• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite Marriott in Hilton Head SC

Robin G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for input on favorite Marriott resorts in Hilton Head SC .
Trying to narrow down where we want to stay.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
A search is also a good idea - there have been a lot of threads on this topic...

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
1. Surfwatch
2. Surfwatch
3. Barony
4. Grande Ocean

The OP should note though that if being close to the water/sand is important, most of Surfwatch is set back a lot farther from the beach, whereas Grande Ocean and Barony are both right behind the dune line.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP should note though that if being close to the water/sand is important, most of Surfwatch is set back a lot farther from the beach, whereas Grande Ocean and Barony are both right behind the dune line.

I know but I am pretty sure that ranking is accurate. ;)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Grande Ocean & SurfWatch
3. Barony
4. Harbor Club @ Sea Pines Plantation

Robin G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion ps. I do want to be on the beach. I see Barony for the week I want so I’ll probably book it.
Thanks

Reactions: jme

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for input on favorite Marriott resorts in Hilton Head SC .
Trying to narrow down where we want to stay.
For us personally it's GO, SW then Barony. From a resort only standpoint this is the case for us plus we much prefer the GO location. Looking at rental prices GO would seem to be the top there as well. If one is exchanging in this order is even more important IMO due to the location of the garden view units for Barony.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are the parameters that are important when making this choice, but I'm not going to try to argue which is more important since I'm different than others in what I value.

1. Foot print of the resort in terms of size and proximity to the ocean
2. Location on the island in terms of being close to a lot of activity/shops/restaurants.....or not
3. Villa interior
4. Other views (not ocean views) if that matters
5. Golf included

Here's my take:
Grande Ocean - big foot print, on the ocean, can walk/bike to many shops and restaurant, free Seapines pass for car and bike, villas somewhat dated, interesting interior views, no golf
Barony - smaller foot print, on the ocean, garden view across a parking lot, restaurant at the Westin or Port Royal golf club, no shops nearby, in residential community, villas are awesome, other views okay, no golf
Surfwatch - huge foot print, ocean access, but nothing is really close to the sand, like Barony, in a residential area, no shops and restaurants really close, nice and big villas, interesting views, no golf
Monarch - small footprint on ocean, next to good restaurant, bike to Harbor Town and other shops and restaurants, very busy/crowded area in summer, villas are old, but updated, no interesting views, no golf
Harbor Club - in Harbor Town, near many restaurants and shops, summer trolley to beach club, big villas, good refurb, but nothing fancy, some units have awesome views of the sound, no golf
Heritage Club - very small footprint next to other condos, across from golf club at Harbor Town, walking distance to shops and restaurants, units updated, but small, views are non existent, golf included
Harbor Point/Sunset Point - small footprint, in area with other condos, walking distance to grocery stores, shops, restaurants, some have great views of the sound, units are all different sizes, some very small, no golf

What I find crazy is that the amount of Vacation Club points swings wildly with these properties. GO, Barony, Surfwatch are so much more than Monarch, and then the two in Harbor Town are much less and the ones on Broad Creek are very much less still. Great bargains can be had in the off season with Harbor/Sunset when you don't care about the beach so much. Same with the ones in Harbor Town.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer the locations of Surfwatch, Barony, and the Points because they are further North on the island. I don't have to pay the toll every time I want to go to Blufton or the Mainland.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Monarch - small footprint on ocean, next to good restaurant, bike to Harbor Town and other shops and restaurants, very busy/crowded area in summer, villas are old, but updated, no interesting views, no golf.

I suspect that this means no free golf. Last time I was at Monarch there were two golf courses right across the street...

George

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I suspect that this means no free golf. Last time I was at Monarch there were two golf courses right across the street...

George

Heritage Club has always been the only HHI resort that offers free golf for owners and exchangers; it's something that's a line item in their MF's. At all seven of the other resorts, though, there are discount golf fees available at various local on-and-off-island courses. The pre-arrival email should make mention of this but if not, contact the resort directly before arriving or talk with the concierge when you get there.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Heritage Club has always been the only HHI resort that offers free golf for owners and exchangers; it's something that's a line item in their MF's. At all seven of the other resorts, though, there are discount golf fees available at various local on-and-off-island courses. The pre-arrival email should make mention of this but if not, contact the resort directly before arriving or talk with the concierge when you get there.
True though I believe GO had a golf inclusion early in their sales that effectively provided free or very reduced golf options.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are golf courses everywhere.....yes I meant golf included in the exchange or points redemption

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Thanks for the suggestion ps. I do want to be on the beach. I see Barony for the week I want so I’ll probably book it.
Thanks
If you are doing an Interval exchange, your unit at Barony will not be on the beach but in the "garden view" which is in the 2 buildings behind the Westin. The Westin is directly oceanfront.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Do you have small children traveling with you? The pool near the Barony garden units has the nicest/coolest pool for small kids! The pool is zero entry with water features and a water slide.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are doing an Interval exchange, your unit at Barony will not be on the beach but in the "garden view" which is in the 2 buildings behind the Westin. The Westin is directly oceanfront.

Not necessarily. We had an exchange into Barony and were placed in one of the courtyard buildings. We took it but we still prefer the garden villas. The units are slightly larger and as the above poster stated, the zero entry slide pool/splash pad is a big hit with kids!

Reactions: jme

Robin G

TUG Member
Reaction score
No kids...3 adults.

So there will be a building in front of us? Is it a short walk to the beach ?

Robin G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should pick ....I’d like to see the beach from my balcony. How far from the resort is the ocean....like is as if it’s oceanfront

I did just look at the Barony map.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Here's the best view:
https://goo.gl/maps/ku9oYbsGa3GzKZsr9

(ZOOM IT IN by using the + arrow at bottom right)
https://goo.gl/maps/MirKh6oQATDzRRvL7

Garden Villas are located "behind" the Westin Hotel....the "blue-roofed buildings"
above the Westin in photo.
It is true that the Garden Villas are slightly larger....the walk to the beach is slightly more distant, but still easy.
Most HH villas outside the Marriott family have much longer walks, or drives.

Last edited:

Robin G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the best view:
https://goo.gl/maps/ku9oYbsGa3GzKZsr9

(ZOOM IT IN by using the + arrow at bottom right)
https://goo.gl/maps/MirKh6oQATDzRRvL7

Garden Villas are located "behind" the Westin Hotel....the "blue-roofed buildings"
above the Westin in photo.
It is true that the Garden Villas are slightly larger....the walk to the beach is slightly more distant, but still easy.
Most HH villas outside the Marriott family have much longer walks, or drives.

So it’s not even close to the main resort? Store, restaurant and check in area?

Robin G

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do see a week at Grand Ocean.. I see building spread out bit it seems easy access to the entire resort . So between Barony or GO what one will have the more ocean feel ?

Last edited: