• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CBS Sunday Morning: American Italians

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
It turns out that 14 million descendants of Italian immigrants to the US also still have Italian citizenship because of bloodline, and there is a movement underway to track that down, and some are emigrating to Italy for a better life.

There is up to a 10-year waiting list at some Italian consulates in the US for those wanting to start the process.

&, I believe they said, those who connect have the right to live anywhere in the EU.

go figure

;)

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It turns out that 14 million descendants of Italian immigrants to the US also still have Italian citizenship because of bloodline, and there is a movement underway to track that down, and some are emigrating to Italy for a better life.

There is up to a 10-year waiting list at some Italian consulates in the US for those wanting to start the process.

&, I believe they said, those who connect have the right to live anywhere in the EU.

go figure

;)

Any EU citizen can live anywhere in the EU. My wife and children have Irish citizenship from a similar process. We actually just about moved to switzerland prior to having kids (which has EU reciprocity).

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
wow

that's bizaro

:D

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of paperwork and proof needed to get that citizenship. Two of my sisters have gone through the lengthy process, yes they can live anywhere in the EU.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

go figure

;)

My brother was looking into this dual citizenship thing also. Not sure how far he has gotten.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
wow

that's bizaro

:D

Which? That they can get citizenship there, or that moving to Europe offers a better life?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
yes

Which? That they can get citizenship there, or that moving to Europe offers a better life?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know why we should think 'differently' about EU natives and their offspring being citizens of the whole EU. The 'United States' were until some 240 years ago, separate and distinct countries. With links to 'the old country', whether that was England, or Spain, or Mexico, then with a war to declare and earn our independence from those places and join a 'United' America. Someone born and raised (or naturalized) in Kansas is just as American as someone from Maryland.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic of someone being more American than others, I was on the receiving end of some pretty bad treatment for having Italian heritage. My great grandparents arrived in the 1870’s so that made me less American. Both my sister and I got some bad treatment from our mother in laws and many otherswith digs about our heritage.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Have you been to Italy? The quality of life there is excellent, in large part. It’s no surprise to me that some want to move there from America. I’ll be visiting Italy again in just a few weeks and looking forward to it. If I was eligible for Italian citizenship, I’d grab it. Why not? The ability to live and work anywhere in the EU is an advantage.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Have you been to Italy? The quality of life there is excellent, in large part. It’s no surprise to me that some want to move there from America. I’ll be visiting Italy again in just a few weeks and looking forward to it. If I was eligible for Italian citizenship, I’d grab it. Why not? The ability to live and work anywhere in the EU is an advantage.

Pretty much what the CBS Sunday Morning story said.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wish I had. My niece graduated from vassar and went to Italy the same day and has lived there ever since. My sisters and their husbands have gone almost yearly and my niece is their guide and interpreter. My husband always refused

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was born in Italy. I became a US Citizen many, many years ago. I probably could have and should have kept my Italian passport. I have my birth certificate of course. Perhaps I should/need to apply for dual citizenship? I assume I am still a citizen of Italy also? Perhaps a trip to the consulate or a call to them someday. Inquiring minds want to know :)

It's not that important. As much as I love Italy and miss it, I doubt I would ever live there again. I would not leave my kids/grandchildren. I still have a few relatives (aunts/cousins) there.

I would love to spend a summer month there every other year or so.

Many still take their afternoon naps/close shop. Month of August - they are all "off" - at least where hubby and I come from (different towns). They seem very less stressed for sure.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

In my 34 yr military career, our three years in Vicenza, Italy was by far the best. The people were warm and friendly. They were all about family. You didn’t touch your child in public or you would bring down the wrath of all those around you. [redacted] I’ve been in many countries in my life and in most I’ve been treated very well. We used to be that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I was born in Italy. I became a US Citizen many, many years ago. I probably could have and should have kept my Italian passport. I have my birth certificate of course. Perhaps I should/need to apply for dual citizenship? I assume I am still a citizen of Italy also? Perhaps a trip to the consulate or a call to them someday. Inquiring minds want to know :)

It's not that important. As much as I love Italy and miss it, I doubt I would ever live there again. I would not leave my kids/grandchildren. I still have a few relatives (aunts/cousins) there.

I would love to spend a summer month there every other year or so.

Many still take their afternoon naps/close shop. Month of August - they are all "off" - at least where hubby and I come from (different towns). They seem very less stressed for sure.

AnnaS, you are almost assuredly still an Italian citizen, and your children and maybe grandchildren probably qualify too.

One reason this is important nowadays is that the unmanageable cost of health insurance prevents retirement before age 65, and particularly in the 60-65 age band. Citizenship in any EU country permits you to live, and work if you want, in any of them. There are lots of places in the EU where living costs are no more than in the US, health care is free or cheap, and other benefits abound.

If my Irish grandmother had had the foresight to have been born in Ireland, I'd qualify. Unfortunately, she somehow managed to be born in France, and France's deal is not as good as Ireland's.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I had Irish born grandparents and I qualify, but haven’t looked into dual citizenship yet.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
AnnaS, you are almost assuredly still an Italian citizen, and your children and maybe grandchildren probably qualify too.

One reason this is important nowadays is that the unmanageable cost of health insurance prevents retirement before age 65, and particularly in the 60-65 age band. Citizenship in any EU country permits you to live, and work if you want, in any of them. There are lots of places in the EU where living costs are no more than in the US, health care is free or cheap, and other benefits abound.

If my Irish grandmother had had the foresight to have been born in Ireland, I'd qualify. Unfortunately, she somehow managed to be born in France, and France's deal is not as good as Ireland's.

I am sure I am, just not sure if I need any proper paperwork again (passport - I do have my birth certificate which is probably all I would need if I was to go and live there).

You bring up a good point, if anything happens to my husband before I reach 65, I will be without medical benefits. I could always go live in Italy until I reached that age if it was absolutely necessary.......It's always an option.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
. . . if anything happens to my husband before I reach 65, I will be without medical benefits. . .

Ah . . . if everyone could just be 65 or older, and get that decent medical coverage!

;)

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sisters needed a lot of paperwork and had to have my father’s birth certificate changed as his marriage certificate did not have a middle name and took precedence over his birth certificate

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
My wife’s father was born in Italy and my great grandparents were. Maybe I should check it out.