• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Honda to Subaru for AWD

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone gone from a Honda to a Subaru and your glad you did?

Been driving Honda's for years and been very happy. Considering going to a Subaru for the AWD feature for occasional winter drives into the Rocky Mountains. They have the new traction laws in CO. Do not think I want a SUV, but will stay with a sedan, now have an Accord so maybe a Legacy?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have a Honda CRV and love it. It's a 2013 and I plan on driving it until either it, or I, fall apart. Dd got a Subaru Crosstrek in January. She is very happy with it. Subarus are very big here in New Mexico. Which Subaru sedan are you looking at that has AWD?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I have a Honda CRV and love it. It's a 2013 and I plan on driving it until either it, or I, fall apart. Dd got a Subaru Crosstrek in January. She is very happy with it. Subarus are very big here in New Mexico. Which Subaru sedan are you looking at that has AWD?
All Subarus have AWD. When CHP sees a Subaru at a checkpoint, they quickly waive you through.

We have an Outback, which is the hatchback version of the Legacy. It has incredible safety systems and is a beast in snow.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
All Subarus have AWD. When CHP sees a Subaru at a checkpoint, they quickly waive you through.

We have an Outback, which is the hatchback version of the Legacy. It has incredible safety systems and is a beast in snow.
Good to know. I know my dd is very happy with her Crosstrek, which is a bit smaller than the Forester and Outback. It has all kinds of fancy gadgets and safety features. As I've gotten older I really like having a bit more car around me, and I like being higher up. I went from a Prius to the Honda CRV. Big change. :) But we moved from California, with no snow, to New Mexico, with snow. After I got stuck getting up the small hill to our house twice in the Prius the first winter we were here, I decided that I needed an AWD.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here in Idaho, Subarus are among the most popular vehicles in snow country. They also have awesome safety scores. that pancake engine that slides under the floor in a collision saves lives.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned 3 Subarus, 2011 Legacy 2.0 Limited, 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited and 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited. I owned a Honda many years ago. To me, Subarus are superior. Best in class for safety (Eyesight) and AWD.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have a CRV and while I like it ok, we have had a few issues with it. Next car will be a Subaru, but that’s a long way off. We love hubby’s Hyundai Santa Fe Sport also.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a 2002 Odyssey, a 2012 Subaru Impreza, and a 2016 Rav4. My wife drives the Impreza after owning a 2000 Accord for 11 years. The Accord could never get up our snowy driveway when she was driving it. The Subaru - never a problem. The Impreza has had no problems in almost 8 years. Doesn't burn oil. She fits well into the car. If you don't like small, the Legacy is a nice step up.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Patti is on her 2nd Subaru Forester in 21 years. She bought her first in 1998. Traded it in on a 2009 during 2008. She loves them. But for long distance drives we take my 2014 Silverado Crew Cab Pickup because it is more comfortable and carries a lot more.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
We bought our DS a new Forester a little over a year ago. He picked it out and was dead set on the Subaru....I thought mainly it was a millennial thing. Either way, he absolutely loves it and I'm thankful for all the passive safety features it has. AWD is icing on the cake (it doesn't usually snow here more than once or twice a year). Personally, I think the Crosstrek is super cute and would consider getting one for the next DS if we have to replace his car. While doing research, I found the Suburu forums very helpful...they even helped lead me to the right dealership to get a great price without having to haggle.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Subaru Foresters are fabulous; just read Consumer Reports! Having owned 7 Subaru Foresters over the years I can tell you that they are very dependable. Just drive them and keep up with the oil changes.

Seriously, they're great in snow, and really great at gripping the roads during heavy rains (which people never think of).

Also, they sit high enough up so that you always have a commanding view of the road in front of you.

Prior to 2011 you used to have to change the timing belt every 100,000 miles, but starting in 2011 the Foresters went to a timing chain so it now never has to be changed.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My daughter just bought a Honda CRV AWD after looking at Subarus (her first choice initially) and Toyota Rav4's. While she really wanted a Crosstrek, the cargo space in the Honda was a better fit for their climbing crashpads (and I believe that the seats folded flat, iirc, so that they could sleep in the back in a pinch. A glimpse into the mind of a climber). But one very surprising deal breaker in the Crosstrek for her was that the seats in the premium model were stitched with orange thread. She hates orange and this wasn't something that could be changed, lol. She still test drove it and claimed to like the Honda better, but I still think that it was the orange stitching was the true issue. For some reason she wouldn't even consider the Forester, and she thought that the Outback was too big. But she loves the Honda, so in the end, that's all that matters.

I would love a Subaru but the seats are uncomfortable for me (as are the Honda and the Toyota for that matter) so I have no idea what my next car will be. Another trip to Carmax to try sitting in every model before I can narrow down my search.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My daughter just bought a Honda CRV AWD after looking at Subaru's (her first choice initially) and Toyota Rav4's. While she really wanted a Crosstrek, the cargo space in the Honda was a better fit for their climbing crashpads (and I believe that the seats folded flat, iirc, so that they could sleep in the back in a pinch. A glimpse into the mind of a climber). But one very surprising deal breaker in the Crosstrek for her was that the seats in the premium model were stitched with orange thread. She hates orange and this wasn't something that could be changed, lol. She still test drove it and claimed to like the Honda better, but I still think that it was the orange stitching was the true issue. For some reason she wouldn't even consider the Forester, and she thought that the Outback was too big. But she loves the Honda, so in the end, that's all that matters.

