• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Timeshare Exchanges With Each Other

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the issue I had with direct exchange is some people list the week they OWN and in the text detail the weeks they want, and in some instances people list the week they WANT and in the details it describes the week they own.

when posting a direct exchange ad, it specifically asks you to enter what you own...and then enter what you want. While it is possible some folks get this switched, after going thru posting a test ad...im not sure what else we can do to make it more clear and in looking at the ads themselves, im not sure how one would identify any that are "backwards".

the only thing I do see in ads is in the description some folks type in what they want...and some enter a description of what they own...but in ALL ads...the details for what the owner is looking for is detailed at the bottom of the ad below the description (regardless of what is in the description). here is an example of this (at least I think thats what we are talking about)

upload_2017-5-11_1-50-35.png

note that the member both mentions what they own mixed in with what they want...and i can see how this might be confusing to someone looking at the ad...but it does clearly state at the bottom that the owner "wants to exchange for" those 3 critera listed...and anyone that has a direct exchange ad that matches any of those 3 critera would have been sent an email the moment this ad was posted.

Problem is having a single listing for both makes it hard to search properly and efficiently.

The system wasnt setup to search for the parts of ads people "want"...the system is setup to automatically notify you when that match exists (you will get an email).

You almost need a dual entry per listing, one side listing the HAVE IT, and the other listing the WANT IT. You have some listings that just list part of the equation, so how do you know what you could have in exchange. So I suggest TUG needs a better way to capture and search both sides of the trade equation.

every ad has this already, but the "searching" for what people want isnt necessary because you are already notified via email if your exchange matches an ad.

The two reason I haven't used it is feeling I got value out of my trade, and the ease in searching the listings.

I dont think there is any solution for a way to ensure you get value for your trade, its human nature for everyone to want to "Trade up"...however unfortunately there is simply no way for this to happen in any system because for every person who trades up, someone has to accept a trade down.

I have units, but I am open to where I might want to go. So I want to work backwards. I want to see what people want and if I have what they want, do they have someplace I want to go. So searching that way doesn't work, you often have to look at every ad.

if you have units available, what is keeping you from posting them as direct exchange ads?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, this my struggle also ... as noted back on page 3 of this thread. Oh, my, my ... that was back in 2010!?! Wowza.

same question. if you have units available...what is keeping you from posting them as direct exchange ads? I am missing what the downside is here? Is it just not worth taking the time to post an ad? Do folks think there is a cost involved? Do you feel its going to take away an ad credit? (note that exchange ads and wish ads do not require ad credits, you can post as many as you like)

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
same question. if you have units available...what is keeping you from posting them as direct exchange ads? I am missing what the downside is here? Is it just not worth taking the time to post an ad?
Elements of the case study, from my perspective:
  • I'm not entirely convinced I want to trade. I'm sufficiently curious to check for interest against my holdings -- but that is my limit.
  • Some of my holdings are vague (points).
  • I have zero tolerance for responding to lookie-loo inquiries against my vague holdings. I'd rather target my interests and initiate the conversation if someone is specifically looking for something I can book with my points and their offering is appealing to me.
Short version: I want to initiate the potential trade conversation.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ok, i went thru every direct exchange ad and sent a message to each member who had posted an ad that did NOT have what they were looking for filled out and instructed them to edit their ads to input this information.

perhaps we need to make it setup so that if someone fails to input anything in the "what i am looking for" section, it just defaults to they are looking for any timeshare, anywhere, anytime.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Elements of the case study, from my perspective:
  • I'm not entirely convinced I want to trade. I'm sufficiently curious to check for interest against my holdings -- but that is my limit.
understandable, and by posting a direct exchange ad...you are not obligated to actually make a trade...or give your week to TUG. you are merely setting up the ability to be notified of potential matches and nothing more.
points can be listed, or you can post floating weeks at a popular resort you know you can book etc (or both)...its just as flexible as the marketplace..and requires no ad credits.
  • I have zero tolerance for responding to lookie-loo inquiries against my vague holdings. I'd rather target my interests and initiate the conversation if someone is specifically looking for something I can book with my points and their offering is appealing to me.
when a match is made, you are sent an email notifying you of the match and directed to the other persons exchange ad and you can send that person a message if you wish (or not, if you have a change of heart). vs incoming messages, you can choose to ignore or delete as you wish...there is no requirement to reply if you dont want to.

im not sure we've had any complaints from folks who have literally been overwhelmed with messages in the marketplace, but I can understand not wanting to tell someone you arent interested in making a trade with them over and over.

I get thousands of emails every day, and answer hundreds of them directly...im not sure I am the right person to fully comprehend this particular complaint though as im happy to reply to folks who ask questions (even if they are complaints!) =)

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii Collection 74,000 points

Westin 2 Bedroom Maui; selling it now.
2 bedroom ocean Front Hyatt week 51. We Rent it on VRBO only.
I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that this exists on TUG. If you go to the TUG Marketplace there is an area where you can list your week as available for trade exchange with another TUGger for their week. It is a way to get around the RCI exchange fees. You would have to provide a guest certificate for whom ever you trade with. List of all Free Timeshare Exchanges available on TUG!

also, this Timeshare Advice article explains the process of free direct exchanges on TUG!

Free TUG Exchange program!

and here is a link to the directions (with screenshots) on how to post your exchange ad for free!

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index....es-with-each-other.128531/page-8#post-2001004
T

Is this a forum or are you trying to become an exchange company. Horrible idea!!!!!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
T

Is this a forum or are you trying to become an exchange company. Horrible idea!!!!!
I think it's wonderful that this forum offers another avenue to exchange our timeshare thru, and the fact that its FREE is all the better... Thank you TUG.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yea, im a bit confused at that comment as well.

*shrug...everyone is entitled to an opinion!

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii Collection 74,000 points

Westin 2 Bedroom Maui; selling it now.
2 bedroom ocean Front Hyatt week 51. We Rent it on VRBO only.
yea, im a bit confused at that comment as well.

*shrug...everyone is entitled to an opinion!

It's a bunch of us that have opinions. I would rather have a company over See exchanges. There are so many problems that could happen. I'm all for saving 200 dollars but 1 nightmare travel exchange or scam will and has broken so many people.

Be careful if your gonna trust some random person on the internet.

Ohhh. I have an uncle in Nigeria that died and left me 200 million dollars. All I need is $10,000 to pay the attorney. Can anyone help me out.
Just a joke. But point made.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the post quoted was from nearly 10 years ago, I dont think TUG is in any risk of "becoming an exchange company".

we merely provide alternatives for folks who dont want to deal with exchange companies, or pay those fees.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
It's a bunch of us that have opinions. I would rather have a company over See exchanges. There are so many problems that could happen. I'm all for saving 200 dollars but 1 nightmare travel exchange or scam will and has broken so many people.

Be careful if your gonna trust some random person on the internet.

Ohhh. I have an uncle in Nigeria that died and left me 200 million dollars. All I need is $10,000 to pay the attorney. Can anyone help me out.
Just a joke. But point made.

Your point made is that you really don't understand direct exchanges. The whole Nigerian uncle thing has no similarity to how this works. Before commenting, you should educate yourself on how it all works.

Sue

sharewhereMiMi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten VA,
Presidential Resorts Wilderness VA, Wyndham Myrtle Beach SC,
The Quarter House, New Orleans LA
[Text deleted. Ads, including "want to exchange" ads are not permitted in the discussion forums. Please see the "For Exchange" section of TUG's Timeshare Marketplace, located outside the bulletin board: https://tug2.com/timeshare-classifieds/default.aspx. TUG members may post in the Timeshare Marketplace for free.]

Last edited by a moderator:

castleo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tahoe Beach & Ski, Polo Towers, Palm Canyon, 200,000 RCI points, other deposit
I have done trades several times and it works well. I mainly use RCI points to schedule the trade because I have 200,000 plus points per year. So, that means any place available on RCI----depending on time and place could be traded. But I also have timeshares in Pennsylvania, Lake Tahoe, Texas, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, etc. I also have units banked at several other exchange companies. So, if you are interested in a trade let me know what you have and where you would like to go. I also have access to houses/cabins in Lake Tahoe, Pine Mountain Lake, and Aptos, California owned by family members. Then I create a 3 way trade. I have traded a canal boat I scheduled in England for a cabin at Big Bear Lake, a place in the French Quarter in New Orleans for a place near Portofino, Italy, and a studio near Boston for I forget the exchange.

If I use RCI, it is booked and paid for, put in the person's name with a guest pass, and they get a confirmation with RCI. On my end I need a verification and reservation from the person exchanging.

So, right now I am looking for Italy and Croatia in Sep-Oct 2020, San Francisco between now and March 2020, maybe Seattle-Portland sometime in the next two years.

What are you looking to book??
yea, I wouldnt post ones you KNOW you wont trade with someone else for...that would be pointless.

unless you arent 100% about using it, who knows...you might get an exchange offer you cant refuse between now and then.

you are NOT obligated to make a trade under any circumstances, the system is purely just for matchmaking between tuggers! its up to both of you (when a match is made) to decide if you want to trade or not!

and yes, post them separately...otherwise the matching system wont function properly!

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that this exists on TUG. If you go to the TUG Marketplace there is an area where you can list your week as available for trade exchange with another TUGger for their week. It is a way to get around the RCI exchange fees. You would have to provide a guest certificate for whom ever you trade with. List of all Free Timeshare Exchanges available on TUG!

also, this Timeshare Advice article explains the process of free direct exchanges on TUG!

Free TUG Exchange program!

and here is a link to the directions (with screenshots) on how to post your exchange ad for free!

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index....es-with-each-other.128531/page-8#post-2001004

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
these ads need to be posted in the marketplace vs this thread.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to offer my furnished rental property to another Tugger in a direct exchange? I have a 6BR, 5BA property in the VA/DC area that generally rents for $1750 to $3500 for 3 to 7 nights, depending on the season. I don't believe there are any super-sized timeshare options in the DC area, so this would be a good option for larger groups.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
bump, be sure to post your exchanges (or renew your expired listings). had about a dozen expire over the past week!

no cost at all, not even an ad credit to post a timeshare for exchange, who knows what you might match up and get a trade for free!!

SABadshah

Reaction score
Only the weeks that you are offering in exchange should be posted. If someone is looking for a specific week, you can post them separately. In the box for additional information, however, you should mention that the other consecutive weeks are also available and provide the dates.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Only the weeks that you are offering in exchange should be posted. If someone is looking for a specific week, you can post them separately. In the box for additional information, however, you should mention that the other consecutive weeks are also available and provide the dates.

Are those actual guidelines for posting direct exchange ads on TUG2? Did @TUGBrian ask you to post those guidelines? I've used the Direct Exchange system successfully as a TUG member, but it seems odd to me for a guest to be highlighting some restrictions on their use. Granted that I've only ever posted weeks I actually had booked for exchange, which seems intuitively proper, but there is a de minimis fee to become a TUG member that allows a few benefits such as the included classified ads and access to the sightings forum - it just strikes me as odd for a guest on TUG to try to limit what others do on TUG2 without contributing to the maintenance of the site.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yea ive no idea where those rules came from, certainly arent anything Ive said or mandated!

everyone should post all their weeks as direct exchange listings, never know what you might match!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I don't think people use that portion of the marketplace much. It's not super easy to search to find good options. Needs to be easier to quickly sort by what someone wants, not just what they have. You need to open each ad to see what they want unless they're smart and put it in the title.

Anyway, I just posted an add for week 34 at CBI bc I want week 35 at any nearby resort instead so I can do the Labor Day Swim in Oceanside. But I doubt I'll get a hit.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hopefully with the new search tool things will be much easier to find!

for everyone who posts a rental, you should post a direct exchange for the same interval as well! who knows what matches you might get!

exchanges always have been and always will be free, so no reason not to post as many direct exchange listings as you like!

Sn0wbird

TUG Member
Reaction score
hopefully with the new search tool things will be much easier to find!

for everyone who posts a rental, you should post a direct exchange for the same interval as well! who knows what matches you might get!

exchanges always have been and always will be free, so no reason not to post as many direct exchange listings as you like!
I like the new change where you can search different ad in one place. Where can I see post date? It would be helpful to see when the ad was posted.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Those of us with hybrid/point systems don't have an easy way to participate. I'm not asking for a way to participate -- just that the reason you're not going to see my Key West week available is that I can trade it for three-to-five weeks using the system. And there's no way to do that with direct trades. Not unless someone happens to have three-to-five weeks I want, and is willing to trade them all for my single Key West week.

For people with traditional timeshares, this looks like an ideal way to get RCI and II out of the picture and work directly with someone here instead.