• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you trade some of your salary for unlimited time off?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I had a job many years ago that required some overtime every month. I had the option of getting paid time and a half pay or taking straight time off. I always choose taking the time off. If I choose the extra money then I just ended up giving more money to the government (taxes). I also had a small child at home so taking more time off meant more time with he & DH as well as less daycare costs.

I would have loved a job where I got more vacation time and would have given up some salary for it. DH's cousin in England told us that most companies there give 4-6 weeks of vacation per year to start and the vacation time increases from there as your seniority increases. He was at 12 wks/yr when he retired last year. That is a good way to employee more people and relieve unemployment. The usual 2 weeks a year we get here to start off with just isn't enough.

~Diane

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My husband buys an extra week of vacation every year. His company just merged with another - we'll soon find out if that option is going away, which would really hurt.

I kind of have the plan mentioned in the article. I have a salaried job that is heavily seasonal. I can take as much vacation as I want as long as the work gets done and my schedule doesn't mess with the overall workflow. My husband gets three weeks a year, lol. Not the best combination!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I get 5 vacation weeks a year. I hold off on going for another company with a higher salary because I refuse to start with 2 weeks vacation. Just not enough time off. Something to be said about PTO. It’s important, almost as important as health benefits!

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I get 5 vacation weeks a year. I hold off on going for another company with a higher salary because I refuse to start with 2 weeks vacation. Just not enough time off. Something to be said about PTO. It’s important, almost as important as health benefits!

Back in June I was RIF'd after 25 years of service... the company decided to outsource most of IT to an offshore company. I had been contemplating leaving for the past 3 years... I stayed because I live/work to travel and (1) I received 7 weeks annual PTO, (2) I worked remotely full-time (which made it easier to stomach the BS) and could work from my vacation spot if I wanted.

I'm glad I didn't leave on my own because I would've missed out on 6 months severance pay...which allowed me to take a few months off this summer.

So now I'm about to start this job hunt and hoping to negotiate at least 3 weeks leave. I can't imagine going back to just 2 weeks a year. I (half) joke with my friends that if I have to settle for 2 weeks PTO, I may just have to quit when I need vacation time and start a new job search when I return! After 25 years with one company, I think I'm overdue for some job hopping!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Back in June I was RIF'd after 25 years of service... the company decided to outsource most of IT to an offshore company. I had been contemplating leaving for the past 3 years... I stayed because I live/work to travel and (1) I received 7 weeks annual PTO, (2) I worked remotely full-time (which made it easier to stomach the BS) and could work from my vacation spot if I wanted.

I'm glad I didn't leave on my own because I would've missed out on 6 months severance pay...which allowed me to take a few months off this summer.

So now I'm about to start this job hunt and hoping to negotiate at least 3 weeks leave. I can't imagine going back to just 2 weeks a year. I (half) joke with my friends that if I have to settle for 2 weeks PTO, I may just have to quit when I need vacation time and start a new job search when I return! After 25 years with one company, I think I'm overdue for some job hopping!
My husband went from 5 weeks off + 40 hrs pto to 3 incl sick time when he had to change jobs for the same reason. Ridiculous. He used to work for the new company back in the 90s and they refused to bridge his service.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Retirement: trading ALL of your salary for UNLIMITED time off. A lot of us do it!
I wish. We are working just for guaranteed access to insurance.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The trade I made was smaller paychecks for enhanced Pension benefits, specifically a guaranteed 3% annual COLA. Best trade I ever made...

George
Nice... my last job started with a pension plan. They dropped it circa 2000... adding only annual cost of living increases since then. They chose to increase 401k matches (100% match up to 5% of income) rather than do the pension thing. From what I hear, not many companies offer the old pension plans.. employees are left to figure it out on their own.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Aww I’m sorry to hear that. You have to get at least 3!!

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
My part-time gig at Target kind of works like that. I don't try to take time off between mid-November and Christmas, and I make sure I'm around for the couple of weeks leading up to school. I work close to full-time hours when I'm around. (Plus 35 hours/week at my Ed Tech job during the school year!) But when I'm gone...I'm gone. I will have managed 7 weeks of timeshare stays by year's end, plus a couple of long weekends. Not too bad! I don't make mega bucks, but it works for us when combined with my "real" job. I agree that time off is a health benefit. Sure does make my blood pressure go down!!

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I work in a school, so theoretically have 13 weeks off per year. I do work some summer school and have to go back 2 weeks early for sports, but I still get about 6 weeks. I am very fortunate, and I am sure I sound like a spoiled brat when I say that I would like to have vacation time when everywhere is not crowded or expensive.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I work in a school, so theoretically have 13 weeks off per year. I do work some summer school and have to go back 2 weeks early for sports, but I still get about 6 weeks. I am very fortunate, and I am sure I sound like a spoiled brat when I say that I would like to have vacation time when everywhere is not crowded or expensive.
Haha yeah, well being from NY nothing should be expensive to you lol.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I work almost everyday of the year. A lot for no pay, capital improvements and renting out apartments and heavy equipment. More then half the days I spend more then I make.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
UNLIMITED time off!!?? Sure, I'd trade 50% or more of my salary not to work at all.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Retirement: trading ALL of your salary for UNLIMITED time off. A lot of us do it!

When DH retired at age 57 many of his co-workers couldn't understand why he wouldn't wait until he was 60. He was eligible for full pension due to his age plus his years of service equalling 90. His pension is based on his best 5 years of earnings which was in a different department the 90's, nearly double his wages at retirement. He also explained that his pension was going to be just over $300. per month less than his current salary and that he spent $400. /month on gas driving back and forth to work. Add that to wear & tear on the car and all the other expenses of working it was a no brainer!

~Diane

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I had read a study recently in which it was found that those with unlimited vacation actually took less vacation. I’ll try to find that article.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Worked for a major oil & pipeline company for nine years .. except the Fed Gov't changed the pension vesting from 10 years to 5 years ... starting that great rescession of the Fall of 1982 (cheaper layoff employees than fund MORE 5 classes of pension early in one year).

I got my MBA as part of my oil company servence package and got an independant contract consulting job after getting my MBA at a major chemical company for 3.5 years.

I taught parttime community college after hours for 9+ years while working at the oil company. I invested that money and learned how to 'command the floor'.

But since 1987 ... I have NOT worked for any company. I invested those dollars.

PS The oil company and the chemical companies are BOTH gone (Sunoco and DuPont).

PSS I have work 3 times longer for myself than in "Corporate America".

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had read a study recently in which it was found that those with unlimited vacation actually took less vacation. I’ll try to find that article.
This isn't an actual study... but was mentioned in the article.

It’s becoming a popular benefit in the tech world — Netflix and LinkedIn offer it, per Marketplace — although some question its value.

“It’s a phantom gift. If your workload requires you to work 52 weeks a year, you have unlimited vacation but your workload doesn’t allow you to use it,” Jeff Zinser, principal and founder of Right Recruiting, told CNBC.

One analysis found employees of companies that give unlimited time off take just 13 days of vacation, on average, compared to 15 days taken by those at companies with traditional time off policies.

"An unlimited vacation day policy creates more guilt around going on vacation because if you take too many days and your teammates don't, you feel like they have the upper hand when it comes to career advancement," Dan Schawbel, with HR advisory firm Future Workplace, told Marketplace.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Way back when I was President of a Bank employees were entitled to vacation, sick days and a couple of personal days. To make it better for the employees I made it where these were interchangeable. They could mix and match them any way they wanted. No one had to lie or justify why they wanted off. All they had to do was get their Supervisor's permission. It really worked well. ...

George

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
My pension check would have been 25% larger if I waited 5 more years, but I never have regretted retiring early for that unlimited time off. :D:D:D

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

I get 6 weeks in total PTO and I feel the same way, I’m hesitant to leave this job for another because I’m unwilling to go down to 2 or 3 weeks of vacation a year