• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental of Holding Points?

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm planning, for the first time ever, to rent some MVC points. It appears the going rate for non-distressed points is about $0.60 - $0.65 per point. I'm actually fine renting (and would actually prefer to rent) some distressed/holding account points (can only be used for ressies within 60 days). I've seen one or two ads (one with an enormous amount of holding points they're trying to dispose of) with these sorts of points.

Curious what the collective wisdom/thoughts are on a fair price for the rental of these holding account points since they have much less utility? I don't want to pay $0.65 per point, but don't want to insult someone or have an unrealistic view of what's a fair value for the rental of such points either.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Just want to make sure you realize the holding account points cannot be transferred to you, and the current holder would have to make the ressie and then add your name to the ressie. To me, that ads risk to you and therefore the point rental price should also be priced accordingly. I would think something in the 45-50 cents a point would be a decent price. That said, depending on the renters ownership status, the 60 day and closer ressie could net you a points discount, so you could also factor that into your overall value.

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not realize that they couldn't transfer the points. I assumed it worked similar to renting non-distressed points. Good to know, and thanks!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not realize that they couldn't transfer the points. I assumed it worked similar to renting non-distressed points. Good to know, and thanks!
It can still be a good option and the advantage renting without transferring is you only commit if you get what you want. But there is risk so one must weigh that option.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, I rent my points at the same rate regardless of type, mainly because I know that I will use them for a stay one way or another. Last year I rented a studio to a person for Ko Olina. I got the rate I wanted. They still got a week at a decent price because of my presidential discount as well.

You just have to present a win/win situation. However, 0.40-0.50 would still be a reasonable offer and one shouldn’t take offense.