• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island 2020 Here We Come!!!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Received confirmation this week that we are booked for our Oct 2020 trip to The Big Island. This will be our families first trip to The Big Island. Pre marriage and children, I’ve travelled to Maui and Oahu but never to Big Island. So this will be exciting for all of us.
My Mom is even coming to celebrate her bday so hoping to corral my immediate as well as extended family for a mini reunion.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Enjoy! Love the Big Island. And how special you'll be spending it there with family.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We are going this October. Something to be aware of, the Ironman triathlon is in October. It can affect the traffic going to Kona from Waikoloa, so best to avoid going to town the day of, you will see a lot of athletes training the week before. We either stay at the resort or go over to Hilo the day of the race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We are going this October. Something to be aware of, the Ironman triathlon is in October. It can affect the traffic going to Kona from Waikoloa, so best to avoid going to town the day of, you will see a lot of athletes training the week before. We either stay at the resort or go over to Hilo the day of the race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks. I checked the schedule. Ironman Championship 2020 is in New Zealand

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
That is the World Championship Ironman 70.3 in New Zealand. Kona always is home to the full Ironman World championship in October.....lots of visitors and athletes then.....

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Congratulations. Which resort will you be staying at?

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually tell people to stay away from the Big Island. But that is because we want it all to ourselves!

Great place with lots of things to do. More on that later if you would like.

There WILL be an Ironman event in Oct of 2020. Usually the race is the 2nd Saturday of the month and on that day it can take 2-3 hours to travel between Waikoloa and the airport.

The week before, there are a lot of runners and cyclists on the road so be aware. Stay at the resort on the day of the race (essentially can't get anywhere anyway unless you leave early and get back late) but otherwise not really a problem. Not usually a issue with tours, restaurants, golf courses, beaches etc as they are there to race. A lot of the locals don't care for the race because it takes up hotel space with people who don't eat, drink or book tours while making driving a pain in the coconut.

The MOST important point, if you are there the week of Ironman, RENT YOUR CAR EARLY. Rental cars sell out and or become very expensive the closer you get to the race.

We happen to be going there this year during Ironman. Not a problem as long as you are aware and plan ahead.

Have a great time.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Ironman on the Big Island is October 10, 2020.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
We just recently moved from Kona after living many years on the island....everything you say is true but it has been our experience that most locals do not like the huge change to the community with over 25,000 visitors descending on small Kona for several weeks and changing how daily life is lived. The economic boon to Kona is is the 10's of millions so believe me no one is complaining about that. Plus monies go to community organizations, charities and scholarships.

A great way to experience the race is to be a volunteer. It makes the day very exciting and you feel like you are helping out and not just hanging out. Many many visitors come every year to specifically volunteer for the race and choose that as part of their vacation. We have met wonderful people from all over the world as volunteers. Working the finish line can be very helpful.

Here is info: https://ironman.volunteerlocal.com/volunteer/?id=33149

It is very motivating to get to support such great world class athletes and their stories are all very motivating.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent. Definitely our favorite of the HGVC Hawai'i locations. Enjoy!

Cheers.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Thanks everyone. We are not there during Ironman. I made sure to go after since I was unsure of the conflicting info on the Web.

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bay Club is our favorite because of the large lanai.

Hopefully you booked an "A" floor plan two bedroom. If you didn't, call and request one about 2 weeks out (I know you are over a year away...). Usually they have flexibility in late Oct as it is low season.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

Hopefully you booked an "A" floor plan two bedroom. If you didn't, call and request one about 2 weeks out (I know you are over a year away...). Usually they have flexibility in late Oct as it is low season.
I just booked early December there. But I booked the 2-BR Villa (2-BR Plus VL6). The only other 2-BR available is an AD7. I chose the Villa because it's got an extra half-bath and is about 200 sq. ft bigger. I'll be there with 2 or 3 other guys (golf trip). Is there a reason to switch to the AD7?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club

We are actually in a Villa. Purposely bought a resale Villa.

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked early December there. But I booked the 2-BR Villa (2-BR Plus VL6). The only other 2-BR available is an AD7. I chose the Villa because it's got an extra half-bath and is about 200 sq. ft bigger. I'll be there with 2 or 3 other guys (golf trip). Is there a reason to switch to the AD7?

The Villas are great.

Only issue with the Villas is you don't know if you will get a golf course view or a road view. Golf course view much better but may not matter to you. With an "A" floor plan (AD5, AD6,AD7,AD8) you will always have a golf course view. In both cases, Villa or A, you may be on ground or second floor. The AP5-8 units are same floor plan but third floor. I have booked AD units and gotten AP in the past.

I don't remember if the Villas have single beds in both rooms or if one of them has two doubles. Someone else may be able to answer. The A floor plan has a king in the master room and two doubles in the second bedroom.

With 3-4 guys, you may not want a B floor plan. Second bedroom has only 1 double bed.

Love to Golf the Big Island. Happy to share my thoughts on where to golf if you are not a Big Island golf veteran.

BTW - Steeler Girl: Great decision to buy Bay Club Villa.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The Villas are great.

Only issue with the Villas is you don't know if you will get a golf course view or a road view. Golf course view much better but may not matter to you. With an "A" floor plan (AD5, AD6,AD7,AD8) you will always have a golf course view. In both cases, Villa or A, you may be on ground or second floor. The AP5-8 units are same floor plan but third floor. I have booked AD units and gotten AP in the past.

I don't remember if the Villas have single beds in both rooms or if one of them has two doubles. Someone else may be able to answer. The A floor plan has a king in the master room and two doubles in the second bedroom.

With 3-4 guys, you may not want a B floor plan. Second bedroom has only 1 double bed.

Love to Golf the Big Island. Happy to share my thoughts on where to golf if you are not a Big Island golf veteran.

BTW - Steeler Girl: Great decision to buy Bay Club Villa.
That's great info. But it brings me back to my question, assuming a Villa is reserved, does it help to call a week or so ahead and request a golf course view and/or 2nd floor?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
That's great info. But it brings me back to my question, assuming a Villa is reserved, does it help to call a week or so ahead and request a golf course view and/or 2nd floor?

It doesn’t hurt to try. I know some resorts do put it in the system. I requested the highest floor at Ocean 22 (called 2 weeks in advance) and they honored my request.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
It doesn’t hurt to try. I know some resorts do put it in the system. I requested the highest floor at Ocean 22 (called 2 weeks in advance) and they honored my request.
We've been very successful at Lagoon Tower by calling a few days ahead. My wife can be very charming. <g>

fernow

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bay Club will prioritize owners (like SteelerGal) as they should but otherwise will try to honor requests. Call two weeks before. Ask to talk to the manager (they do the unit assignments) and make your request. Make note of who you talked to.

One time we did this and got a road view Villa at check in but when I told them specifically who I had talked to, they reassigned us to a golf course Villa.

The road view units are still quite nice and to be fair, they have a "garden view"... with the road directly behind it.