• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vintage Baseball Cards

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, all you current and past collectors lets talk about some interesting stuff.

I'll bet most of you collected baseball cards as a kid only to have your mom throw them away (sorry mom)! Over the recent year, I started collecting vintage cards again. Vintage means after WWII and prior to 1980. I like collecting between 1948 and 1965, with the exception of a few players.

Rule number 1 - Never buy an ungraded (raw) card that costs more than $100. I'm sorry, but some of the sellers are real crooks. They over grade raw cards and it is very hard to tell, especially if your buying over the internet or even on eBay.

Rule number 2 - Before you buy anything that is graded, know what the approximate value of the card is and how much you're willing to spend. Which leads me to my question.

Beckett or PSA pricing for cards? It would be nice if they were consistent, but they are not. Beckett values seem to be about 50-75% higher. Does anyone know why they are so different? Do they look at sales data? The biggest sports card seller is eBay. I dont get it. Both companies offer grading service, but PSA is the market leader. Beckett has been doing the baseball card pricing as long as I could remember.

Vintage cards tend to be expensive and everyone who sells can sometime be ridiculous in terms of their asking price, for those of us why want to buy, we want something we can use as a baseline and one company seems to low and the other to high. Maybe I should just take an average?

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not see the value in them. I have a few thousand from the early 90s. Looking back it was a good experience but expensive.

For adults a few steps above model train collectors.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also collect baseball cards, baseball replica stadiums and baseball plates. Just be careful whom you buy your baseball cards from. I only purchased PSA mint cards in the past. To be honest with you, I have not looked at my baseball collections in over fifteen (15) years or more and I have not purchase a baseball cards in over fifteen (15) years. I am not collecting today’s baseball players cards.

I also collect old O gauge Lionel trains. They are all in their original boxes, along with the transformers and others trains accessories.
Plus, I have a collection of old HO trains that I run on my train tables.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I do not see the value in them. I have a few thousand from the early 90s. Looking back it was a good experience but expensive.

For adults a few steps above model train collectors.
Cards from the 90s are garbage. Back then, they printed cards to even outpace what was huge demand. People were saying to collect cards and it would payoff well down the road. You can't even give them away today. I had a huge tub under the bed and when we moved. I pulled out the few that I wanted to save. Mainly things that I cherished from my childhood collecting days. The rest were boxed up; a couple complete sets from 1990 and 1991 and a bunch of individual cards. Topps, Fleer, Upper Deck, Donruss. Even that once coveted Todd Van Poppel rookie that was promised to be worth so much money! My wife advertised the rest on Facebook marketplace for $20. To my surprise, someone actually bought them. All those cards that I probably spent a few hundred dollars on netted me $20 after 30 years.

There is a big difference what the OP is talking about and junk cards from the 80s and 90s.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As soon as something you collect becomes a thing of value the joy of the hobby is done. Collect what you enjoy no matter what the value. With baseball cards the stories of finding old valuable cards and the value books putting ridiculous prices on current cards brought a lot of people into the hobby. As soon as that happens the supply outstrips the demand of those who collect as a hobby insuring no value in what is collected. I collected beer cans in the 70's and enjoyed the hobby. Then it became a fad with dealers and of course value books published. The hobby ceases to be enjoyable and nearly died. Collect what brings you joy as a hobby and forget about any values.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cards from the 90s are garbage. Back then, they printed cards to even outpace what was huge demand. People were saying to collect cards and it would payoff well down the road. You can't even give them away today. I had a huge tub under the bed and when we moved. I pulled out the few that I wanted to save. Mainly things that I cherished from my childhood collecting days. The rest were boxed up; a couple complete sets from 1990 and 1991 and a bunch of individual cards. Topps, Fleer, Upper Deck, Donruss. Even that once coveted Todd Van Poppel rookie that was promised to be worth so much money! My wife advertised the rest on Facebook marketplace for $20. To my surprise, someone actually bought them. All those cards that I probably spent a few hundred dollars on netted me $20 after 30 years.

There is a big difference what the OP is talking about and junk cards from the 80s and 90s.

For sure. I have a TVP card. Not sure if I could find it though. Also a few MJ cards which at the time I thought would appreciate. Its possible in time just like as before the the cards will rise in value. I am in no rush to get rid of them even if they remain almost worthless. I just cannot store them where I live with the heat and humidity.

Always possible a long long term play is to keep them in a climate controlled area and outlast the rest.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score

So true. I loved collecting and with my buddies in this era. My last move I went through and got rid of all that didn’t have meaning to me. I only held on to a couple dozen cards plus a set of autographed cards from the ‘91 Twins. My orthopedic surgeon was the dr for the twins and he helped me get all the signatures. Such fun memories!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So true. I loved collecting and with my buddies in this era. My last move I went through and got rid of all that didn’t have meaning to me. I only held on to a couple dozen cards plus a set of autographed cards from the ‘91 Twins. My orthopedic surgeon was the dr for the twins and he helped me get all the signatures. Such fun memories!
Now those may have some value. Autographed set of the '91 World Series Championship Minnesota Twins! One of the greatest World Series ever played.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-time-before-the-dodgers-and-astros-face-off/

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a nice article on selling your baseball cards collection in Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, September 2019 Edition found on a page 15. IMO.

