• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting rid of a Westgate timeshare

eamansfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. My mother gifted me a Westgate TS and I let her, which was my first mistake, but that can’t be changed so now I need advice on how to proceed. Any advice on how to dump this TS, that I never use, would be appreciated.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first major piece of advice is to not hire any of these companies, law firms, or charities that claim they can cancel or exit you from your timeshare. At worst, they're scams. At best, they'll charge you thousands of dollars to do what you can do yourself.

If the TS is fully paid for and the maintenance fees are up to date, you can contact the resort or Westgate's legacy program and ask if they'll take your TS back. They might charge you a fee for this to cover closing costs and possibly the next MF but it will work out cheaper than using any of these exit/relief/cancel firms.

You can also list it for giveaway here in TUG's Bargain Deals section. You can offer to pay the closing costs (about $200) and, if you're serious about getting rid of it, the next MF.

eamansfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first major piece of advice is to not hire any of these companies, law firms, or charities that claim they can cancel or exit you from your timeshare. At worst, they're scams. At best, they'll charge you thousands of dollars to do what you can do yourself.

If the TS is fully paid for and the maintenance fees are up to date, you can contact the resort or Westgate's legacy program and ask if they'll take your TS back. They might charge you a fee for this to cover closing costs and possibly the next MF but it will work out cheaper than using any of these exit/relief/cancel firms.

You can also list it for giveaway here in TUG's Bargain Deals section. You can offer to pay the closing costs (about $200) and, if you're serious about getting rid of it, the next MF.
Thanks. I’ll check with Westgate and possibly list on TUG. Appreciate the advice. Liz

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
wondering on the "gifting" thing.. did the deed get changed and recorded as well. if she just "gave" it to you and she is passed you don't have to do anything. its still hers and you are the benefactor and can refuse it. make life easier.. just a thought.. good luck but know Waste,,er West gate is not a good company to deal with but give it a try.. let them know you are not able to pay the MF and are close to bankruptcy. ")

eamansfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
wondering on the "gifting" thing.. did the deed get changed and recorded as well. if she just "gave" it to you and she is passed you don't have to do anything. its still hers and you are the benefactor and can refuse it. make life easier.. just a thought.. good luck but know Waste,,er West gate is not a good company to deal with but give it a try.. let them know you are not able to pay the MF and are close to bankruptcy. ")
Unfortunately it was a legal transfer, deed changed, etc. Thanks.