• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading power Ocean Pointe Vs Beachplace

stive1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were to deposit a February week at one of these 2 properties would that week trade equally in II or do you think one of them would be a stronger trader....thanks.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were to deposit a February week at one of these 2 properties would that week trade equally in II or do you think one of them would be a stronger trader....thanks.
My view/guess is that II considers them to have the same trading power if they are the same week. Most likely first submitted, first matched

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beach Place used to definitely have higher trading power but I would have to do some tests to see if that is still the case. It is ironic because Beach Place is much easier to both reserve and exchange into during prime weeks vs Ocean Pointe.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel for February. I would give the edge to MBP because February is peak time for cruising in the sunshine state. Plus, FLL is a major cruise port on the East coast and in the US.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The TDI is the same. I compared VB to South FL for RCI and the option I looked at had a higher trading power for VB than S. FL, all week 7.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The TDI is the same. I compared VB to South FL for RCI and the option I looked at had a higher trading power for VB than S. FL, all week 7.

It’s the same II TDI chart for every resort, including the worst ones. TDI is regional and not resort based.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
It’s the same II TDI chart for every resort, including the worst ones. TDI is regional and not resort based.

This is what I don't understand about II, how do you determine the trading power of one resort vs. another, if they have the same TDI? Resort rating?

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I don't understand about II, how do you determine the trading power of one resort vs. another, if they have the same TDI? Resort rating?
That is the proprietary information only known to II. We can only make an educated assumption that it is a combination of resort rating, TDI, and their internal exchange data on which resorts are in demand by exchangers, which we don't have access to. II also recommends that we deposit as early as possible for max trading power.

This is the reason that experienced exchangers book the most sought after weeks at their home resort to deposit early into II so that we can get the maximize priority when making exchanges.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done tests and TDI does not appear to be a part of II's trading power. It will almost always be reflective because it is meant to be a supply and demand index for a region but I have seen specific cases where a lower TDI week had more trading power then a higher TDI week. Another problem is some TDI charts are for a really wide region where one area does not have the same true TDI as the other. II seems to do this when there are not very many timeshares. For example Charleston SC is on the same TDI chart as Washington DC. They are 8 hours apart. There are many other examples. Another issue is the chart doesn't go high or low enough. TDI on HHI is 150+ from weeks 21-33 but which week is the highest? July 4 obviously but what about the ones around it? TDI is only a general guide for demand for a very top level view where someone doesn't really know anything else.

Trading power for II is a wild unknown and seems to change like the wind every couple years.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Can someone explain the difference between depositing your week and doing a vacation exchange search? What’s keep seeing messages “deposit you week early for higher trading power” when checking vacation exchange, it seems my Harborside at Atlantis pulls the same inventory as the small lockout one bedroom at vistana villages. I would have thought Atlantis resort has more “power” than Orlando

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
That is the proprietary information only known to II. We can only make an educated assumption that it is a combination of resort rating, TDI, and their internal exchange data on which resorts are in demand by exchangers, which we don't have access to. II also recommends that we deposit as early as possible for max trading power.

This is the reason that experienced exchangers book the most sought after weeks at their home resort to deposit early into II so that we can get the maximize priority when making exchanges.

So I have floating weeks in vistana villages. Am I supposed to reserve a week through vistana first then deposit? I’d think with so much inventory in Orlando, that it wouldn’t really make a difference? Is it better to book Christmas week then deposit? I’ve owned vistana for years and have never exchanged

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have floating weeks in vistana villages. Am I supposed to reserve a week through vistana first then deposit? I’d think with so much inventory in Orlando, that it wouldn’t really make a difference? Is it better to book Christmas week then deposit? I’ve owned vistana for years and have never exchanged

Yes. Unless you have a fixed week you need to make the reservation first and then go back to II online and do the deposit. Vistana can probably do it for you when you make the reservation but I prefer to have the confirmed reservation in hand and then do the deposit myself online. There is less room for human error that way.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between depositing your week and doing a vacation exchange search? What’s keep seeing messages “deposit you week early for higher trading power” when checking vacation exchange, it seems my Harborside at Atlantis pulls the same inventory as the small lockout one bedroom at vistana villages. I would have thought Atlantis resort has more “power” than Orlando

Depositing gives the reservation to II. They then can profit off of it immediately. The earlier they have the week the higher chances and the more they may make off it. If you wait until much closer to check in not only could you end up with a restricted deposit or exchange but the trading power will evaporate.

When you do an instant search it may seem like two units have the same trading power, especially if you are searching for a place like Orlando. It makes it easier to see a difference if you are searching for 12-13 months out for 2 or 3 bedroom units at a place that has availability but not so much that everything is wide open. Where trading power makes an even bigger difference is an ongoing search for something that may never hit instant inventory.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Depositing gives the reservation to II. They then can profit off of it immediately. The earlier they have the week the higher chances and the more they may make off it. If you wait until much closer to check in not only could you end up with a restricted deposit or exchange but the trading power will evaporate.

When you do an instant search it may seem like two units have the same trading power, especially if you are searching for a place like Orlando. It makes it easier to see a difference if you are searching for 12-13 months out for 2 or 3 bedroom units at a place that has availability but not so much that everything is wide open. Where trading power makes an even bigger difference is an ongoing search for something that may never hit instant inventory.
Ah ok, do I need to deposit to begin an ongoing search? So make a reservation, then deposit through vistana, would prob be better and ensure interval gets the good week.

