• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Frustrated with my ads on Redweek. I am getting grouchier about cheapskates in my old age

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
Getting back to the original post, I have also been dealing with the people low-balling on every rental! I have had no luck listing on TUG, so I list on Redweek, and have had great success. And, I have a number of repeat renters, which is great! But, when listing a rental for $2,100 in Marriott Newport Coast for a 2BR/2BA during platinum season, and getting an offer for $1,200. it's just ridiculous and a complete waste of my time responding to these inquiries! I have started specifying that my price is firm, and I will not consider lower offers.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the original post, I have also been dealing with the people low-balling on every rental! I have had no luck listing on TUG, so I list on Redweek, and have had great success. And, I have a number of repeat renters, which is great! But, when listing a rental for $2,100 in Marriott Newport Coast for a 2BR/2BA during platinum season, and getting an offer for $1,200. it's just ridiculous and a complete waste of my time responding to these inquiries! I have started specifying that my price is firm, and I will not consider lower offers.
Just because your maintenance costs are high doesn't mean it will rent to cover them. Look around and see what is available to price it within the range that others are renting for.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Just because your maintenance costs are high doesn't mean it will rent to cover them. Look around and see what is available to price it within the range that others are renting for.
The asking price is actually in range. $1200 is an insult for the area. You have The Resort at Pelican Hill, The Montage, and Ritz Carlton resorts in the area. I am still amazed MVC was able to build a TS resort there because you either have the hotel resorts or the boutique resorts in the area.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The asking price is actually in range. $1200 is an insult for the area. You have The Resort at Pelican Hill, The Montage, and Ritz Carlton resorts in the area. I am still amazed MVC was able to build a TS resort there because you either have the hotel resorts or the boutique resorts in the area.
Yes, absolutely, because Newport Coast is a beautiful place in a very high-dollar area. I would definitely pay that myself, because $2,100 for a week in summer for Newport Coast would still be a bargain.

I cannot get summer Newport Coast via exchange, and I have had ongoing searches for summer for years, with my Marriott preference. I never get it. I hear it's tough to book Newport as an owner.

It's a great place to stay. I would bet those condos would sell for $2 million each.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the people who have ever hassled me were 3rd party / brokers from real estate companies that rent out timeshares. They were willing to pay my asking price. But when I told them I didn’t want to rent using a third party they absolutely would not leave me alone. I stopped responding to one company and they reported me to Redweek. Redweek said they had a policy that I had to respond to all correspondence or I would be dropped. (For clarification I think they meant all initial correspondence).

I sent a very stern letter to the company saying why on earth would I do business with them after they reported me to Redweek and that they needed to read what others have said about them on Redweek.

They said they didn’t “complain” they just reported me because I stopped responding. And they asked if I could call them so we could have a dialogue. I told them that I had officially responded to their request and to stop contacting me. They finally left me alone.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if some of the low-ballers are brokers who want to re-rent the unit..

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I wonder if some of the low-ballers are brokers who want to re-rent the unit..

It was awhile back, but I thought of that, too:

Could it be that some low-ball offers are from other vacation rental businesses, trying to find something to flip for a little bit of coin?

I mention it because someone who does LMRs here under two different names tried to hit me up for something to flip. The only reason I can think they tried me is because I have posted about $300/week Last Calls, and that is a lot less than the LMR limit.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I have dealt with some rental business that post on TUG although we've had more conversations than consummations.

I don't care if a rental business can sell it for more than they pay me. If I get my price, I'm not fussy about who pays it. I do tend to get a little prickly when it appears the rental business it trying to make its profit from my discount.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I have had the low ballers tell me they get them all the time for X amount of money.

My response was not Christmas , New Years, 4th of July , or spring break weeks you don't.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have had the low ballers tell me they get them all the time for X amount of money.

My response was not Christmas , New Years, 4th of July , or spring break weeks you don't.

Sounds exactly like the guy who was pestering me for a 4th of July week 2 BR Oceanview at Hilton Hawaiian Village. He wanted it 700 because he always gets it for that price.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is always my response: If you can rent it for $700, you should jump on it - that is a great price!!!

RE: Resale companies - I rent to resale companies all the time. If I'm getting my asking price, and I'm happy with the terms, why not? Most of the resale people are nice and professional, but there is one guy (hint - his name is a color) who I have blocked from my phone and email, because he is so pushy and aggressive - now he IS annoying!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
This is always my response: If you can rent it for $700, you should jump on it - that is a great price!!!

RE: Resale companies - I rent to resale companies all the time. If I'm getting my asking price, and I'm happy with the terms, why not? Most of the resale people are nice and professional, but there is one guy (hint - his name is a color) who I have blocked from my phone and email, because he is so pushy and aggressive - now he IS annoying!
Nice hint! Is that his name or the company name? Pushy and aggressive is such a turnoff, especially when dealing with timeshare sales. Well, really any sales.

ronandjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
So two people contacted me about renting yesterday. Peacock Suites was one. I rent for my cost to recover my outrageous maintenance fees, so I don't make money on anything. I have dates advertised on Redweek of $50/night for weeknights and I explain in the text of the ad that weekends are 3X the price.

So I get an email from someone who wants two weekends included, so a 9-night stay, in summer, and they didn't like the price I was charging because it wasn't $50 per night. I told them Wyndham would charge $147/nt + tax for their dates, and my price was only $75 per night. I was giving them a bargain price.

I was not polite. I told them to read the text of the ad and see that I never said it would be only $50 per night for weekends.

I wasn't nasty or mean, but I told them to find someone else to rent them anything a mile from Disneyland for that price. Then when they came around, I told them I wouldn't rent to them. They were saying I lied in my ad, basically. I had another similar one for Peacock, but not as bad.
So I am a grouch the last few days.
Hey! If you’re renting Peacock at $75/night? We’d be interested in that great price as we well know how much it costs to go to So CA. We’ll be spending more time again in April and May there since grandson Clayton will be having more concerts ( he’s majoring in tuba!!) at BIOLA university which is just 9 miles from Disney ...

Last year we must have seen him play about 12? concerts ..music majors are really busy there!