• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unhappy with BMW birthday gift, 22-year-old pushes car into river

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
While we're sharing... My first car was a gold 1972 Gran Torino Sport, and I was very appreciative that my parents bought it for me. This was the only picture I found with the right color. Mine was in better shape, but being up in MN and the liberal use of salt on the roads, it did have some rust spots coming through. Fun car that I drove in HS and first couple years of college.

1972-Ford-Gran-Torino-e1507221925981-630x355.jpg

Kurt

Did you perform any stunt jumps in that car? Reminds me of a 70s TV show...

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted a four door stick shift in 1977, when I graduated from college. I ended up with a 1973 two door automatic Chevy Vega. Paid $1,000 cash for my very first car (caught rides when I came home for a weekend, or drove my parents' car before that). Probably overpaid but in our small town we didn't have much selection.
upload_2019-8-15_16-16-46.jpeg
It worked out fine. Just a hassle if anyone sat in the back, which wasn't very often.

Reactions: RX8

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Ford seems to have reverse the Ranger's death .... they are reviving the RANGER ... but I bet it will just not be as small as mine.

Ford has already revived the Ranger and they are on dealer lots. You are correct, they are definitely larger and more upscale than the old Ranger. It also comes in a crew cab (4 doors), something the old Ranger didn’t offer.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Did you perform any stunt jumps in that car? Reminds me of a 70s TV show...
Ha! The Starsky and Hutch car was a later model ('75 or '76) Gran Torino. The biggest difference was the addition of the 5mph bumper that was a federal mandate. If you look at mine, that big, bad chrome bumper was directly bolted to the frame!

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
When I met my wife I’m 1995, she was driving a 1984 Chevette. I actually liked the car. I could work on it without the need of a mechanic. She bought the car for $350 and sold it 3 years later for $450. The guy that bought was an engineer and he drove it back and forth from Detroit to Toronto. It finally died when the frame bent and almost broke. He tied the seat belt around the frame and drove it home.
upload_2019-8-15_17-11-52.jpeg

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
CC-178-034-1200.jpg

My cool ride 1971-1973. :) Looked exactly like this picture.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I sense a what was your first car thread brewing. A red 59 chevy impala ragtop with cherry bomb mufflers, all show no go 283. It was rearended so one side was hammered out and the other was primered sheet metal. Dad paid $125 in 1971.

At one time it would have looked like this.

481524923e91c118aab20cd883366a03.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That is one fine automobile!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
View attachment 13421

My gremlin would have looked something like this, including the fabulous purple color, but less the cool wheels and stripe. Those doors were the worst and wouldn’t open most of the time. I don’t know how many times I had to crawl through the back hatch to get into the car.

That hurts to look at! :eek:

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
1963 baby blue Plymouth Belvedere, purchased in 1970. Only had 39k miles on it. "Three on the tree." But the shift linkage was loose, so the first time I drove it on my own, it got stuck in 1st gear and couldn't shift out of it. Drove it 5 miles home in 1st. Dad took a look, tightened a couple of nuts, and it was good to go. I swear that slant-6 engine would run forever.

1963-Plymouth-Belvedere-front-left-32706508.jpg

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I congratulate RX8 for a more interesting thread than the "welding soap bars together." :) When my second wife and I met she was driving a 1973 Vega. She warped the block when she took out the radiator on a "hidden" curb. She graduated to a 1976 red Chevette, which she thought was cool. :rolleyes: Then, she thought a Yugo might be a good choice for only $3995. When we married in 1980 - I said, "Let me pick out the cars." It has worked so far.....:thumbup:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I congratulate RX8 for a more interesting thread than the "welding soap bars together." :)

Were you expecting a thread on kitchen sponges? :)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
While we're sharing... My first car was a gold 1972 Gran Torino Sport, and I was very appreciative that my parents bought it for me. This was the only picture I found with the right color. Mine was in better shape, but being up in MN and the liberal use of salt on the roads, it did have some rust spots coming through. Fun car that I drove in HS and first couple years of college.

1972-Ford-Gran-Torino-e1507221925981-630x355.jpg

Kurt

Kind of looks like the Starsky and Hutch car in yellow. My friends dad bought him one of these Torino's. It was pretty fast.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Then, she thought a Yugo might be a good choice for only $3995.
Reminds me of an old joke:

A guy walks into an auto part store, and asks the guy behind the parts counter, "Can I get a gas cap for a Yugo?" The parts guy thinks for a bit, scratches his head and replies, "Yep. I reckon that's a pretty fair trade." :D

Kurt

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Reminds me of an old joke:

A guy walks into an auto part store, and asks the guy behind the parts counter, "Can I get a gas cap for a Yugo?" The parts guy thinks for a bit, scratches his head and replies, "Yep. I reckon that's a pretty fair trade." :D

Kurt

And your joke reminds me of another joke:

Why do Yugos have rear window defrosters?
To keep your hands warm while pushing it.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
And your joke reminds me of another joke:

Why do Yugos have rear window defrosters?
To keep your hands warm while pushing it.

Did Yugos actually have rear window defrosters? And if so of course, the bigger question is: "Did they ever work?" :D:D:D

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
My last Yugo joke

Q. What do you call a Yugo with a flat tire?

A. Totaled.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 6th grade my dad taught me to drive our humongous green amc station wagon. My senior year in high school he let me drive our family’s second car, a Chevy Chevette. In college my sister lent me her Chevy Vega. None of the cars had a/c or working a/c. Yes we laughed about our junk cars, but it was SO much nicer than taking the bus—something I did for years.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
skylark.jpg

My first..1964 Buick Skylark Convertable....of course it didn't look like this...my 2 older brothers had it before me. I dropped a friend off at his house one time and his dad ran out and wanted to know if anyone was hurt in that accident.