• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MP Nuevo or Puerto Vallarta

Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta or Puerto Vallarta

• Total voters

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have owned our 2BR Mayan Palace since 2001. Since that time, other than one trip to Acapulco, we have only vacationed at the MP Riviera Maya. This fall, we're looking at going to either Nuevo Vallarta or Puerto Vallarta.

As previously stated, we're still at the Mayan Palace level, as opposed to GM, GL, etc. (managed to avoid the upgrade spiels every time, hehe), so I'm wondering about how the two places compare at that level.

Any and all info is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, hive!!

Tom

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
IMHO, the two differ quite a bit in the vacation experience. In the Puerto Vallarta (really Marina Vallarta) MP you have incredibly easy access to get off the resort and take an inexpensive bus ride to downtown PV or elsewhere, though there are some simple walks to places in the marina area. If you go to Nuevo Vallarta, you'll be in the lowest tier on a giant resort; not much different than RM, but they've whittled down the MP level to a single building in NV and I've heard rumors that they'll be taking out half of the MP pool in NV to put something else in its place. At the MP level, I would prefer PV to NV, but it's a personal preference. There are a lot more restaurants on the resort in NV, but there are some nice and upscale ones in the vicinity of the PV MP as well, plus the ability to easily get to restaurants on the town as well.

@T-Dot-Traveller goes there a lot and can probably add more.

I'll be in PV at Buganvilias 11/2-9, then at GL NV starting the 9th. My wife will be staying for that whole week, but I've got to head back to work early the following week to pay for my timeshare habit....

rpennisi

Reaction score
Having been to RM, MP through GL a number of times, we prefer (even though the plane flights are much longer) to go to either the NV site or marina site.

At RM, there are a number of restaurants to choose from, but getting off site is a big hassle. This is more true today, as the resort has grown and the transportation system changed.

This is also true for NV for whichever level you choose, but we feel the walks are much shorter, and La Plaza attached to the MP is very convenient for shopping and restaurants. You can
walk off by way of the beach to the Sea Garden (about 10 minute walk) and get to a half dozen decent restaurants off site. You can also catch a tourist trolly or bus to go to the Paradise Village mall.
Very safe area, never a problem.

The Marina MP is also a good choice, we were there last January. This MP only has wifi in the lobby, has a small pool and beach in comparison to RM or NV. The big attraction for us is the marina which has many restaurants to choose from and buses that are right outside the building that can take you into PV or beyond.

Next January we are going to the MP in NV and the Buganvilias in PV. Going to the MP in NV vs marina was a toss up, either would be enjoyable.

We have been going to Vidanta and other Mexican resorts since 2002 (26 trips).

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My wife and I have owned our 2BR Mayan Palace since 2001. This fall, we're looking at going to either Nuevo Vallarta or Puerto Vallarta.
Tom

You could go to each for a week by splitting your 2 bedroom .

I would do the 1 bedroom in MP-PV Marina and the studio / hotel room in MP-NV (because of the diversity of onsite restaurants -so less need for a kitchenette .)

FYI - never upgrade - your contract has a registered week that is good until 2026 - and than renews as a registered week .

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We used to own 4 MP weeks and have been to all but the NV one. The one time we made reservations they had just opened the GM and upgraded us to a unit there. We like the PV Marina one a lot - especially the older building that is perpendicular to the ocean - they are configured a little differently. If you have a 1-bedroom there, you may be lucky enough to get one of the ones that is basically ocean-front. The downside to those uints is that it is over the restaurant and nightclub so it is noisy at night with the windows open. Like the others have said it is a great location. The bus into the city runs right by the resort and there are lots of fun restaurants in the Marina.

Mike (hubby) has commented that we should use one of our GL weeks for 2 weeks at the Marina MP once our Sr. Certs kick in. :) We can split GL 2-bedroom into a 1 bedroom AND 2 bedroom at any of the lower level resorts. MP Marina would be our only MP that we would choose - we would choose Grand Bliss or Grand Mayan otherwise.

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could go to each for a week by splitting your 2 bedroom .

I would do the 1 bedroom in MP-PV Marina and the studio / hotel room in MP-NV (because of the diversity of onsite restaurants -so less need for a kitchenette .)

FYI - never upgrade - your contract has a registered week that is good until 2026 - and than renews
as a registered week .

Thanks, T-Dot. We have done that in the past (split our 2BR) (or used our Vacation Fair week), but my wife only has one week off this fall.

For the first few years, we attended the "owner's update", but now, they don't offer enough in return for us to sit for a few hours and get belittled, haha. We are pretty good at holding them to the 90 minutes, but still, not worth it.

We are torn about what to do in 2026. Our contract renews for another 25 years at the 5x maintenance fee. We are thinking at that point that we'll just say "thanks, it's been a good run, but we won't renew", and become renters at that point. :)

rpennisi

Reaction score
Are you sure about the 5X MF to renew in 2026? If your contract is from 2001, I think the renewal is one MF. 5X MF to renew began later, either 2003 or 2004.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
All of our MP & GM units had the 5 MF fee to renew for another 25 years. Every 5 years we had the 1 year reno fee. Knowing them, you might as well plan to have 6 MF for when you renew - 5 for the renewal and 1 for the reno.