I am not endorsing this magazine ok folks.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I collected cards when I was a kid in the 60’s and still have those that I liked best. Those were the days when we would use a clothes pin to attach cards to our bike spokes to make a neat sound. In some cases that proved to be a bad choice.

I also got started again in the 90’s and wasted some money on O’PeeChee cards (I think that was the brand.) Apparently they dumped a huge supply on the market and they became worthless. Donated those to Goodwill. Oh well.

But overall, I have enjoyed collecting things. At some point I may try selling some of them if my kids don’t want them. Sounds like timeshares doesn’t it? Enjoy whatever you have while you have them.

Best regards.

Mike

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I collected cards when I was a kid in the 60’s and still have those that I liked best. Those were the days when we would use a clothes pin to attach cards to our bike spokes to make a neat sound. In some cases that proved to be a bad choice.

I also got started again in the 90’s and wasted some money on O’PeeChee cards (I think that was the brand.) Apparently they dumped a huge supply on the market and they became worthless. Donated those to Goodwill. Oh well.

But overall, I have enjoyed collecting things. At some point I may try selling some of them if my kids don’t want them. Sounds like timeshares doesn’t it? Enjoy whatever you have while you have them.

Best regards.

Mike
That is why the pre 1980s cards have value, because people didn't collect them. They used them, traded them and destroyed them. So there is a more limited supply. WHen the 80s and 90s rolled around, people collected them and many still have them to this day. If you walk in to a collectors shop today with 80s or 90s cards, they may look at them to humor you, but except for a few rare cards, they aren't interested. They have so many of their own already.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I collected Topps, FLEER and Upper Deck baseball cards because they tend to hold some value over time. I just pulled out my Upper Deck World Series Heroes collections of cards of 90 cards. The New York Yankees, The Brooklyn Dodgers, The Cinn Reds, The Atlanta Braves, The Oakland Athletics, the N Y Mets had some great players playing baseball back in the day in the World Series..

The baseball back than was not juice up liked today's modern baseballs where any hit hard ball will be a homerun LOL..IMO..

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I collected Topps, FLEER and Upper Deck baseball cards because they tend to hold some value over time. I just pulled out my Upper Deck World Series Heroes collections of cards of 90 cards. The New York Yankees, The Brooklyn Dodgers, The Cinn Reds, The Atlanta Braves, The Oakland Athletics, the N Y Mets had some great players playing baseball back in the day in the World Series..

The baseball back than was not juice up liked today's modern baseballs where any hit hard ball will be a homerun LOL..IMO..
Fleer and Upper Deck were big in the 80s and 90s. Upper Deck didn't start making baseball cards until 1989. With the exception of very few, Upper Deck cards are now worthless. Fleer started in the early 80s and suffers the same fate today as upper deck. Destined for the trash can.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dioxide45, Sound liked my Fleer and Upper Deck base cards are liked my Beanie Babies collections they are worthless.:crash::wall::bawl:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole Baseball Card thing has changed dramatically. It is now Sports Cards, not Baseball Cards and the newer cards changing hands for big prices either have certified autographs or parts of jerseys affixed to them. I watch in amazement as my Son (age 38) buys one for what I think is an outrageous price only to double or triple his money when he sells it...

George

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole Baseball Card thing has changed dramatically. It is now Sports Cards, not Baseball Cards and the newer cards changing hands for big prices either have certified autographs or parts of jerseys affixed to them. I watch in amazement as my Son (age 38) buys one for what I think is an outrageous price only to double or triple his money when he sells it...

George

Always another sucker in a boom market.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband collected in the late forties and the fifties, but his mother dumped them (or so she said).
In the early eighties my husband and son collected the. When we moved, I packed up 13 packing boxes filled with albums and boxes. The super good cards stayed in our home, the others went in storage. Eventually my son bought a house, and they got sent home along with his Star Wars, legos, and a few other vintage collectibles.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My husband collected in the late forties and the fifties, but his mother dumped them (or so she said).
In the early eighties my husband and son collected the. When we moved, I packed up 13 packing boxes filled with albums and boxes. The super good cards stayed in our home, the others went in storage. Eventually my son bought a house, and they got sent home along with his Star Wars, legos, and a few other vintage collectibles.
Now the legos, that could be worth something!

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was amazed by a client who bought a very expensive home in Seattle back in the 1980's by selling a portion of his baseball card collection!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a deluxe edition box of the legos in the early 1970's; the box has never been open and it is still in my attics.:cheer: