• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Presidential Status - Banking Deadline - Saved me this time

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Normally I have all of my points booked out for the current year and the following year. I'm usually strategic in my planning in that current year points are used for reservations that we will definitely use and the future year points are booked on trips that we may cancel. We had planned Grand Chateau in a 3BR with my parents for Thanksgiving. If it was a 2BR, I would have booked within 60 days for the discount but the 3BR's tend to disappear.

Well, my parents call me up and tell me that they're planning on a cruise for 11/10-11/22. Our Grand Chateau trip starts 11/26. Being a little more senior (84yo), my parents don't understand the timeshare stuff and the timelines. Essentially they were telling me that they were cancelling on me and won't be able to make it. We book Vegas as a half way point for my parents to come see the grand kids.

Fortunately, I'm 3 months out so the points go back to my normal usage. But I have nothing else left to book for the year. No point in us going to Vegas without my parents. Lo and behold, Presidential banking deadline is 8/31/2019. So, instead of renting out my points, I will be banking them forward. I have cancelled pretty much all of my 2020 reservations and will be rebooking them as they're easy reservations. 2690 points saved.

For me, my Presidential upgrade is paying off again.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, a little more flexibility never hurts.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Steven - Thanks for the reminder. I still have a few 2019 DC Pts, which I may not use.

For those who bank, remind me....once I bank 2019 Enrolled Pts into 2020....I must use them in 2020 calendar year. I cannot use them this year in case something came up later in the year?

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven - Thanks for the reminder. I still have a few 2019 DC Pts, which I may not use.

For those who bank, remind me....once I bank 2019 Enrolled Pts into 2020....I must use them in 2020 calendar year. I cannot use them this year in case something came up later in the year?

Correct, you cannot use them in 2019. However you can borrow your 2020 points into 2019 if the need arises. The points you bank forward, for Presidential, are now available from 1/1/2020 - 6/30/2021. An 18 month window.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Good points all. I’m at Chairman’s level and follow the same strategy waiting until as close,to deadlines as I can to decide to Bank (8/31) or convert weeks to DC points (10/31) or weeks to Bonvoy points(12/31).

I usually discuss the options/deadlines with any VOA that I speak to. Just last week I banked my remaining 2019 points. I keep a pretty detailed spreadsheet of my ownership including maintenance fees, point balances and convert options for each owned week and DC points to help me decide on best usage.

Like Steve, we try to plan our next year travel before these deadline dates so we can plot our DC points needs and usage. We are doing a Collette Tour to Israel (using points) right after Labor Day and are waiting to evaluate the tour experience before deciding what we want to do next year. If we enjoy the tour we will probably book another one for 2020 to another location we’ve never visited. The options that MVC has expanded to makes the program more flexible for all kinds of vacation options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk