• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alabama takes action on false service animals claims

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect there will be zero enforcement.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
A friend of mine who is a retired Navy nurse and then worked on contract for the Marines has a lot of knowledge about service animals, stuff I didn't know. She said in order to prove your animal is a service animal you can show their papers (which most people don't carry) and that the animal must be able to perform three tasks for their owners. "Comforts me" is not a task. She also said that even if the animal is a service animal, if it is misbehaving, it can be removed.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
fines are too low. People will still abuse it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why and how can a miniature horse be a service animal ? Can someone please explain this to me?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
A friend of mine who is a retired Navy nurse and then worked on contract for the Marines has a lot of knowledge about service animals, stuff I didn't know. She said in order to prove your animal is a service animal you can show their papers (which most people don't carry) and that the animal must be able to perform three tasks for their owners. "Comforts me" is not a task. She also said that even if the animal is a service animal, if it is misbehaving, it can be removed.

What tasks? Three random tasks like sit, lie down and shake? Or is it more complex tasks like go get the paper and make me a martini? :)

Edited: Never mind, I should have read the article first as it says “animals must be trained to perform a specific task that benefits a person with disabilities.”

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Why and how can a miniature horse be a service animal ? Can someone please explain this to me?

Why this is simple in the same way a peacock or rat is.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, for sharing that link about the Benefits of a service miniature horse.

A service miniature horse is truly an animal trained for a person with a disability.
There is no doubt or questions about their training. IMO.

Thanks you.

I feel everyone needs to read that link.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
The main plus is lifespan. Mini can live 35 years. The equivalent of 2 to 3 dog lifetimes.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Miniature horses can be trained as guides to the blind the same way dogs can and also can help pull wheelchair bound and for balance with those with mobility issues.
They are more expensive to train than dogs but they live longer and they don't shed which can be important for those with allergies to dogs.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Interesting. I had no idea that miniature horses could be easily housebroken.

I think part of the problem is the huge gray zone between service animals (perform tasks for a disabled human) and comfort animals (owner feels less anxious/stressed with them around). Service animals have, by definition, been trained. The comfort provided by comfort animals is more a result of their nature.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Interesting. I had no idea that miniature horses could be easily housebroken.

I think part of the problem is the huge gray zone between service animals (perform tasks for a disabled human) and comfort animals (owner feels less anxious/stressed with them around). Service animals have, by definition, been trained. The comfort provided by comfort animals is more a result of their nature.
Part of the distinction is that service animals must provide a service/task, in fact three. Providing comfort is not a service/task.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Providing comfort is not a service/task
Exactly. Comfort is more like a side effect.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Part of the distinction is that service animals must provide a service/task, in fact three. Providing comfort is not a service/task.
They must also be trained. How do you train a comfort animal? That is what pets are, they are there for comfort and companionship.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is really strange the state of Alabama is taken this legal action ?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I've been on fourteen hour flights. Can mini-horses (or dogs) be trained not to poop for fourteen hours?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I've been on fourteen hour flights. Can mini-horses (or dogs) be trained not to poop for fourteen hours?
I don't think house broken means they can go extended periods without pooping. I am sure they are trained to go in a small bucket that can be emptied into the toilet when they don't have access to another alternative and have ways of alerting their owner if they need it.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Most qualified service animals can hold their needs for hours as they are trained to do.

Before boarding the plane, search for the nearest animal relief area. Most airports have one.
https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/AirTravel_with_ServiceAnimals-TriFold.pdf

Also, "For a flight that is scheduled for eight hours or longer, airlines may require documentation stating that your animal will not need to relieve itself, or can do so in a sanitary way."
https://www.transportation.gov/indi...e-animals-including-emotional-support-animals

What documentation that would be, I have no idea. :shrug:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
What is really strange the state of Alabama is taken this legal action ?

Okay...this makes me curious......

Why do you find this strange, Pedro?