I don’t expect Orlando to get me good trading power but who knows I guess. I could always rely on the whole vistana priority

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that Vistana floating weeks are chosen by Vistana for deposit and not by the exchanger. This is in contrast to Marriott weeks where you can have Marriott choose or you can choose. Experienced Marriott owners select the individual week and deposit it into II.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I believe that Vistana floating weeks are chosen by Vistana for deposit and not by the exchanger. This is in contrast to Marriott weeks where you can have Marriott choose or you can choose. Experienced Marriott owners select the individual week and deposit it into II.

Ok. So then I wouldn’t book a week, Just deposit the floating unit. Easy enough. It’s a matter of if I don’t want the star option usage. I appreciate the information.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Ok. So then I wouldn’t book a week, Just deposit the floating unit. Easy enough. It’s a matter of if I don’t want the star option usage. I appreciate the information.
With Vistana you don't make a reservation and your trading power is the same for a 2020 use year unit, if you deposit on January 1, 2019 or December 31, 2020. The only thing you are losing is the extra time to exchange in II because in both cases the deposits will expire December 2022.

The message about trading power and early deposits is a generic message and applies to 90% of owners but not Vistana owners except those who own true fixed weeks with no ability to float.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

II tends to do community trading and then rate separately the resort quality where RCI is somewhat more resort by resort. So the TDI is a better representation of any trade power for II than it would be for RCI. They generally don't set trade power by resort but they historically have limited trading to resorts of a similar quality range.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
So you are all saying that all things being equal and I want to pull a June 2021 Hawaii week Marriott to Marriott trade, I should deposit my 2020 week (2BR GV gold) and do a Request now? (that's what I did, by the way...just making sure the logic was right). I did it on the Marriott site and it picked the first week of May to deposit (week 18, I think - GV gold floats 18-21, 35-50). Or should I have waited until May 2020 and given it the full year?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So you are all saying that all things being equal and I want to pull a June 2021 Hawaii week Marriott to Marriott trade, I should deposit my 2020 week (2BR GV gold) and do a Request now? (that's what I did, by the way...just making sure the logic was right). I did it on the Marriott site and it picked the first week of May to deposit (week 18, I think - GV gold floats 18-21, 35-50). Or should I have waited until May 2020 and given it the full year?
That's what I would have done if the exchange were the only issue assuming you are trying for a 2 BR anyway. From what I can tell there's no different trading power 18 through 21 & those are the highest TDI weeks it appears of the Gold season. You may have to list 3 choices if you do it online though if you call they can do it with a single choice. I think I've been able to just put one choice when working with the corporate account but on my regular II account, it requires me to give 3 choices (different resorts or weeks). The only issue is that if you don't match or something happens, the deposit is only good for 2 years from the date of the week which could be important in some situations. Good luck, I'd say you have an excellent chance of success, esp if you have multiple weeks in June that'll work.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They generally don't set trade power by resort but they historically have limited trading to resorts of a similar quality range.

This is incorrect. It may look that way if all you have is Marriott units because they are all so similar in trading power but the trading power is definitely by resort. I can do a side by side comparison with two different 2BR units from the same TDI chart and one will very noticeably pull more units during higher demand seasons.

The quality range filter also only applies one direction. Higher quality resorts are completely blocked from trading into the lowest quality resorts on II, even for higher demand weeks. But the lowest quality resorts are not blocked at all from trading into high quality resorts. They are only limited by the resort trading power. II programmed the quality filter to prevent high quality owners from being unhappy about their exchange, so they had no need to apply it the other direction.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is incorrect. It may look that way if all you have is Marriott units because they are all so similar in trading power but the trading power is definitely by resort. I can do a side by side comparison with two different 2BR units from the same TDI chart and one will very noticeably pull more units during higher demand seasons.

The quality range filter also only applies one direction. Higher quality resorts are completely blocked from trading into the lowest quality resorts on II, even for higher demand weeks. But the lowest quality resorts are not blocked at all from trading into high quality resorts. They are only limited by the resort trading power. II programmed the quality filter to prevent high quality owners from being unhappy about their exchange, so they had no need to apply it the other direction.
My information is different, I think what you're seeing is likely related to the quality ratings not the actual trading power but it may give you the same result in the end.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My information is different, I think what you're seeing is likely related to the quality ratings not the actual trading power but it may give you the same result in the end.

The way you are referencing "quality" is resort trading power. It is one in the same. This is not to be confused with the quality filter that II has which is all or nothing. Either you can see available weeks at the resort or you can't. The entire resort will be blocked.

When you search and you see all the weeks at a high quality resort during shoulder season but only studio units during high season, but you see 2BR units with another resort in the same TDI area and using the exact same week and size, that is resort trading power.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The way you are referencing "quality" is resort trading power. It is one in the same. This is not to be confused with the quality filter that II has which is all or nothing. Either you can see available weeks at the resort or you can't. The entire resort will be blocked.

When you search and you see all the weeks at a high quality resort during shoulder season but only studio units during high season, but you see 2BR units with another resort in the same TDI area and using the exact same week and size, that is resort trading power.
My info is about 2 years old and suggests that the trade power and quality ratings are independent but work together. Yes in effect it is trade power but it is (or at least was) a different processes. The resort won't necessarily be blocked on resort quality, the reps can override it to trade down. But it also works both ways as you can't move up or down TOO much though as the time draws nearer, the restrictions are reduced.