• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott, Int'l BONVOY Changes Effective 9/14/19 [Merged]

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Thank you, Richard!

FlyerTalk is usually first to dissect Bonvoy changes and today is no exception, there are already a few threads on their Marriott/Marriott Bonvoy forum. No doubt TUGgers will catch up soon!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thank you Richard.

We knew changes were coming and I guess we shouldn’t be surprised that some of the changes will negatively impact members. I think I am most disappointed with the changes to the Points Advance program and the way the 5th night free program will work. I can understand the off peak and peak season changes, but the changes monthly seem to be very onerous for both Marriott and members.

I am sure this is going to make a number of up-to-now loyal members rethink their loyalty. We have already been using the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Freedom cards for our spending.

Time will tell.

Best regards.

Mike

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
As long as I get my one free night per year, I am good. I plan to use it to get a lower airfare from Maui. Sometimes it saves hundreds of dollars to book a hotel night and fly home a day later.

I need to book my stay at Ritz Carlton on Maui soon. Our trip is in February. That particular night will not qualify for the free night.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
These negative changes including draconian resort, parking, and cancellation fees make timeshares better economically compared to renting from the hotel. Will keep the cards for the free nights but have moved spend to CSR points. When that dies, will move to cash back cards. The days of generous loyalty points is dying so will use our points now to avoid future devaluations.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I wonder if every Friday and Saturday night will now be considered "Peak" and therefore now more expensive (in Reward points) to book like it is for those same nights at the Marriott Timeshare Resorts (using Destination Club Points).

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
These negative changes including draconian resort, parking, and cancellation fees make timeshares better economically compared to renting from the hotel. Will keep the cards for the free nights but have moved spend to CSR points. When that dies, will move to cash back cards. The days of generous loyalty points is dying so will use our points now to avoid future devaluations.
With devaluations becoming the norm, I am an "earn and burn" customer. Currently it is working for me to pay cash for flights and use the points for excursions and other extras. I wonder if we'll go back to writing checks someday, lol.

At any rate, companies earn my loyalty by treating me right. I don't care how many points you throw at me, when you burn me in the customer service area, we're done.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
When you become so big there is no need to be competitive. So why give away the house? Acquisitions are rarely good for the consumer. This is why people are iffy on the whole TS side of the business growing as well. This doesn’t surprise me in the lease bit. As a bonvoy gold elite, I’ve yet to see value in the program. I will most likely start to shift my business travel to Hilton or Hyatt.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Btw, I read the article and think that I understand most of it, but what about previously booked 5 night travel package? We're already booked at a place over New Years, so I would expect points pricing will now be different. Do anyone know if existing reservations will remain untouched since the category level will be the same?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
So I wonder if every Friday and Saturday night will now be considered "Peak" and therefore now more expensive (in Reward points) to book like it is for those same nights at the Marriott Timeshare Resorts (using Destination Club Points).

You bring up a good point. It was rarely beneficial to convert DC points to bonvoy according to many (I know it was never worth it to convert star options to bonvoy) this will only devalue it further. I guess that’s one perk that’s truly not a selling point.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Btw, I read the article and think that I understand most of it, but what about previously booked 5 night travel package? We're already booked at a place over New Years, so I would expect points pricing will now be different. Do anyone know if existing reservations will remain untouched since the category level will be the same?
I wouldn’t think so, if they charge more for a reservation already made please let me know. That’s the day I officially book Hilton for good. That would be terrible. But I would think it would be similar to anything else. If fares go up and you have a booking they don’t re adjust the fare to charge you more without you making any changes

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I wouldn’t think so, if they charge more for a reservation already made please let me know. That’s the day I officially book Hilton for good. That would be terrible. But I would think it would be similar to anything else. If fares go up and you have a booking they don’t re adjust the fare to charge you more without you making any changes
That sounds like it would be a nightmare to administer. You get a travel package in August 2019 for XXX,XXX points and then you don't book it until May 2020 for travel in January 2021. What the heck point in time do they use for what that XXX,XXX amount is? Or would they just ask you to adjust when you make the ressie? Good grief!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I have access to discounts across various hotel brands between my corporate and AAA discount. I am lifetime platinum and when I look at pricing, I look at proximity to where I am going and I include the value of breakfast and late checkout (if needed). To a lesser extent, I look at upgrade likelihood. The constant devaluation of the points, points hasn't been a motivating factor to me for a while. I still like getting points but it does not and will not change my behavior to make me any more or less loyal to Marriott. Things change and you adjust. It isn't personal and I do not take it that way.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have access to discounts across various hotel brands between of my corporate and AAA discount. I am lifetime platinum and when I look at pricing, I look at proximity to where I am going and I include the value of breakfast and late checkout (if needed). To a lesser extent, I look at upgrade likelihood. The constant devaluation of the points hasn't been a motivating factor to me for a while. I still like getting points but it does not and will not change my behavior to make me any more or less loyal to Marriott. Things change and you adjust. It isn't personal and I do not take it that way.
At least you get free breakfast. They took that away from Gold Elite

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
When you become so big there is no need to be competitive. So why give away the house? Acquisitions are rarely good for the consumer. This is why people are iffy on the whole TS side of the business growing as well. This doesn’t surprise me in the lease bit. As a bonvoy gold elite, I’ve yet to see value in the program. I will most likely start to shift my business travel to Hilton or Hyatt.

IMO...Marriott Int'l has an inflated view of what they offer and it is clear that they have limited control over the properties, and even their own programs as evidenced by number of #Bonvoyed customer stories

There are still many hotel alternatives out there and Marriott is rapidly becoming non-competitive. With Hilton I am a Diamond and I get free breakfasts and upgrades at ALL resorts - no questions asked, no hassles. They don't give me draconian 60 day cancellation fees, and if there is cancellation it is for one night. Will stay at Hyatt when I can and we are also elites and treated well. Just booked Intercontinental IHG with cancellation of 2 nights prior.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

My guess is that I believe you are okay because it was booked prior to September 14th.....

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
IMO...Marriott Int'l has an inflated view of what they offer and it is clear that they have limited control over the properties, and even their own programs as evidenced by number of #Bonvoyed customer stories

There are still many hotel alternatives out there and Marriott is rapidly becoming non-competitive. With Hilton I am a Diamond and I get free breakfasts and upgrades at ALL resorts - no questions asked, no hassles. They don't give me draconian 60 day cancellation fees, and if there is cancellation it is for one night. Will stay at Hyatt when I can and we are also elites and treated well. Just booked Intercontinental IHG with cancellation of 2 nights prior.
Again, it’s customary with Marriott and most companies when they get so big to do this. What incentive do they have to treat their customer right? More bonvoyed stories coming soon. This is why the vistana people are waiting/concerned for negative changes to come. Granted, VAC and Hotels are separate but it’s still the same family of execs. I’m going to remain optimistic that these bonvoy changes don’t get worse. I’ll also remain optimistic their cousins at MVC don’t follow their lead either lol.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
With devaluations becoming the norm, I am an "earn and burn" customer. Currently it is working for me to pay cash for flights and use the points for excursions and other extras. I wonder if we'll go back to writing checks someday, lol.

For Marriott Int'l we have moved from "Earn and Burn" to "No Earn. Just Burn and Bonvoy."

The $8000 cancellation threat from the property manager for using our hard earned SPG points put a very bad taste in my mouth and now I have no desire to deal with their inconsistent rules, and IT errors anymore.

Gold elite is worthless.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
At least you get free breakfast. They took that away from Gold Elite

The new Platinum was the old gold. The new gold wouldn't have gotten breakfast before the change. If I did not get breakfast (or concierge access),it would be in a pure location/price decision process.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The new Platinum was the old gold. The new gold wouldn't have gotten breakfast before the change. If I did not breakfast (or concierge access), I would be in a pure location/price decision process.
I was SPG Gold. Now I’m Gold Elite Bonvoy, the old program was better.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Unfortunately, most customer loyalty rewards programs have a fine print clause to effect that they may change the terms of their program at any time. This has happened before with both Marriott Rewards and Starwood prior to the BonVoy merger. I have been with HILTON Honors since 2001 and have experienced three major point devaluations since that time. There were also point devaluations when United Airlines bought out Continental Airlines. The email we received today from BonVoy was certainly discouraging despite the wording that attempts to disguise the devaluation as some kind of improvement.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was SPG Gold. Now I’m Gold Elite Bonvoy, the old program was better.

So, what l0410z was likely speaking of, given this is the MVCI forum not SPG, is owners get certain benefits based on their ownership level in MVCI. So, if your level in mvci previously gave you gold, they gave you platinum once the levels changed, which meant you lost nothing.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Shall we rename the points “Bonvoy Pesos?” When has point program changes ever been an “improvement?” There are always winners and losers. In these cases, the company is the winner, and the customer is the loser.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, most customer loyalty rewards programs have a fine print clause to effect that they may change the terms of their program at any time. This has happened before with both Marriott Rewards and Starwood prior to the BonVoy merger. I have been with HILTON Honors since 2001 and have experienced three major point devaluations since that time. There were also point devaluations when United Airlines bought out Continental Airlines. The email we received today from BonVoy was certainly discouraging despite the wording that attempts to disguise the devaluation as some kind of improvement.

..... and chances are very good that it will continue to be devalued over the next 20 years.

:wall: :crash: :shrug: :bawl: :eek: :confused: