• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel package hotel booking with upgraded room

uop1497

Reaction score
I have a certificate (category 1-4) which I am planning to book a 7 night stay at Marriott Nusa Dua garden in Bali. Marriott websites shows 150K points for a deluxe king room while 1 bedroom apartment cost 185K points.

Does anyone know if using the certificate to book a deluxe room, can I use Marriott point in my account to upgrade to a 1 bedroom apartment.

If so, how can make an upgrade using Marriott point in my account . I talked to reservation department, but was told my travel certificate only can be attached to the deluxe room , and can not be combined with extra point in the account to book a 1 bedroom . I am not sure if I was given correct information over the phone.

I sent an email to Marriott to ask my question ( upgraded to 1 bedroom), and got a reply by Marriott Vacation Club to tell me that I should talk to reservation department or to do an upgrade at the check in time.

I do not want to wait until my check in time to do an upgrade. Nor I want to pay an upgrade with money. I only want to use my Marriott point for the upgrade only .

Please advise and thank you.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I have a certificate (category 1-4) which I am planning to book a 7 night stay at Marriott Nusa Dua garden in Bali. Marriott websites shows 150K points for a deluxe king room while 1 bedroom apartment cost 185K points.

Does anyone know if using the certificate to book a deluxe room, can I use Marriott point in my account to upgrade to a 1 bedroom apartment.

If so, how can make an upgrade using Marriott point in my account . I talked to reservation department, but was told my travel certificate only can be attached to the deluxe room , and can not be combined with extra point in the account to book a 1 bedroom . I am not sure if I was given correct information over the phone.

I sent an email to Marriott to ask my question ( upgraded to 1 bedroom), and got a reply by Marriott Vacation Club to tell me that I should talk to reservation department or to do an upgrade at the check in time.

I do not want to wait until my check in time to do an upgrade. Nor I want to pay an upgrade with money. I only want to use my Marriott point for the upgrade only .

Please advise and thank you.

Call the main Marriott Hotels reservation number and tell them what you want to do. While Nusa Dua is a vacation club property, you are using it through the Marriott Bonvoy program - via your travel package accommodation certificate. Marriott Hotel reservations should be able to book the 1BR using your accommodation certificate for a deluxe room and charging you the difference in Bonvoy points for the upgrade to the 1BR unit.

uop1497

Reaction score
I called the reservation department and ask to book 1 bedroom as you have suggested, but I was told certificate can not attached to the 1 bedroom. Or can not do the upgrade afterward. She is able to book a deluxe room with my certificate attach.

Now, All I need is how to upgrade to a 1 bedroom apartment using Marriott point in my account. Anyone knows an easy way to do so or how to talk to Marriott personnel in order to make that happens please share it with me

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I would call the resort directly and ask them.

uop1497

Reaction score
I send an email to Marriott Nusa Dua Garden to ask about possible upgrade to a 1 bedroom using my Marriott Point.
However, the reply is not clear .

Would like to inform you, that there is additional fee for upgrade to 1 bedroom apartment IDR 850,000 ++/ night ( room only and subjected to availability).
For the payment it can be settle by bank transfer.

I am not sure the answer I received (above )because I am not an owner of Marriott vacation club . It seems to me that this Marriott is not welcome guest who books hotel stay with travel certificate. I checked Marriott website and there is 1 bedroom apartment available same period of my booking (a king deluxe room) .

The reply mentioned subject to availability and I have no idea whether I can get a room upgrade guarantee or not. And if so, when?????? . Not mentioned of upgrade paying with point. I send another email for clarification and waiting for reply.

From reading the email reply above , I have the feeling this hotel make it harder for non Marriott vacation Club member who wants to upgrade . I do not know why the hotel room controller does not allowed the payment for upgrade at check in . There is a credit card on file with my booking . They can easily charge the amount different at check in .

I know that there is rule to follow, my stay has not begin yet but I already have a feeling that I am not welcome at this hotel .

Have anyone stayed at this hotel, Is it worthy to book my stay here.

This is my first and last time of buying Marriott travel package .I feel stuck with a TP certificate 1-4 . Have anyone here successfully upgrade TP certificate to a higher category.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
850,000 Bali money (IDR is Indonesian Rupiah) is approximately the equivalent of $60 USD if not mistaken. I believe they are saying they can upgrade you for $60 more a night.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
PSA double check the cancellation policies and fees as the hotels have been monkeying with those as well.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
850,000 Bali money (IDR is Indonesian Rupiah) is approximately the equivalent of $60 USD if not mistaken. I believe they are saying they can upgrade you for $60 more a night.
Yes correct, $1 = IDR (Indonesian Rupiah) 14,250.
So this seems like quite a good deal to me.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Yes correct, $1 = IDR (Indonesian Rupiah) 14,250.
So this seems like quite a good deal to me.
There would be a lot of zeros to buy a car there. $40,000 X 14,250 = 570,000,000 IDR. Talk about sticker shock!!! ;-)

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
There would be a lot of zeros to buy a car there. $40,000 X 14,250 = 570,000,000 IDR. Talk about sticker shock!!! ;-)
The first time we went to Bali, we decided to change just a couple of hundred £s at the airport to tide us over and they gave us a huge wad of notes in a large brown paper envelope - we immediately became millionaires
Then at the hotel, the food and drink prices were continually changing throughout the day with the exchange rate fluctuations
It was a very interesting experience.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I send an email to Marriott Nusa Dua Garden to ask about possible upgrade to a 1 bedroom using my Marriott Point.
However, the reply is not clear .

Would like to inform you, that there is additional fee for upgrade to 1 bedroom apartment IDR 850,000 ++/ night ( room only and subjected to availability).
For the payment it can be settle by bank transfer.

I am not sure the answer I received (above )because I am not an owner of Marriott vacation club . It seems to me that this Marriott is not welcome guest who books hotel stay with travel certificate. I checked Marriott website and there is 1 bedroom apartment available same period of my booking (a king deluxe room) .

The reply mentioned subject to availability and I have no idea whether I can get a room upgrade guarantee or not. And if so, when?????? . Not mentioned of upgrade paying with point. I send another email for clarification and waiting for reply.

From reading the email reply above , I have the feeling this hotel make it harder for non Marriott vacation Club member who wants to upgrade . I do not know why the hotel room controller does not allowed the payment for upgrade at check in . There is a credit card on file with my booking . They can easily charge the amount different at check in .

I know that there is rule to follow, my stay has not begin yet but I already have a feeling that I am not welcome at this hotel .

Have anyone stayed at this hotel, Is it worthy to book my stay here.

This is my first and last time of buying Marriott travel package .I feel stuck with a TP certificate 1-4 . Have anyone here successfully upgrade TP certificate to a higher category.

Based on our experiences over the years depending on the property (whether US or foreign country), we have always been required to accept a charge of either cash (internationally) or points (US) to get a 'guaranteed' upgrade to a larger room (with some Marriott hotels in Europe requiring both a points and cash upgrade charge). Upgrades based strictly on Marriott Hotels loyalty program status (or redeeming Suite Night Awards - SNAs) have always been subject to availability and may or may not happen on any given stay. Our last experience was approximately $1,000 USD plus 60k Bonvoy points to upgrade from a hotel room to a 1BR family suite for 5 nights. This happened in both France and the UK.

uop1497

Reaction score
Based on our experiences over the years depending on the property (whether US or foreign country), we have always been required to accept a charge of either cash (internationally) or points (US) to get a 'guaranteed' upgrade to a larger room (with some Marriott hotels in Europe requiring both a points and cash upgrade charge). Upgrades based strictly on Marriott Hotels loyalty program status (or redeeming Suite Night Awards - SNAs) have always been subject to availability and may or may not happen on any given stay. Our last experience was approximately $1,000 USD plus 60k Bonvoy points to upgrade from a hotel room to a 1BR family suite for 5 nights. This happened in both France and the UK.

Thank you for giving me some insight of how the upgrade work .Do you mind sharing the following:

a) Who has done the upgrade for you, a reservation personnel at the time of your booking in US or the hotel which you stay with.

b) How you pay for an upgrade with. Is it done by deduction point from your Marriott account plus cash and is done by the hotel personnel ( where you stay) after you contact the hotel. And do you ever have to do bank transfer to secure your upgrades before your stay.

I see finger point between the reservation ( US ) vs the hotel personnel ( in Bali) regarding my request. According to the latest email ( from Marriott Garden Bali), I believe the Marriott hotel want to make it harder about the upgrade in order to steer non Marriott Club members away who pays their stay with Travel package . Marriott Garden Bali keep using the term "subject to room availability" while I clearly see the 1 bedroom still available for the same period of my stay.

The deluxe room is only 25 meter sq , too small for 2 person. That is the reason I want to upgrade it to 1 bedroom apt. Otherwise , I would happy to stay in deluxe room .

I will contact Reservation Marriott ( US) again with hope that if someone in US side can do an upgrade.

One more thing, does anyone know an easy way to cancel the booking which already has a travel certificate attached to it. How it be done. Am I able to have the TP certificate back and re- attach it to a new booking without loosing it .

Thank you for continuing to help me with room upgrade issue.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for giving me some insight of how the upgrade work .Do you mind sharing the following:

a) Who has done the upgrade for you, a reservation personnel at the time of your booking in US or the hotel which you stay with.

Marriott Hotel Reservations arranged it with the property for us and we received email confirmations of the upgrades from the hotels.

b) How you pay for an upgrade with. Is it done by deduction point from your Marriott account plus cash and is done by the hotel personnel ( where you stay) after you contact the hotel. And do you ever have to do bank transfer to secure your upgrades before your stay.

Points for the upgrade would be deducted at check-in from our rewards account and the charges were collected at check-in against the card on file from my Marriott account.

I see finger point between the reservation ( US ) vs the hotel personnel ( in Bali) regarding my request. According to the latest email ( from Marriott Garden Bali), I believe the Marriott hotel want to make it harder about the upgrade in order to steer non Marriott Club members away who pays their stay with Travel package . Marriott Garden Bali keep using the term "subject to room availability" while I clearly see the 1 bedroom still available for the same period of my stay.

The deluxe room is only 25 meter sq , too small for 2 person. That is the reason I want to upgrade it to 1 bedroom apt. Otherwise , I would happy to stay in deluxe room .

I will contact Reservation Marriott ( US) again with hope that if someone in US side can do an upgrade.

One more thing, does anyone know an easy way to cancel the booking which already has a travel certificate attached to it. How it be done. Am I able to have the TP certificate back and re- attach it to a new booking without loosing it .

Changes/cancellations to reservations involving an accommodation certificate should be done via phone with Marriott central reservations to ensure your certificate is redeposited into your account (and not cancelled which will result in a very small number of points being returned to your account and the accommodation certificate being forfeited).

Thank you for continuing to help me with room upgrade issue.

My responses are in green above.

uop1497

Reaction score
@KSD4<

Finally, I get the upgrade done thru Marriott US reservation. A very nice young man pick up my call and use same original reservation number to to upgrade to 1 bedroom . However, I am still feel a bit uneasy not sure if every thing is O.K or not.

When viewing my reservation, I can see a note indicate the E certificate is attached, but I do not see my point had been deducted. However, the reservation male insist that my Marriott already deduct. he also ask for information of my CC again. I just wonder if it is the way should be. I already given my CC information at the time I book a deluxe room .

Do you or anyone know if an award reservation was booked using TP certificate and upgrade by using point, do I have other fee requires me to pay at check in. If so, how can I check how much and what other fee I must pay.

This is my first time to visit this MVC in Bali and I am not sure what to expect . I just feel uneasy with Marriott reservation system and after so many calls / email I made .
In my opinion, it should be and easy task for booking using TP certificate and pay an upgrade with point if room available, but several Marriott reservation personnel ( over the phone) make it so difficult to get it done. Just for a simple upgrade, I made at least more than 15 calls to talk to several Marriott personnel so far, not counting on email correspond regarding room upgrade.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@KSD4<

Finally, I get the upgrade done thru Marriott US reservation. A very nice young man pick up my call and use same original reservation number to to upgrade to 1 bedroom . However, I am still feel a bit uneasy not sure if every thing is O.K or not.

When viewing my reservation, I can see a note indicate the E certificate is attached, but I do not see my point had been deducted. However, the reservation male insist that my Marriott already deduct. he also ask for information of my CC again. I just wonder if it is the way should be. I already given my CC information at the time I book a deluxe room .

Do you or anyone know if an award reservation was booked using TP certificate and upgrade by using point, do I have other fee requires me to pay at check in. If so, how can I check how much and what other fee I must pay.

This is my first time to visit this MVC in Bali and I am not sure what to expect . I just feel uneasy with Marriott reservation system and after so many calls / email I made .
In my opinion, it should be and easy task for booking using TP certificate and pay an upgrade with point if room available, but several Marriott reservation personnel ( over the phone) make it so difficult to get it done. Just for a simple upgrade, I made at least more than 15 calls to talk to several Marriott personnel so far, not counting on email correspond regarding room upgrade.

I would expect to not pay any cash upgrade costs until you check-in at the property. You can ask for an email confirmation of your upgrade from the resort. Marriott US Reservations contacted the foreign hotel for us and the foreign hotel sent us an email confirming our upgrade to a 1BR. I would print that email out and take it with you to check-in at the resort.