• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort Maps with view legend? For MOW and HHI resorts...

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thought I saw a screenshot recently here on TUG of the MOW resorts with building views marked but cant find it now... was extremely disappointed last week for second time with MOW Ocean front room assignment (DC points used, not discounted, we are Presidential, not that that helped)...will never book OF at this resort again, poor value for points IMHO, but do like the resort and wondered about other room/view assignments (ocean side and ocean view). Also interested in resort map and view legends for the ocean front HHI resorts for future reference/booking as well...Thanks in advance for any information!
Vicki

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Oceanfront at MOW are the end units in the Conch and Scallop bldg and all of the Starfish bldg. We are not points members but I would surely not waste points on a unit in the Starfish bldg. We stayed in the Starfish a couple of weeks ago and just weren’t thrilled.

We much prefer what we own, Oceanside view. These are the rest of the Conch and Scallop units.

Oceanview are in the back two bldgs, Maple and Pine. Only units above I believe the 7th floor are considered Oceanview and the rest are considered Gardenview.

If being close to the ocean is a priority, I think it’s a crap shoot. I would love the units on the end of the Conch and Scallop but I’m not sure you can designate that in the points program.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thought I saw a screenshot recently here on TUG of the MOW resorts with building views marked but cant find it now... was extremely disappointed last week for second time with MOW Ocean front room assignment (DC points used, not discounted, we are Presidential, not that that helped)...will never book OF at this resort again, poor value for points IMHO, but do like the resort and wondered about other room/view assignments (ocean side and ocean view). Also interested in resort map and view legends for the ocean front HHI resorts for future reference/booking as well...Thanks in advance for any information!
Vicki
Given the resorts either assign DC the same as an II Marriott exchanger, or at best above exchangers but after owners using their week, one needs to understand the worst case scenario. They also give priority to those with concurrent or consecutive weeks. OF tends to be a higher % of direct owner usage so the odds are worse with OF as a rule.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Given the resorts either assign DC the same as an II Marriott exchanger, or at best above exchangers but after owners using their week, one needs to understand the worst case scenario. They also give priority to those with concurrent or consecutive weeks. OF tends to be a higher % of direct owner usage so the odds are worse with OF as a rule.

Then Marriott should NOT require higher numbers of points for an oceanfront unit if you’re not getting an ocean front unit.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Maps with unit legends haven't been released by Marriott for all of the resorts, but Dioxide has compiled what is available in Posts 55 and 56 here.

~~~ For SurfWatch:

- Ocean Dunes-56XX building is "Oceanvista"
- Tidemark-55XX building is "Oceanside"
- the units in Ocean Marsh-51XX that are oriented to the pool are "Oceanside"
- the units in Ocean Marsh-51XX that are oriented to the lagoon are "Gardenview"
- Sea Cove-53XX and Sea Dunes-54XX buildings are "Gardenview"
- The former Sales Gallery space in the Main House building has been refurbed to 2BR "Gardenview" units. I don't know the name they're now using for that building but am guessing that it's number 52XX.

In the Marriott reservation system, Gardenview at SurfWatch = "Gardenview," Oceanside = "Courtyard View," and Oceanvista = "Close To Ocean."

~~~ For Barony Beach Club:

- Jasmine-92XX and Gardenia-91XX buildings are "Gardenview"
- Live Oak-95XX and Bayberry-93XX buildings are "Oceanside"
- the units in Sea Oat-96XX and Morning Glory-94XX that directly face the ocean are "Oceanfront"
- the units in Sea Oat-96XX and Morning Glory-94XX that are oriented to the interior are "Oceanside"

In the Marriott reservation system, Gardenview at Barony = "Gardenview," Oceanside = "Courtyard View," and Oceanfront = "Ocean Front."

~~~ For Grande Ocean:

If you draw a horizontal line across the map at the bottom of the Sea Horse-84XX and Sand Castle-85XX buildings, all units above the line are "Oceanfront" and all units below are "Oceanside."

In the Marriott reservation system, Oceanfront at Grande Ocean = "Close To Ocean" and Oceanside = "Courtyard View."

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Then Marriott should NOT require higher numbers of points for an oceanfront unit if you’re not getting an ocean front unit.

DC Points requirements are based on the unit/view types that were legally designated at the resorts' developments, and that correlate to how the Weeks were originally sold. It's always caused some confusion that the legal designations are more indicators of where the unit is placed in relation to the overall footprint, less the actual view you'll see out the window of any particular unit. That's why in the Marriott reservation system, they use descriptors that are less likely to cause confusion for the benefit of those who aren't aware of the legal designations.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
For my money, that is the single biggest problem with using points--you're always going to be treated like second class compared to weeks owners. You may have better luck with the newer resorts that are mostly trust points.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
For my money, that is the single biggest problem with using points--you're always going to be treated like second class compared to weeks owners. You may have better luck with the newer resorts that are mostly trust points.
I have always gotten great room assignments with my DC points. I think time stamp has a lot to do with room assignment so booking as soon as your applicable booking window (13 or 12 months) opens is huge.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
So just to clarify, while i did request either Scallop or Conch building, I wasnt aware that the end units in Starfish were also considered Ocean Front and would not have wasted points on Ocean Front if I had known that we could end up in one of these... These end/side units have SMALL balconies and ours overlooked the Marriott Hotel front entrance as well as the Ocean Side balconies in Conch (only partially faced Ocean). Whats more, the second, larger back bedroom (not the Master) overlooked the MOW front parking area and the Woodsy pool. The Master had a small, ocean front window. We couldnt have been more disappointed and will never waste points on ocean front there again. We have paid the points differential for OF at many other resorts and have never been disappointed; always felt the value was there, but not this time. (Thus this thread, wondering about maps specifying views...)

Thanks again for responses.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
So just to clarify, while i did request either Scallop or Conch building, I wasnt aware that the end units in Starfish were also considered Ocean Front and would not have wasted points on Ocean Front if I had known that we could end up in one of these... These end/side units have SMALL balconies and ours overlooked the Marriott Hotel front entrance as well as the Ocean Side balconies in Conch (only partially faced Ocean). Whats more, the second, larger back bedroom (not the Master) overlooked the MOW front parking area and the Woodsy pool. The Master had a small, ocean front window. We couldnt have been more disappointed and will never waste points on ocean front there again. We have paid the points differential for OF at many other resorts and have never been disappointed; always felt the value was there, but not this time. (Thus this thread, wondering about maps specifying views...)

I would be disappointed too.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have always gotten great room assignments with my DC points. I think time stamp has a lot to do with room assignment so booking as soon as your applicable booking window (13 or 12 months) opens is huge.

Us too, but then again I'm used to tempering placement expectations because of owning at resorts where owners are rotated from visit-to-visit among the "best" and "worst" and everything in-between among all units that conform to the unit/view-type owned. I like this system because it gives every owner at least a fighting chance of occasionally being placed in the "best" units, and single-Week owners aren't always relegated to come in second to multi-Week owners. But I know many TUGgers disagree with this system.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree if it's not a legally designated OF unit but views vary. I would suggest that with timeshares view designations are by physical location not actual view from a given unit. I would disagree if one got an OF unit but the view were less than ideal.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacatio...NT_4th_of_July_Week_Sat_to_Sat-Myrtle_Be.html
Pic 12 of 12 is what you are likely looking for. I think the one available for Surf Club is one of the best style's I've seen, but haven't seen one like that for MOW. Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm going to check my November weekend stay now, because I think I booked OF, but if so, will switch to OS if available.
We were there through the 9th.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

We were on the exact opposite end unit from you. We had the kiddie playground next to us 6 floors down and it got really loud during the day sometimes. One of the first things I told my family was that I far preferred our Oceanside units. But, this last stay was on an II exchange so overall we were happy. The worst view we’ve ever had Oceanside is when we were on the side facing the owners club and even then we had a great view of the beach. To us the best Oceanside units are the ones on the Marriott hotel side. Great beach view and hotel pool view. Not a super fan of the poolside views only because of the noise.