerns.

Sure but the location was already a resort, albeit a very old one that was rundown. So they are replacing a like for like in an existing location. They have already reduced the density and the height based on feedback. But it is not like there was NOT already a resort on this location for a long period of time.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sure but the location was already a resort, albeit a very old one that was rundown. So they are replacing a like for like in an existing location. They have already reduced the density and the height based on feedback. But it is not like there was NOT already a resort on this location for a long period of time.
I think it is seen as an opportunity to right some perceived wrongs or prevent further changes (mention of the cold springs comes to mind). The finding of bones may really complicate things. I only mention these things because the perception is that it is a tourist thing, or a money thing, but I think that it may turn into a cultural thing. Truth be told, my Hawaiian family thinks that some day the kingdom of Hawaii will get the islands back from the US and *I* (as well as everyone else in my family) will be entitled to a slice of land based upon our ancestry. I personally think that will never happen, but my family is 100% sincere in their belief. Hawaiian history is long and complicated.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What puzzles me is why Maui has a bias against timeshares but seem okay with hotels and dilapidated AirBnB apartment complexes. Most timeshare visitors are families, with disposable incomes. They spend on the island. I would think they would want to avoid the younger noisier party atmosphere of Waikiki, with cheezy trinkets on sale on every corner that hotels' attract.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
What puzzles me is why Maui has a bias against timeshares but seem okay with hotels and dilapidated AirBnB apartment complexes. Most timeshare visitors are families, with disposable incomes. They spend on the island. I would think they would want to avoid the younger noisier party atmosphere of Waikiki, with cheezy trinkets on sale on every corner that hotels' attract.

I have always wondered about that as well. I have seen a few references over the past year or two complaining that Timeshares don't create good jobs like hotels. I am not sure if that was in reference to total number of people employed or if the jobs don't pay as much. I don't have any idea if that is even true, but i would guess that Timeshares have smaller housekeeping staffs than a comparable sized hotel.

I have also seen a few comments in the news about Maui wanting to project an exclusive / luxury image, and that timeshares dont fit that image. Again that is kind of hard to quantify, as t/s like the Westin, Hyatt and Marriott Ocean Club are more upscale than many hotels... They might not match the super fancy hotels, but they are nicer than many others.