I would love a Subaru but the seats are uncomfortable for me (as are the Honda and the Toyota for that matter) so I have no idea what my next car will be. Another trip to Carmax to try sitting in every model before I can narrow down my search.
When I bought my Honda CRV I was relying on the research dh did when he was looking for an AWD before we moved. He drove Subaru, Honda, Nissan and a few others before deciding on an Acura. When I decided I also needed an AWD I knew I wanted the Honda based on what he'd seen. He liked the Subaru but for some reason it wasn't his number one pick. He felt the Acura drove more like a sedan, and since he already had an Acura sedan it felt more comfortable to him. He's now driving a BMW X5. I did test drive a Mazda SUV, but didn't like it as well as the Honda. Didn't even consider the Toyota RAV4 as they were much more expensive and at the time you practically had to dismantle the rear seat to get the seats to fold down.

My dd has the stitching in her Crosstrek and thinks it makes it look more sporty. To be truthful I don't know what color the stitching is.

Oh, I have seen reports that say the Honda CRV has more space in the back than other SUVs of its size.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
My daughter just bought a Honda CRV AWD after looking at Subaru's (her first choice initially) and Toyota Rav4's. While she really wanted a Crosstrek, the cargo space in the Honda was a better fit for their climbing crashpads (and I believe that the seats folded flat, iirc, so that they could sleep in the back in a pinch. A glimpse into the mind of a climber). But one very surprising deal breaker in the Crosstrek for her was that the seats in the premium model were stitched with orange thread. She hates orange and this wasn't something that could be changed, lol. She still test drove it and claimed to like the Honda better, but I still think that it was the orange stitching was the true issue. For some reason she wouldn't even consider the Forester, and she thought that the Outback was too big. But she loves the Honda, so in the end, that's all that matters.

They do have fabric markers that people use all the time to change the stitch color
Orange could be changed to several colors as could any lighter thread color

Dark colors are a little more difficult

DDF7330B-7A98-42B7-874B-F7A30D1EBFA5.jpeg

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a little clarification on the term AWD is in order. AWD means that all four wheels are able to propel the vehicle. In a Honda or any vehicle sold in the US with the exception of Quattro Audi's and all Subaru's only two of those four wheels are driving the car. Each wheel on an axel can propel but not both at once. Audi's and Subaru's have a system that uses a special clutch that allows all four wheels to propel all the time. When negotiating a curve the outside wheels spin faster than the inside wheels so the car turns smoothly rather than jerk around the turn like a 4WD locked in 4WD.

To sum up, Audi's and Subaru's have the safest drive systems of any car in the US.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
They do have fabric markers that people use all the time to change the stitch color
Orange could be changed to several colors as could any lighter thread color

Dark colors are a little more difficult

View attachment 13369
I suggested a black sharpie but she said why pay $30k+ and have to use sharpie on my upholstery? I can't believe that they chose orange though. It's such a specific color.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I think a sharpie if it got on the leather would be permanent and a fabric pen would wipe off
Not 100% certain about the fabric pen??

Just for future reference

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just walked into house after a 550+ mile weekend trip in my Forester Subaru. Good sight lines, comfortable seats, quiet running, SOLID road traction, etc. My 90ish aunt gave me this vehicle several years ago with under 15K miles .... and it is my #1 vehicle.

It now has over 60K in miles and NO ISSUES. I get the oil changed regularly.

Years ago ... I had a 4 door Honda Accord. Decent car but not a keeper. Put about 50K miles are that vehicle.

Subaru is a keeper.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had a 2010 Honda CRV and in Feb I need it a new car, we test drove many including the new CRV, but once we drove the Subaru Forester that was it. The problem was that was tough to find one because we did not want the base model. They are only few dealers around and they will sell them pretty fast. We use it to go skiing a lot in winter up to Mammoth mtns. One of the best choices I ever made...

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I think a little clarification on the term AWD is in order. AWD means that all four wheels are able to propel the vehicle. In a Honda or any vehicle sold in the US with the exception of Quattro Audi's and all Subaru's only two of those four wheels are driving the car. Each wheel on an axel can propel but not both at once. Audi's and Subaru's have a system that uses a special clutch that allows all four wheels to propel all the time. When negotiating a curve the outside wheels spin faster than the inside wheels so the car turns smoothly rather than jerk around the turn like a 4WD locked in 4WD.

To sum up, Audi's and Subaru's have the safest drive systems of any car in the US.
Do you have a source/cite for this?

Brett

Reaction score

I don't speak for the poster but Subaru is usually at the top of Consumer Reports new car ratings - reliability, safety, etc
this is a truncated listing for the April 2019 new car guide

2019 CR car guide.jpg

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score

These two links will explain the Audi/Subaru permanent 4WD systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro_(four-wheel-drive_system)
Symmetrical_All_Wheel_Drive

If you were referring to my last statement about those drive systems being the safest, you'll just have to educate yourself about the various peculiarities of how car manufacturers transmit engine power to the wheels. Once you understand the differences there is no question which system is the safest.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
My 1999 Toyota Landcruiser is 4WD all the time. Once had a big fight in the car with DH about this...he said it was AWD and I said no, it's 4WD and there is a difference, because 4WD is constant.

The gas mileage it gets is horrible but the sticking power on the road is magnificent. BTW, I finally quit arguing with him (I knew I was right) and he later came back after doing research to tell me I was correct (though now that I think about it he never did admit to being wrong, haha). Anyway, 4WD is the best!

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Another Subaru observation:

Last year my son was living in an area that was hard hit by Hurricane Michael (coastal NC). He was late to evacuate and early to return due to having a hospital rotation assignment at the time. Even with flooded roads and bad conditions, not to mention crazy middle of the night drives, his Suburu got him through!