Our GL that we rolled 4 MP weeks and 2 GM weeks into 2 2-bedroom weeks for has the 10 year renewal that is basically the cost of 1 MF and no 5 year reno fees. Every year we had at least one reno fee due. :( We do have to pay the renewal fee to keep our Sr. Certs, so we plan to do that in 2023. After that, probably not as we will be 86 & 88 when the next one comes up in2033. If the kids want to keep the GL, we will move it into their names at that time.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at both MP PV and NV. Which is better depends on personal preferences, IMHO. NV is better if what you want is a resort facility, with resort services and amenities. The beach is also better at NV, so if you want to spend time on the beach at the resort, having drinks and service, NV is the better location.

For ourselves, we enjoy getting out and around, spending time in town and doing non-resort activities. As noted above, PV is much easier for getting out and around. So for us, we far prefer PV to NV. NV is actually arranged (deliberately, no doubt) to make it hard for guests to leave the resort - they want guests to stay at the resort and spend money there instead of elsewhere.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We are torn about what to do in 2026. Our contract renews for another 25 years at the 5x maintenance fee. We are thinking at that point that we'll just say "thanks, it's been a good run, but we won't renew", and become renters at that point. :)

Both are good options to consider - and you have 6 years.

ALSO - because it is a 2001 contract , it can transfer to non-family for 1 MF .

In 2025 you could consider listing it on TUG and see if anyone wants it , and is willing to pay 1 MF to transfer and 5 to renew it for 25 years .

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I do recall someone posting that they were looking for a contract from 2001 or 2002 fairly recently because it also had the 3% limit on MF rises. I think you'd be able to pass it along when the time comes.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I was last week in a 1br gm nv, I heard all levels can use aquatic park (lazy river, pyramid slide, etc). Also taxis at gm and mp parking start at $110 pesos and gl start at $220 pesos.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, GM, MP and GL parking/taxi stand are common at NV; there isn't a difference in the cost for GL. There is a table with the set taxi fares for at least NV and RM in their iPhone app; if you have the app, click the info tab on the bottom right, scroll down to Taxi Fare under Guest Services and click that, then click the button labeled Taxi Fare and it will open a table with the current fares to selected locations in the area. If you look at that, you'll note that they don't distinguish between the levels.

There isn't anything in the app for PV, though. There, taxi fares are more negotiable - same as outside of the Sea Garden if you walk out from NV.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
You are right Eric, I made a mistake because one of my trips was to Bucerías and the return taxi was $130 pesos

rpennisi

Reaction score

In 2025 you could consider listing it on TUG and see if anyone wants it , and is willing to pay 1 MF to transfer and 5 to renew it for 25 years .

Thanks Tom. My mistake, I was thinking one MF for transferring ownership for a 2001 MP contract, but it's 5 MFs to renew.

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was mistaken. It's a 2002 contract, because we were in Mexico for our 20th anniversary. :) So our transfer is 10% of the contract price — so by then, it will probably be around $500 more than one maintenance fee.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They actually follow whatever is in a contract or addendum, but typically don’t include splitting in the standard contracts now. It’s a possibility, though, and they have been willing to negotiate it.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
They actually follow whatever is in a contract or addendum, but typically don’t include splitting in the standard contracts now. It’s a possibility, though, and they have been willing to negotiate it.
It seems that lately people are saying that you can split into consecutive weeks but not 1 at one time and another at a different time. There is a big discussion going on the facebook Vidanta Owners group right now.

On our contract, our 2 2-beroom units are listed as a Suite and a Master Room - so we have 4. But, then under those is the statement about the MF for each side and those total to a larger amount, but it says that if you use the Master Suite, there is a different price that is lower. :) But, when I called about a reservation in RM several years ago, the person told me that I could split the 2-bedroom into 2 weeks for the same price and stay one week in the Master Room side and the next week in the Suite side for the same price as the Master Suite.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It seems that lately people are saying that you can split into consecutive weeks but not 1 at one time and another at a different time. There is a big discussion going on the facebook Vidanta Owners group right now.

On our contract, our 2 2-beroom units are listed as a Suite and a Master Room - so we have 4. But, then under those is the statement about the MF for each side and those total to a larger amount, but it says that if you use the Master Suite, there is a different price that is lower. :) But, when I called about a reservation in RM several years ago, the person told me that I could split the 2-bedroom into 2 weeks for the same price and stay one week in the Master Room side and the next week in the Suite side for the same price as the Master Suite.

I’ve run into a few people that have that type of splitting provision - one fellow told me that let him book 3 weeks in a GL suite/master room using and paying for one 3 BR loft week. He was one of the initial buyers at that level, though, and has that specified in his contract/addendum.

No idea about the consecutive week one. The addendum I got doesn’t use the word consecutive, so I’d be arguing about it if it were me. Kind of think that when I have enough vacation time to use it, I’ll be doing so for consecutive weeks anyway.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
There are also Mayan Palace contracts with split week addendums . These seem to have been sold In Puerto Pennasco / Rocky Point . THey allow you to split 3 days / 4 days - and have 2 long weekends . It was probably used to close quite a few sales to Arizona residents that could drive there in about 4 hours .

I was also once told by a staff member - that there were Mexican National contracts that allowed the same style usage (3/4 ) and were used by folks in Guadalajara who were within driving distance of Puerto Vallarta .

When we bought in 2006 - the ability to split a 2 bedroom into 2 weeks of usage was definitely used by sales as a feature benefit to attempt upgrade the sale from a 1 bedroom.

Last edited: