• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why?? Way way less access to resale buyers after 1/1/19

nomoretslt

Reaction score
At least the original 14 aren’t held to just their home resort if resale (after 2042 there would still be SSR, extended OKW, Animal Kingdom, Copper Creek, Bay Lake Tower, Grand Floridian, Grand Californian, and Aulani). Resales at Riviera or Reflections won’t have the luxury of finding availability at another DVC resort last minute if their plans change - maybe this will lead to people using RCI more so at least they don’t lose their points. Who knows, maybe Disney will come up with a way to “qualify” your resale points on Riviera and Reflections for a large fee - LOL.

To be honest, if I were looking at buying DVC today vs when we bought in 2002, I would have passed on it. I used to think of DVC as standing above the other brands, but now they are copying their lower competition like Westgate.

It's hard to find ANYTHING last minute at DVC (except Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom). To be honest, I wish DVC would find a way to clamp down on the big renting companies. There used to be a "pride in ownership"....I won't go into my deep feelings about this. Many people profit from this practice. And DVC, from what I have been able to find, does not seem to go after owners for damages and theft when they are not the ones using their points. Not painting renters with a broad brush....but there used to be a saying "don't worry, it's a rental" and "don't worry, the landlord with fix it".

I think, and I may be wrong, that new DVC prospective buyers are much more aware of other timeshares when compared to Disney. There are so many popping up around Disney. And there are so many commercials out there about "help me dump my timeshare".

Although I would not advise anyone to buy DVC unless they have the cash on hand or can do a short term loan at a very low interest rate. That is what we did with our first purchase in 1997. It was a real struggle but we paid off our first contract in a year.

And they do have ROFR....since they will not buy your contract from you directly (unless you foreclose on it or don't pay dues or whatever...not sure what happens in that case), you are forced to go to a resale vendor. And if they want it, they can take it. So I really don't think they are doing these things to discourage the resale market. Then again, I can be completely wrong.

I've never been sorry for any of my DVC purchases direct and/or resale. I DID pay way too much for Saratoga direct.....$90/pt when it wasn't even opened yet. But we used those points for BoardWalk stays for many, many years and two trips to Aulani. We never stayed at Saratoga. But since it is getting harder to change resorts at 7 months, I am glad we sold those points (for $102/point) to buy Riviera. We used those points for close to 15 years maybe more (can't remember what year we bought). But I think those days may be over. If the bubble bursts, I may have to snatch up some small contracts here and there.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My sister in law wants me to buy DVC. Can’t she just be happy with Marriott? LOL. I kind of want Riviera! The skylink to Epcot and HS looks great

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister in law wants me to buy DVC. Can’t she just be happy with Marriott? LOL. I kind of want Riviera! The skylink to Epcot and HS looks great
She wants you to buy DVC so she can freeload? Why doesn't she buy and take you instead of the reverse?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
She wants you to buy DVC so she can freeload? Why doesn't she buy and take you instead of the reverse?
It’s more of a joke because I have vistana and She loves Disney lol. More of a “geeez why can’t one of these timeshares you keep buying be a DVC one?!” My SIL and brother need to be more freeloading. They are too giving sometimes. Every time I take them they buy my park tickets so it works out.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s more of a joke because I have vistana and She loves Disney lol. More of a “geeez why can’t one of these timeshares you keep buying be a DVC one?!” My SIL and brother need to be more freeloading. They are too giving sometimes. Every time I take them they buy my park tickets so it works out.
I figured but you never know. That's where we are, we book and invite people on our dime because we can, our way of giving back. I had 10 units at Grande ocean this summer, we'll have more next year. OTOH, I've seen lot's of examples where it wasn't amicable. There is a lot of dysfunction out there and it seems to be more with Disney than in most areas. I've seen people provide the accommodations and have guests upset they weren't buying their tickets and food. I've seen family members EXPECT to go for free even when the owner was not going. I've seen lots of people invite themselves (usually for free) when it wasn't appropriate. This knowledge going in can some some people a lot of emotion where applicable.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I figured but you never know. That's where we are, we book and invite people on our dime because we can, our way of giving back. I had 10 units at Grande ocean this summer, we'll have more next year. OTOH, I've seen lot's of examples where it wasn't amicable. There is a lot of dysfunction out there and it seems to be more with Disney than in most areas. I've seen people provide the accommodations and have guests upset they weren't buying their tickets and food. I've seen family members EXPECT to go for free even when the owner was not going. I've seen lots of people invite themselves (usually for free) when it wasn't appropriate. This knowledge going in can some some people a lot of emotion where applicable.
I know it all too well! I don’t ask and I don’t expect but it’s nice when the offer is there. This year they are trying to buy their first house so i wouldn’t expect anything. For this trip I did an II getaway anyway and only paid 376 for MGV so it’s allll good!

I used my Harborside resort week Labor Day week and took a solo trip. Friends invited themselves and I said NO. I want to just go alone and relax without a care in the world and reset. They weren’t happy and I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it all too well! I don’t ask and I don’t expect but it’s nice when the offer is there. This year they are trying to buy their first house so i wouldn’t expect anything. For this trip I did an II getaway anyway and only paid 376 for MGV so it’s allll good!

I used my Harborside resort week Labor Day week and took a solo trip. Friends invited themselves and I said NO. I want to just go alone and relax without a care in the world and reset. They weren’t happy and I thought that was a bit ridiculous.
At least you found out who your friends are. I can see asking to go if done appropriately but done in a different manner or to be upset about it is unreasonable.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
At least you found out who your friends are. I can see asking to go if done appropriately but done in a different manner or to be upset about it is unreasonable.
I agree! Exactly. Then midweek “we checked flights it’s so cheap we are coming” I said flat out, “no you’re not. I’m having the best alone time lol, but if you want to come I’ll help you find yourselves a room cause coming to my room and being all up in my space will Ben chaotic and not relaxing. Y’all can come next time I book a two bedroom and lock you off haha.”

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Rick and I booked a one bedroom at OKW for two nights because flying in on a Tuesday was so much cheaper than Thursday. We had Thursday-Thursday at Marriott's Cypress Harbour. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was to fly to Orlando on a Tuesday, and that was one reason we bought DVC, but I admit to renting it more than using it.

Early Magic Hours are tough to do for us. We don't like to get up that early. 7 AM is 5 AM Denver time, and we are old, so booking Disney for those benefits is really no benefit; however, booking Disney now for the FP+ is well worth staying on Disney property.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Rick and I booked a one bedroom at OKW for two nights because flying in on a Tuesday was so much cheaper than Thursday. We had Thursday-Thursday at Marriott's Cypress Harbour. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was to fly to Orlando on a Tuesday, and that was one reason we bought DVC, but I admit to renting it more than using it.

Early Magic Hours are tough to do for us. We don't like to get up that early. 7 AM is 5 AM Denver time, and we are old, so booking Disney for those benefits is really no benefit; however, booking Disney now for the FP+ is well worth staying on Disney property.
FP+ is 60 days out? Is that the same if a non owner rented points through one of the point rental websites?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
FP+ is 60 days out? Is that the same if a non owner rented points through one of the point rental websites?
As far as I know, as long as you have a DVC res number, you get the FP+.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
As far as I know, as long as you have a DVC res number, you get the FP+.

I’m struggling with a DVC because I generally want to make reservations for long weeks 60-90 days in advance. Many are saying not much available that close? Generally I’d go fall weekends or December. I try to stay away spring break and summer weeks

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m struggling with a DVC because I generally want to make reservations for long weeks 60-90 days in advance. Many are saying not much available that close? Generally I’d go fall weekends or December. I try to stay away spring break and summer weeks
No way would I buy DVC or frankly, any other timeshare, with this plan as the main usage option.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No way would I buy DVC or frankly, any other timeshare, with this plan as the main usage option.
I think Vistana may work for this. I was able to easily book SVV about 30 days out using StarOptions for Labor Day weekend. It is also much cheaper than DVC.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC's busiest season for internal reservations is roughly the beginning of Food & Wine through the Marathon weekend. It is almost uniquely ill-suited to what you want.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Vistana may work for this. I was able to easily book SVV about 30 days out using StarOptions for Labor Day weekend. It is also much cheaper than DVC.
It's not that there aren't options that may work but rather that there are no options that will work successfully and consistently for this situation other than if you're OK with anything, esp lower rated places, as an exchange or with RCI points and paying the additional housekeeping fees. Even DVC may work at times, there are owners who use it that way. But availability has tightened up over the years and it doesn't work nearly as well buy DVC for this purpose as it once did. Plus CPNY already has the Vistana option so it's not buying something new.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I agree, which is why i struggle with buying any DVC points. However, I do find with vistana availability opens 60days prior because that’s when people cancel before restrictions set in. Also, I’ve seen some good last min interval trades. Not that I ever used interval to exchange. I’d rather book a getaway.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
DVC's busiest season for internal reservations is roughly the beginning of Food & Wine through the Marathon weekend. It is almost uniquely ill-suited to what you want.
Correct, which is why I struggle with buying any DVC. But maybe riviera might be good?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Why would the booking patterns there be any different?
It is because of the way DVC allocated their points across seasons. Because fall is low season, they have lower point requirements so DVC members book this up to extend their points. There really is no low season at Disney anymore.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I get that. I was asking CPNY why they thought Riviera would be any different from any other DVC resort in the busy season of Fall through Marathon.
Long term and in general I think Riviera will be more like GF. Not because it's as popular but as there are a sizable chunk of members that can only reserve there, it may make a difference adding to the inherent demand.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Long term and in general I think Riviera will be more like GF. Not because it's as popular but as there are a sizable chunk of members that can only reserve there, it may make a difference adding to the inherent demand.
That’s what I was thinking, but also regardless of availability, it seems like the one resort I would enjoy. Having the skylink or skyway whatever the name is, goes to two of my favorite parks. But yes, I would think because of the restrictions on resale that may make a difference.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, but also regardless of availability, it seems like the one resort I would enjoy. Having the skylink or skyway whatever the name is, goes to two of my favorite parks. But yes, I would think because of the restrictions on resale that may make a difference.
Thinking one would enjoy it is a big unknown when paying this much for something. A lot of people are skeptical of the skyway, myself included.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Thinking one would enjoy it is a big unknown when paying this much for something. A lot of people are skeptical of the skyway, myself included.
To be honest, I am as well. As a claustrophobic I could just deal as long as we don’t stop. I could always just do what I usually do, Uber!